Prototype 3d priting a case (aka preventing corona meltdown of brain)

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
so how to start hmm?

so i have made 3 different cases more and less ready so far.
right now i am holding my ryzen asrock itx mobo / R7 1800x + GTX 1060 rig at partly printed and partly alu extrusion made open air case
yet i wanted another case for my hdplex 160, i7 4770s and old haswell itx mobo/maybe i can even move ryzen rig to this if i find good enough moddable gpu
and manage to get newer hdplex 200 at some point.
meanwhile it also works keeping me going at these time of corona ?

after my friend teached me some fusion 360 magic i managed to get some parts designed
atm i write this i have assembled reversions of 4 invidual parts top/bottom, i/0 panel side and front panel.

next thing to tackle is cooling the gpu (testing with my old 750 ti and some modding atm) and
keep case 1 slottish for gpu and be able to toss in 1060 with hdmi/other connectors at one row or maybe 1050 ti.

i hope these images tell what i am been doing so far, when ever work from being farmworker lends some time doing so,
if i manage to get this to work i am planning to put files up at thingiverse for others to enjoy as well ?

yours - jere ( also i apoligize for any language errors, i understand english better than i write it am afraid)

design:

some case assembled so far:

gpu hacking and cooling thinking via dynatron DB127015 fan (shows old/never design)

Windfall

Shrink Ray Wielder
SFFn Staff
Nov 14, 2017
so how to start hmm?

so i have made 3 different cases more and less ready so far.
right now i am holding my ryzen asrock itx mobo / R7 1800x + GTX 1060 rig at partly printed and partly alu extrusion made open air case
yet i wanted another case for my hdplex 160, i7 4770s and old haswell itx mobo/maybe i can even move ryzen rig to this if i find good enough moddable gpu
and manage to get newer hdplex 200 at some point.
meanwhile it also works keeping me going at these time of corona ?

after my friend teached me some fusion 360 magic i managed to get some parts designed
atm i write this i have assembled reversions of 4 invidual parts top/bottom, i/0 panel side and front panel.

next thing to tackle is cooling the gpu (testing with my old 750 ti and some modding atm) and
keep case 1 slottish for gpu and be able to toss in 1060 with hdmi/other connectors at one row or maybe 1050 ti.

i hope these images tell what i am been doing so far, when ever work from being farmworker lends some time doing so,
if i manage to get this to work i am planning to put files up at thingiverse for others to enjoy as well ?

yours - jere ( also i apoligize for any language errors, i understand english better than i write it am afraid)

design:

some case assembled so far:

gpu hacking and cooling thinking via dynatron DB127015 fan (shows old/never design)

I love the GPU cooling solution, and the colors are spot on!
What material are you printing in?

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Well done. Love seeing new guys showing their stuff here. I like the color, but as Windfall asked, what material are you sing to print?

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
I love the GPU cooling solution, and the colors are spot on!
What material are you printing in?
hello windwall, as robbee predicted and loader963 seems to have asked aswell, i am printing with pteg as i tested with pla with one of my case reversions and top part can not handle heat from gpu with pla sadly, pteg holded strong for over a half a year before i moved my ryzen system to open air case, i am using 1,2mm nozzle atm with 0,6 layers... yeah i like speed? for more "fine" finish i have some 1,0mm nozzles if needed- yours jere

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
greetings, i made some modifications for part that acts as pcie risers and mobos holder, in order to have more flush connection point for riser and reduce some stress within the riser itself.
i took some photos of the progress, they show vitamins; 3mm sized moborisers, 3mm bolts, 3mm rivet nuts and 4mm bolts for riser
after this i can get into testing temps at some evining via using multiplie 3d mark runs and maybe some games too ?
before modding the holder part, side panel would have been open by 1mm at the upper side ?
yours - jere

some photos:

installing mobo holders parts

pcie riser stuff

new shiny parts installed and using screw to lock gpu inplace (wobble prevention)

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
sadly i need to report that my idea did indeed work, my 750 ti stayed between 65-67c when using firestrike as a test (barely ideal temp for card with modded 55w tdp)
but the noise from dynatrons fan is way too loud at 65%-75% speed to get temp stay there ? so it seems that i need to use either my plan b. lc-powers LC-CC-65 or plan c. silverstone nt07-115x when they shall arrive and get them to my anxiously waiting hands for modding, i do know that sliverstone one will work atleast since it has been used by other makers/modders/builders to cool low tdp gpus ?

i shall update my thread when i get moddings for them done and temps tested, after that i can make some game tests with mixed medium settings i presume?
thanks for all who have read about my adventure for single slot case so far❤

yours- jere

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
i made quick, very ugly mod to lc powers cooler, sometimes you need to sacrifice something for your hobbies? i am going to get proper hobby drill press to get better and straight holes ? that way i can install another of these after it arrives using proper 4 point method with m3 threads but first i need to save money for drill press ? meanwhile two point mounted dirty mod via hand drill, made with shaky hands worked. i nearly spitted my coca cola as i monitored the temp and noise levels, the temp at firestrike result image is ~4-5 celsius higher than with v sync, so temp is quite good considering that this cooler is much more quiet?

yours - jere

very ugly test mod:

fire strike results:

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
after having some time to think this project, i was eyeballing my very,very,very bad drilling job ? desided to see if silverstones nt07-115x copper core could be removed, and thus enabling me 3d print/maybe ask friend make aluminium mounting adapter for gpu cooling.
if possible i would not need to worry about making holes. for my joy ? i was succesfull and proceeded to create protype, then installed it, still needs to add small lip to ensure that adapter does not bend too much when tightened and find out if there is m3 female to female standoffs enough short to use so that gpus back side would not have bolts sticking out. need to see temp results when ever i get time from farm things.

some pics to show the process, also last post has some pics issue that i did not realize, i am sorry for that.

yours - jere

jerewarrior

Chassis Packer
Original poster
May 25, 2020
after making 3rd iteration for silverstone mod i finally managed to get enough pressure and good temps, after todays tuning, with 50w bios, core got with 750 ti 1416 mhz and memory to 1700 ~1750 mhz and for my joy max temps dropped from 88c to 47~50c with fan speed of 100%~80% as a result of enough pressure to gpu die. hopefully picture works this time😖, some day i need to make side panels for this case and get some use for it. i am also waiting for arrival of antec isk 110 for new ~ 1,5 slottish gpu adventures inorder to try make my main pc smaller 🙂 yours - jere