2080ti Founders GPU doesnt line up with the slot properly on M1 V5?!

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Hey guys,

To the best of my knowledge I have installed everything properly but I cannot get the 2080ti founders edition to seat properly in the case.

For some reason its not letting me post the pic directly.

These are the slimmest displayport cables I could find and I still cant get the top one in all the way. I dont want to have to modify the case but im not sure what else to do.

Amonchakai

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 28, 2019
I just had a look at my M1, looks quite the same:

The card is different (a Titan X Pascal)

And for comparison, if I look at my 2009 MacPro:

It is quite the same "problem", although now it is towards the bottom (and a different card, RX570).

Anyway, in both case I don't have any particular problem as the screens works fine. But it seems that is quite challenging to have the port of the cards aligned with the holes ?

Edit : now I think about it, the GPU in the MacPro is flipped compared to the M1. So both show the exact same thing : the connector of the second level is a bit higher than the position of the hole. So it seems a fairly standard issue.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I think I remember reading about this problem. The guy finally just shaved off some of the plastic from the DP insert (ie the red portion in this pic). It is not a pretty solution but it is much better than damaging the case.

Reactions: rfarmer

thefiend1

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Oct 6, 2017
Damn, turns out thats what I had to do. I used a Dremel on it because it had a metal housing instead of plastic. I have no idea why they make these connector housings so huge. Thanks guys!