Help Choosing a 2060 RTX for Dan Case

Stryprod

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Mar 17, 2019
I've been unable to locate an official compatible RTX 2060 list for the Dan Case, and was hoping the community could help.

Based on my research, a blower fan is not necessary, but an open fan model that has fins pointing towards the top and bottom (vertical) is ideal.

From what I can tell, it seems like that keeps MSI and Zotac off the list, which is a bummer as I was hoping for a shorter or smaller card.

Does anyone have a recommended 2060 card?

I'm leaning towards the EVGA XC Ultra 2060, although would prefer something shorter.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

nymphrine

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 9, 2019
Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
Yes. A axial fan exhaust more hot air into the case. There are also situation where a blower can be more silent, because the radial fan creates less turbulence through the vent holes.

glow

Trash Compacter
Feb 5, 2019
I have a RTX2060 FE and an A4 SFX. The computer is on top of my desk.

No idle stop. Little to no chance it can be modded in, since all of the AIB RTX2060s I have found are custom PCBs, so there is not likely to be a compatible vBIOS that can be flashed over (with the idle stop feature).

It's noisier in all situations vs the GTX 780Ti blower it replaced (at idle and at load). If I remove the side panel, the noise drops considerably, though it's still noticeable.

The fan design seems to create a lot more turbulence than necessary, especially given the small airflow. If I lift the side panel a cm from the side, the noise is still present, at nearly the same volume. An ~1cm gap is what a stock Noctua NH L9i (or L9a) has in this case, and its fan is much quieter at full tilt.

I've never bought two GPUs in successive generations (I've always skipped a generation, or a few, in the case of the GTX780Ti), but I am strongly considering it this time around. I bought the FE because it had the VirtualLink port and it was at MSRP during launch.

I'm also considering going back to a blower. It should be noted many blower designs still dump a lot of heat back into the case (my reference GTX780Ti had a number of vents near the SLI connectors, and I see this to be the case for almost all other blower designs, too). Of course, the RTX 2060 FE dumps all of its heat back into the case, and after a few minutes, the fan closest to the power connector is just sucking hot air. I eventually installed a fan where the HDD cage used to be, which helped a tiny bit.

Last edited:

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
@glow: Same problem here with the RTX 2080 FE. Fans also in idle @1500rpm. In the past Nvidia said this is a driver problem and they will fix it - 6 month later they did nothing. Without driver installed or loaded (while boot) the card is dead silent - so i don't see a reason why the card has to run with 1500rpm in idle. I forward it to the german press and they are in contact with Nvidia to publish these information or force Nvidia to fix it. Hopefully other international media will follow talking about it so we will get a fix.