zotac 3070 amp in A4

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
Hi Folks,

Finished my A4 build with a 2060 Super and happened to get my hands on a Zotac 3070 AMP Holo which is a large card, unlike the Twin cards which whilst looking similar are really much smaller..

Question from a n00b - given that this card is tall and wide, the top metal frame which ive removed is blocked by the vertical lip - which i could remove by grinder but that would likely compremise the clip holder.

Does anyone have an idea about how a replacement for the top section could be fashioned, perhaps so that could stepped outward - note that i've looked into spacers but the issue isnt the side panel.

Thanks in advance,

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
any takers? short of selling my A4 i can't see a way to solve my problem... which i've created out of my own inability to measure something properly...

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Can you make a picture so I can understand the problem better?

The card should fit inside the C4-SFX if you use sandwich mode.

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
If you were to print/fabricate a placement top panel, and pull it outward, so that the overhanging lip would fall over a spacer (the spacer would need to have groves along the top to accomodate the cross-frame. As this would also then persist the original frame clips the spacer would be simpler to print as well i think...

thoughts?

ParallaxStax

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Nov 24, 2019
I wonder if you could deshroud the GPU and that would make it small enough to fit. Looking at this image it seems like the heatsink does not extend al the way to the edge.

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
@dondan - am i just out of luck? i'm gonna RMA the Zotac and try to get an XC3 ultra which will at least fit more less, but might need to flip the PSU.. right?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@k1llah3rtz Yes it think this would be the best way. I thought about it and the only the way that the Zotac will fit is to unscrew the riser, remove the default slot bracket of the Zotac and add a custom 3D printes one so the card will sit lower.

Here are some RTX 3070 cards that will fit:

Zotac RTX 3070 Twin Edge
INNO3D GeForce RTX 3070 Twin X2 OC
ASUS Turbo GeForce RTX 3070
NVIDIA RTX 3070 Founders Edition
GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 3070 Eagle
MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Fan OC
EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 XC3 Black Gaming (You need the one without backplate)

I would use the Founders or Gigabyte cards.

SiKiaTriK

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 28, 2019
Each card's shroud and fin radiator is a bit different but you should definetelly take a chance and try to deshroud it. Some cards are trickier than others. While one has just 4 screws and the plastic frame / fans come out clean, others have inaccessible screws that make you take the entire block appart, then take the shroud off. Besides the card being 2.5 slot it seems more bulkier than necessary.

Couple webs I found with deshrouding Deshroud 1 Review with desrhoud included

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
thanks @dondan and @SiKiaTriK - i'll wait to see what they send me but i think it will be an xc3 ultra, so might need a spacer for the gpu side but at least the top panel will fit etc which is not the case with the zotac amp. btw, if the EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 Ultra Gaming fits, surely the 3070 XC3 Ultra would as well..

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
@dondan if i print a frame spacer, will the Ultra Gaming (with backplate fit) i.e. is the fitting issue solely due to the sidepanel fit?

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
The EVGA is the worse route you can do. The fans will be ultra close to the side panel and will result in loud noises.

A frame spacer will silve that.

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
thanks @dondan at least it will fit inside the case unlike the zotac amp :). i'm happy to space the side panel as thats a fairly simple mod in comparison to my previous options. Will the H20 be any wider by chance or are you planing on having the new C4 or B4 be the big-card option? Are you at all thinking of doing a slide-in style case similar to the Jonsbo V8 etc?

joconnell

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2019
@dondan if I wanted to go with a 3090 or 3080, I'm looking at moving up to a bigger case like the h20 or c4 - if I can get my hands on a card before those come out though what are your top recommendations there (with the understanding that it's not optimal)? Seems like the evga xc3 will fit with no issues, what are your top recommendations in the 3080 / 3090 class that'll fit in the a4 for now?

k1llah3rtz

Caliper Novice
Original poster
May 20, 2021
@dondan if I wanted to go with a 3090 or 3080, I'm looking at moving up to a bigger case like the h20 or c4 - if I can get my hands on a card before those come out though what are your top recommendations there (with the understanding that it's not optimal)? Seems like the evga xc3 will fit with no issues, what are your top recommendations in the 3080 / 3090 class that'll fit in the a4 for now?
from all the reading i did on this, founders editions will fit the easiest but have airflow challenges. I can confirm that the XC3 will 1) fit length wise but critically 2) there is a good deal of clearance at the top. there is about 15mm of good clearance for a 2/2.2 slot card. i have my XC3's backplate flush with the mboard tray and it gets hot but i have my fans on a 40% cycle all the time so the card runs cool. HTH

obviously - this is for A4-SFX, the H20 increases clearance at the top IIRC and the C4 is just bigger.

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I think i would not put a 3090 in the A4 because this could be heat overkill. For the 3080 I would recommend:

1. INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Ti X3 ( maybe the best card but hard to get)
  2. Nvidia 3080 FE (https://dan-cases.com/downloads/a4sfx_rtx30x0guide1.0.pdf)
  3. ASUS Turbo GeForce RTXTM 3080 (best internal temps)
  4. EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 (For best fit get a card without a backplate)

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I think i would not put a 3090 in the A4 because this could be heat overkill. For the 3080 I would recommend:

1. INNO3D GeForce RTX 3080 Ti X3 ( maybe the best card but hard to get)
  2. Nvidia 3080 FE (https://dan-cases.com/downloads/a4sfx_rtx30x0guide1.0.pdf)
  3. ASUS Turbo GeForce RTXTM 3080 (best internal temps)
  4. EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 XC3 (For best fit get a card without a backplate)
Nice find on that Inno3d Dan, card would be perfect for so many cases but finding one will probably be impossible.