Log [12V] B01T3 ...a 3L Brickless APU Build...

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You could always put something insulating in between the heatsink and NAND. Even a couple layers of paper might be enough to avoid them getting noticeably warmed up.
Yeah I had something like that in mind, will try with some foam sticked to the heatsink.
Waiting for a proper M.2 length heatsink to arrive, so that it will stay centered above the M.2 drive. I just hope it will be as much efficient as my home made one...

Reactions: Valantar

APU_enthusiast

Efficiency Noob
Jun 3, 2021
I also have a 3400G, Aorus B450 ITX, 970 Evo+ system but slapped together with the AMD stock cooler in a 10L case. 3L brickless-ness is really inspiring.

Reactions: BaK

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Got my new M.2 heatsink, it weighs 9g vs 21g for my custom one.
As talked about before, some (white) foam has been added to prevent the heatsink from touching the NANDs area.

And now for the new results with the SM benchmark:
- The EVO plus controller hit a max of 64°C (NAND T° max 59°C)
- The EVO controller didn't get past 58°C (NAND T° max 54°C)
I redid the Samsung magician's benchmark, and got a max temp of 71°C for the Evo controller (59°C for the NAND).
It obviously performs a bit less but it's still ok I guess.
Ambient temp can also be a factor, as I am also getting warmer temps with the EVO plus today (67°C controller / 60°C NAND)

I will keep an eye on these temps during common tasks usage.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Finally made a little cap to hide the enlarged USB holes I made initially for additional switches.
That's what I had in mind

But the letters were to tiny to be incorporated into the 3D print, so I kept it simple

After some light sanding, no holes on the side of the case anymore!

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Wow, that's an awesome piece of labour, looks so perfect. Did you spray paint it?
Thanks!
Perfect until you look aŧ it closely! ;)
I'm especially not so happy with the holes positions, I should invest in a better drill press!
But yep more time work on that piece of steel compared to aluminium, even at a thickness of 0.75mm only! The Dremel made a lot of sparks ☄️, was fun!
I played it safe with such a thin plate to maximize the gap between the fan and the CPU cooler.

Looks powder coated, but of course I may be wrong. :)
Just 3-4 layers of a black spray paint intended for cars after some light sanding. :)

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Thanks!
I'm especially not so happy with the holes positions, I should invest in a better drill press!
But yep more time work on that piece of steel compared to aluminium, even at a thickness of 0.75mm only! The Dremel made a lot of sparks ☄️, was fun!
I played it safe with such a thin plate to maximize the gap between the fan and the CPU cooler.
Centering holes from a tracing is really hard though. Maybe worth investing in a set of self-centering drill bits, and using the original parts as a guide instead? I've never seen those in metric sizes though, which is weird.
Just 3-4 layers of a black spray paint intended for cars after some light sanding. :)
I'm always impressed at how good hand made parts can look with some care and finishing. This is no exception.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
Centering holes from a tracing is really hard though.
Indeed, I always try to check from every angles that the drill bit is centered but it's rarely the case in the end.
I suspect the mandril of my drill press to be loose and moving off center when it starts to rotate.
Could also be the the rotational speed of the drill, that I never change, which perhaps makes hard for the drill bit to operate as expected, dunno...

Maybe worth investing in a set of self-centering drill bits, and using the original parts as a guide instead? I've never seen those in metric sizes though, which is weird.
Thanks for letting me know these exist!
Surely the things to use when there is a guide available!

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Indeed, I always try to check from every angles that the drill bit is centered but it's rarely the case in the end.
I suspect the mandril of my drill press to be loose and moving off center when it starts to rotate.
Could also be the the rotational speed of the drill, that I never change, which perhaps makes hard for the drill bit to operate as expected, dunno...

Thanks for letting me know these exist!
Surely the things to use when there is a guide available!
Yeah, I just found out about those drill bits recently (from one of Adam Savage's videos, I think?). They seem absolutely brilliant for what they do, and I would imagine them being extremely useful for custom case building, whether it's for screws, standoffs, rivets, or something else - I've always been terrified of trying to align holes in two sheets of metal, for example, and these should fix that easily. I also think the drill bits themselves are removable from the spring-loaded sleeve/holder thing, so for metric sizes it might be feasible to just swap them out with off-the-shelf drill bits (as long as they aren't too thick or too long/short). Of course these bits don't necessarily align with all hole sizes (higher quality versions with tapered ends are more flexible though), and I've seen some that are really low quality (i.e. where the bit isn't actually centered in the sleeve, rendering them useless). YMMV, as always.

NegativeONE

Average Stuffer
Apr 8, 2022
Thanks!

for the rookie here who hasnt used a dremel, what cutting bit do you use for cutting metal? i bought a 12v milwalkee tool that is a similar machine, but dont know what im really doing.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
for the rookie here who hasnt used a dremel, what cutting bit do you use for cutting metal? i bought a 12v milwalkee tool that is a similar machine, but dont know what im really doing.
Good cutting wheels for metal are a must. You get those rust-brown cutting wheels that supposedly cut metal - and they do, but they disintegrate after a few seconds of use. You need something fiberglass reinforced or similar. I bought a set of Dremel's original cutting discs with their quick-release mandrel, which was more than worth it - they cut well, and replacing wheels was so much easier than with anything screw-mounted. The most important part is getting some type of reinforced wheels though.

BaK

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Bronze Supporter
May 17, 2016
You need something fiberglass reinforced or similar. I bought a set of Dremel's original cutting discs with their quick-release mandrel, which was more than worth it - they cut well, and replacing wheels was so much easier than with anything screw-mounted
Confirmed!
The Dremel disc I used for this fan bracket (yet steel!), almost didn't shrink!

For the quick and release mandrel, from what I see quickly, the Milkwalkee does not seem to come with one.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
Confirmed!
The Dremel disc I used for this fan bracket (yet steel!), almost didn't shrink!

For the quick and release mandrel, from what I see quickly, the Milkwalkee does not seem to come with one.
My cheap copy didn't either, but Dremel sells kits with that and a couple of cutting wheels. Not necessary, but very convenient.