2 x 120mm on GPU

Cel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
Found it, the cooler actually has an orientation, one side is supposed to be towards the m.2 since it has more clearance there.
I'm also back to intake in the bottom of the case, reason being not much difference in temps but alot more noise when they are acting exhaust.

This is not uncommon with the L9i on Asus boards. Josh from NFC Systems (S4M) has some videos on this, it's a well documented (potential) issue. There's only ONE way the L9i can go on those boards, as one side of the fins have a small offset to allow for M.2 heatsinks. (And I think that's the word you were looking for, right? 'Heatsink'?)

I don't think I ever saw my 8400 go above 80 in my S4M with an L9i. It's likely still not sitting properly.

BTW - I also have a B360-I and I just removed the I/O shield altogether. Two small screws on the underside of the motherboard. I couldn't fit my NH-L12S otherwise. BTW, the 360-I does have some advantages over the Z370-I : BT 5.0, faster Wi-Fi, and native USB 3.1 Gen 2.

Yeah, I noticed that after about 10 times ;P
Also changed the thermal paste from Arctic Silver 5 to the noctua-one, NT-h1?
Anyway, looking up the temps they are supposed to be around 65-66 degrees celsius + room-temp, which ends up at around 85, which is the case now when I've used some more paste, and did some prime 95 for 10-15 mins.

I have to loosen 2 screws in the corner to get the damn mobo in and out since it's so massive, hahah :D

I thought the z-series were always better?

One thing that worked better on the z370 was that I could run my memory-sticks that are native 3000mhz in 3200mhz with no issues, but that wouldn't fly here.

After 1,5 days of taking the mobo in and out so many times I'm now a tad thinking about moving to ncase m1, so much nicer to work with etc.
Dan a4 is smaller but a true pain to work in I'm afraid.

Last edited:

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
True, but once you've built and tested it and you're happy with it (i.e. shouldn't have to open it up all the time), the Dan is a fair bit smaller. But yes, the M1 is a fantastic case too.

Cel

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Jul 15, 2018
True, but once you've built and tested it and you're happy with it (i.e. shouldn't have to open it up all the time), the Dan is a fair bit smaller. But yes, the M1 is a fantastic case too.

True, but what I think is a downside is the option of coolers for the cpu.
I mean, sure I can get a 645 or similar but don't like aio's. Noctua vs c7 vs black ridge, looks like same performance more or less.
Although,could just loose the side panel and go for a tower-cooler :D

SilverJS

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 8, 2018
Certainly true, and I share your uneasiness with AIOs for a small computer that's meant for travel. But, I think that for the vast majority of users, a Black Ridge V2 with VLP RAM and 120mm 12x15 fan would be more than enough cooling capacity, and silent too. That's my plan if I do end up going for the Dan, or the ZS-A4 V2. (Steck is also on my short list, but that one can take my current NH-L12S.)