Concept 3D printing a test computer...

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Hey Guys,

I never knew this forum existed. So glad that I found it.

I've liked SFF pc's for a while, and even stuffed a couple tiny boxes (Antec 110).

But now I want to do a special case and 3D print it.

Why? Well, there is no room in the Antec 110 case for a hot swap disk bay. I want to build a test bed pc that has a small power supply, a hot swap disk bay, and of course, the mini itx. I started picking up parts this morning. More parts are on their way from Amazon. I'll grab pics of course.

Meanwhile, the case. I think it makes sense to do it in 3 layers. The base which will hold the power supply and the hot swap disk bay. The middle layer which will hold the mini itx board, and the top layer which is really the lid, but will hold some kind of a mesh for venting.

I've only started modeling, and all I have to show is the middle layer. Here's what I am thinking...

Mike...

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Okay, I modeled up the bottom layer a bit. Not quite done, but just wanted to show you where I am at so far. There's a couple technical problems. Can you see what they are?

But anyways, here's the pic.

Mike...

Reactions: owliwar

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Any one else having a problem seeing the images? They show up fine for me, whether I am logged in or not...

Mike...

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Slight change in plans... The bottom layer is going to be printed open, so that I have access to the hot swap drive and the power supply without pulling all the wires off every time I want to open it...

BTW, the volume looks to be about 361 cu in, or 5.9L. Does that seem right?

Mike...

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Well, the main part of the case came off the printer a few minutes ago...

And wouldn't you know it, my Amazon package also arrived a few minutes ago.

Immediately I see several problems...

The switch is too small for the hole.

The walls are too thin.

The supports for the LED strip are too fragile.

The standoffs are not perpendicular to the floor of the case. :-(

Well, I guess if it was easy, every one would do it, and no one would sell cases any more.

Any suggestions?

Here's the pics...

Mike...

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
So the bottom section came off the printer today... Without the floor it's quite wobbly! I can see I am going to have to stiffen it up. And I also have to add another notch to get the wiring from the power supply to the hot swap disks... Look at the pics... see what I mean?

This area needs a notch for the wires to get through...

Last edited:
Reactions: owliwar

chyll2

Master of Cramming
Jun 27, 2018
Btw. Is that the flex PSU from PSU. I've been monitoring your thread but have been silent cause you seem to know what you are doing and I know nothing about 3d printing.

mikeschn

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2018
Hey Guys,

Here's the hardware I am planning on using. See below...

Chyll2, yes the power supply is a flex sfx 300 watt. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M6V8O8T/?tag=theminutiae-20

Windfall, originally I was just going to print a flat cover with hex shaped holes in it, or an expanded mesh glued into the center part of the printed cover. Now I am toying with the idea of using plexiglass, with holes cut into it. But adequate ventilation is still required, and the expanded mesh seems to be the best option for that.

The 3mm walls are much too thin for a case of this size. So my next iteration is going to be 6mm walls.

Here's what the design looks like with 6mm walls. It doesn't look like much of a change, but it should be a lot stronger. I'm still thinking about adding some braces in the bottom tray.

Mike...

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
How long does the printing take? If it was me I'll prob just start shaving stuff with hand tools (while revising the design of course)

What printer are you using currently?

I've always dreamed of owning one but afraid it'll just be a toy... I can't think of any more or less frequent usage - since I like functional printable stuff, not toys and knick knacks.

jho

Efficiency Noob
Mar 28, 2018
How are the walls not strong enough? I have seen 2mm thick 3D printed stuff that's very strong.

What material do you print and what's your infill percentage?

Duality92

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 12, 2018
3mm should be strong enough with higher percentage infill, unless you're not getting adequate layer bonding, heck, printing 2mm walls with ABS yields strong parts from my experience, 6mm is just overkill unless you want to tap it and have screws in it with minimal chance of stripping.

Reactions: CC Ricers

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Is this standard PLA plastic or ABS? The latter would be much more durable for functional parts. At least with a lot of infill. I would have thought that 3mm thickness will hold up especially since you arranged the print layers lengthwise along the longer dimensions.

It's got me a bit worried about using 3D Hubs now because I have no idea how much infill the parts will have and there seems to be no options for customers to set the amount of infill they want. Still more affordable than Shapeways, though...