Prebuilt Zotac EN980

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
Original poster
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I think the water cooling solves the noise and ventilation issue. I think it's possible to have a much smaller air cooled version but most people complain about those smaller PCs sounding like jet engines and still hitting 90C or worse. If this just has a single 120mm fan I guess the noise won't be such an issue, and if it blows directly out the top then it's dissipating heat pretty efficiently.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That's just it: they could have used heatpipes and a single large heatsink with a decent fan and achieved the same without needing tubing and a pump. Along with the benefits of no noise from the pump (a common issue), possible leakage/failure and no refilling needed.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm on the same side as Phuncz. They could've made it smaller still if they were not going for watercooling. The pump has to take up a very considerable amount of space in that PC. Now that we know you can put a 980Ti and a dedicated PSU into a case of less than 5L, 5.9L with two external bricks isn't that impressive as it would've been two or three years ago.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Anandtech reviewed it: http://www.anandtech.com/show/10595...view-an-innovative-vrready-gaming-powerhouse/

Eek ! o_O

I'm hoping they'll be able to refine it some more with the new generation GPUs.

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
Project Quantum, although of similar size, at least looked better. I'm wondering if AMD will actually launch that- my guess is they're holding out for Zen to bring it to market since they wouldn't sell with an Intel CPU as they did when demoing it.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I don't believe AMD will release a complete PC like that any time soon, it's quite the risk and much more complex than releasing components of a PC. But I would like to have seen some OEM bring Project Quantum to life, if it really was commercially viable.

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
I think the main impediment to quantum is the component setup.

To make it work, they had to custom build a riser to reverse the direction of the video card, and then they used all the front panel connectors as the rear panel. It's nice for a demonstration unit, but far to much of a kludge for an actual retail model, so you're likely looking at a custom board if they go to retail unless they can convince a board manufacturer to make one with a PCIe slot on the other side which, so far, we've only seen a limited number of OEM only products bound for mainly AIO use.