Calliing all DanCase SFF Experts Asus Z370i m.2 temperature problems

botlebruiser

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Hey guys, my build works great for the most part. The one problem I've always had with this build is my m.2 boot drive mounted topside on my board. I use two m.2 drives and one 2.5 ssd. My boot drive is a Samsung 960 Evo mounted next to the cpu on my mobo. I have a 523gb nvme samsung drive mounted on the bottom side of my mobo. I've seen a lot of questions and guy showing concern about temperature issues with the m.2 on the bottom of the mobo. Its backed up to the gpu. Makes sense. But my problem is with the one topside. This motherboard has two aluminum brackets on each side of the m.2 drive where the heatsink mounts to. I'm curious if anyone has had any luck with any of the aftermarket m.2 coolers with
fans. I think thats what it is going to take to keep this thing cool. Hit 93 celcius. I didn't think to get a snapshot when it was that hot but I think its at 88 celcius in the pic I provided.

Snapshot M.3 Temp

botlebruiser

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Did you removed the plastic foil that is attached to the thermal pad on the Asus M.2 heatsink?
I did. I picked up an EKWB heatsink which fits nice and tight. It also has an aluminum plate that goes on the bottom of the drive with a very thin thermal pad that goes between the bottom plate and the bottom. I put this heatsink on the drive and right now I have a small 25mm fan pushing air to it. I am going to order a couple 40mm noctua fans to mount over the mobo. So its solved as of now. Love this case by the way man. I missed your first kickstarted but got in on the second one. I will buy a C4 if it happens. I am holding out on a case that supports liquid cooling to see if its released. Thanks for the reply dude

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I did. I picked up an EKWB heatsink which fits nice and tight. It also has an aluminum plate that goes on the bottom of the drive with a very thin thermal pad that goes between the bottom plate and the bottom. I put this heatsink on the drive and right now I have a small 25mm fan pushing air to it. I am going to order a couple 40mm noctua fans to mount over the mobo. So its solved as of now. Love this case by the way man. I missed your first kickstarted but got in on the second one. I will buy a C4 if it happens. I am holding out on a case that supports liquid cooling to see if its released. Thanks for the reply dude

Did the EKWB m.2 heatsink solve your temp issues on the m.2? I'm having the same issue and purchased the same but not sure I want to go through a rebuild if its not helpful.

Also, how are temps on the m.2 drive on the back of the motherboard? I only have one m.2 and wondering if swapping it into that position will help with temps.

botlebruiser

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Apr 10, 2019
Did the EKWB m.2 heatsink solve your temp issues on the m.2? I'm having the same issue and purchased the same but not sure I want to go through a rebuild if its not helpful.

Also, how are temps on the m.2 drive on the back of the motherboard? I only have one m.2 and wondering if swapping it into that position will help with temps.
I have since upgraded to an Asus z390i not that it’s any different in this way. But it actually ended up being an issue with the drive on the back of the board.i mixed them up. I have a fan sitting on top of the case to pull heat but just ordered two noctua 40x20mm fans to mount inside the case to pull the hot air from between the graphics card and the motherboard.

Ranker

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2018
I have since upgraded to an Asus z390i not that it’s any different in this way. But it actually ended up being an issue with the drive on the back of the board.i mixed them up. I have a fan sitting on top of the case to pull heat but just ordered two noctua 40x20mm fans to mount inside the case to pull the hot air from between the graphics card and the motherboard.
I would consider using thermal pads so that you can use the motherboard tray itself as one large heatsink for the m.2 drive

Reactions: kiehl