3700X build

Zeta09

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
I have an NCase M-1 already.

I am planning to build a 3700x w/ASUS ROG StriX 470-I w/ some G-Skill Trident Neo Z RAM and put these components in it

I am in search of a LP cooler with this setup. Do any of you have any recs or are using a similar combo.

Thanks in advance

Zeta09

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
Yeah....

As I feared. There just isn't many out there with the combo that I'm looking for.

I guess this is the most like candidate: Prolimatech PRO-SAM17 Samuel 17

This is also promising but I will have to research further. I hope someone here can provide me better info or advice.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
A @ParallaxStax mentioned, you've got a lot more clearance than you think. Unless you plan on doing something custom that limits your cooler height, we would have to know what the max height can be so that we can give you some suggestions. That Prolimatech with a 25mm fan would be around 70mm tall, and there are many other options around that height.

Zeta09

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
@ParallaxStax: You're right. I guess it may not make that much of a difference but I am attempting to get a Cooler that is not humungous but can still cool the 3700X effeciently. With size being no issue I guess which cooler would you use?

@Jello: Ok of the options that you're thinking of which Cooler would you rec?

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
@ParallaxStax: You're right. I guess it may not make that much of a difference but I am attempting to get a Cooler that is not humungous but can still cool the 3700X effeciently. With size being no issue I guess which cooler would you use?

You have 3 options. The Noctua NH-U9S, the Noctua NH-C14S, or a 240mm AIO.

The U9S is a 92mm tower style cooler. Many people attach a extra 92mm fan to it for push-pull. This is the only option that allows you to use the 3.5in HDD bracket. The cooler itself is $60, with another fan being another $16.

The C14S is a top down air cooler. It has the better performance than the U9S, but has some compatibility issues, such as the power supply must be in the atx position. It costs $75.

The third option is a 240 mm all in one watercooling loop. This has the highest ceiling of all 3 options, but some hate pump noise. Others are also afraid of potential leaks. This is the most expensive option ranging from $70 to $150.

I, personally choose the U9S, but I am only cooling a 2600X, so not that hot of a chip. If you look in the ncase subforum, there are many threads about CPU cooling in the ncase, which go into more detail than I have.

Reactions: Jello

Zeta09

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Mar 13, 2020
IC
I have a 9s right now cooling an i5 8400 so that is GREAT news if you're right about the best choice of cooling. The 3700X will be a 65W chip so although I don't think, I'll try to push it much I have built ones in the past, got bored start tinkering and realize I was getting decent returns.

Thanks a heap. I will look into that sub.