News Z590 ITX Boards Pre-orders Available

In case anyone is planning an Intel build, New Egg has posted up the Gigabyte Z590 ITX Aorus Ultra board up for pre-order for the low price of TWO HUNDRED AND EIGHTY-NINE DOLLARS! Good lord....I actually double checked to make sure I wasn't looking at the Canadian pricing.

I don't particularly like New Egg, but there you go if you want it.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Ouchie. Intel learning from the AMD pricing on motherboards. BTW....lots of Z490 boards and procs for sale for their actual MSRP prices. As opposed to Team Red where nothing is in stock nor will be any time soon.

Revenant

Christopher Moine - Senior Editor SFF.N
Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Ouchie. Intel learning from the AMD pricing on motherboards. BTW....lots of Z490 boards and procs for sale for their actual MSRP prices. As opposed to Team Red where nothing is in stock nor will be any time soon.

I was going to comment on the length of AMD backward compatibility, but I realized that it's only 3 generations of CPUs compared to Intel's 2. Though it certainly feels like it lasts longer.

Reactions: rfarmer

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
I was going to comment on the length of AMD backward compatibility, but I realized that it's only 3 generations of CPUs compared to Intel's 2. Though it certainly feels like it lasts longer.

I thought b450 motherboards supported Ryzen 1000s, 2000s, 3000s, and 5000s?

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
I thought b450 motherboards supported Ryzen 1000s, 2000s, 3000s, and 5000s?
Some support 5000s. They weren’t going to originally. Also once you update, you can’t go back.

However early Ryzen 1000 era boards don’t support 5000.

Zen 4 is moving to a different socket.

jaeparku

Cable-Tie Ninja
Oct 19, 2018
Some support 5000s. They weren’t going to originally. Also once you update, you can’t go back.

However early Ryzen 1000 era boards don’t support 5000.

Zen 4 is moving to a different socket.

Yeah I would like to switch to AMD for the sole reason that their mobo tend to support more generations than Intel. I wonder why Intel limits it so much. Otherwise, people would buy their CPUs more often.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
... I wonder why Intel limits it so much. Otherwise, people would buy their CPUs more often....
Having mobo chipset supporting more CPU generations is just one of many factors that people would consider when buying a CPU. Of course, it is good to have this longer support. But, I bet, this factor is often not at the top of the list.
I wonder how many people would actually buy a motherboard and then would use CPUs of several generations on the same mobo. For these people, maybe, 2 generations at the most? It is hard to imagine to use 3 generations of CPU with the same mobo.

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Having mobo chipset supporting more CPU generations is just one of many factors that people would consider when buying a CPU. Of course, it is good to have this longer support. But, I bet, this factor is often not at the top of the list.
I wonder how many people would actually buy a motherboard and then would use CPUs of several generations on the same mobo. For these people, maybe, 2 generations at the most? It is hard to imagine to use 3 generations of CPU with the same mobo.
Very true....3 chipset generations is about another DDR generation

Retrias

Cable-Tie Ninja
Sep 28, 2018
Yeah I would like to switch to AMD for the sole reason that their mobo tend to support more generations than Intel. I wonder why Intel limits it so much. Otherwise, people would buy their CPUs more often.
Has to do with manufacture relations as well, intel have to coax manufacturer to make more of their boards, and limiting cpu to the latest motherboard is one of the many way to do so, this way motherboard manufactuer would buy the new intel chipset, make a new motherboard and would have a new motherboard in the market

Skripka

Cat-Dog Perch Manager
May 18, 2020
Has to do with manufacture relations as well, intel have to coax manufacturer to make more of their boards, and limiting cpu to the latest motherboard is one of the many way to do so, this way motherboard manufactuer would buy the new intel chipset, make a new motherboard and would have a new motherboard in the market

Of course....If Intel had their act together, they could corner the market right now.

There's no AMD product to buy for love or money less than double MSRP just about anywhere.....meanwhile I can hop on Amazon right now and buy a 10900K for less than MSRP right now without needing to win the lottery. TBH, having a Ryzen 3600 and not being able to buy any Zen3 product until autumn 2021 probably....I only hesitate because I'd need a new motherboard.

Revenant

Original poster
Revenant Tech
SFFn Staff
Apr 21, 2017
Of course....If Intel had their act together, they could corner the market right now.

There's no AMD product to buy for love or money less than double MSRP just about anywhere.....meanwhile I can hop on Amazon right now and buy a 10900K for less than MSRP right now without needing to win the lottery. TBH, having a Ryzen 3600 and not being able to buy any Zen3 product until autumn 2021 probably....I only hesitate because I'd need a new motherboard.

If you’re willing to watch the Now In Stock chat system you can get a Ryzen. I got a 5600X a couple hours after I signed up.

Ryzen 5000 is the new hotness, but it’s not exactly leaps and bounds faster than Intel. A 10900K or 10700K is still a blazing fast CPU for gaming, and above 1440P the differences between it and Ryzen are even less. Plus you get quick sync acceleration in Adobe Premier if you use that.

I will say though that I’m happy I can upgrade from my R5-2600 to R5-5600X on my B-450 rig.