Motherboard Intel Z490 ITX Motherboards listed for Pre-Order (Available 20 May)

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
If you're eager to be the first to get your hands on one of the new Intel Z490 ITX motherboards, they're now available for pre-order on Newegg.

Intel Z490 Mini-ITX Motherboards

Here are the pre-orders at Scan Computers in Pounds:

Intel Z490 Mini-ITX Motherboards - Scan Computers (UK)

At the moment there are 4 listed: The ASUS ROG Strix, Gigabyte AORUS Ultra, and ASRock Phantom Gaming ranging from $269 to $299. An ASRock Z490M-ITX/ac is listed at a much lower $159.

MSI should have a MEG Z490I UNIFY available at launch for $269, but I don't see it listed.

20 May is the release date for the motherboards, and the embargo lift for reviews.

EDIT: Added a link for pre-orders at Scan Computers (UK)

Last edited:
Reactions: jmangonon5

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
I'll repost my comments here from the other thread around the Asus board in particular:

Gigabyte Z490i Aorus Ultra: $270
AsRock Z490 PG ITX/TB3: $280
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-I Gaming: $300

This is a massive price increase from Z390. At launch, each of these boards' predecessors was ~$90-100 cheaper. That's a 50% price increase in some cases, similar to the price premium on X570 over X470. This tells me that two very similar things happened:
* Massively Overbuilt VRMs. For example, the AsRock Z390 board which was considered the best VRM was a 5-phase with 60A power stages. The new one is a 6-phase with 90A power stages.
* PCIe Gen4 compatibility. This is half speculation, half confirmed but a lot of these boards say they will do PCIe Gen4 with Rocket Lake CPUs in the future. This means Intel's next platform will be PCIe 4.0 on this same socket, explaining the need for LGA1200 and new motherboards. We know PCIe 4.0 traces and wiring is not cheap, often requiring more PCB layers, but I suspect this is adding a lot to cost.

The truth then is that the VRMs are way overbuilt for this generation of chips, except maybe the i9-10900K, and the motherboards are built to support a PCIe standard the chips don't support either. So you can spend $100 less on a motherboard and get a 9th gen chip, and it will be roughly equivalent in performance unless you really really need 10 (Intel) cores. Assuming the 9th gen chip prices go down (not a guarantee) I don't see how going Comet Lake makes any sense. Better to wait for Rocket Lake, because once those chips launch I doubt anyone will want your 6-month-old Comet Lake part.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Assuming the 9th gen chip prices go down (not a guarantee) I don't see how going Comet Lake makes any sense. Better to wait for Rocket Lake, because once those chips launch I doubt anyone will want your 6-month-old Comet Lake part.
Do you know, what advantages/improvements will the Rocket Lake has over the Comet Lake? Other than the PCIe 4.0 support.

I think, if one can wait, then one should wait for Rocket Lake. My plan is to build the system in Sept/Oct. Hopefully there will be more news about the Rocket Lake. Then, I will decide if I can wait until December.

9th gen prices aint going down here locally. And, I wonder, as there is a big price hike from the Z390 to Z490 mobos, Z590 Rocket Lake stuff (or whatever name it will be called) will probably be even more expensive.

It is interesting that with stiff competition from AMD, Intel is not dropping prices but instead raises. Perhaps it is not Intel's wish but the price increase is due to various board manufacturers?

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
Do you know, what advantages/improvements will the Rocket Lake has over the Comet Lake? Other than the PCIe 4.0 support.
The best overview I've seen is here, but again much can change and nothing is 100% confirmed. PCIe 4.0, four extra PCIe Lanes (which is why some of the M.2 ports are labeled "CPU" on the Z490 boards, even though they don't go to the CPU with Comet Lake), Integrated Xe Graphics, double the DMI connection to chipset, and a few other niceties seem to be what's on offer. But Rocket Lake looks like it will still only be a 14nm part! So the only real question is... will it be a back-ported Willow Cove architecture, or will it just be another Skylake part? Some of the leaks say "New Processor Core Architecture" but that could just be marketing.

Even with a new micro architecture like Willow Cove, it will still be at a major deficit to AMD's parts in terms of power efficiency, which is why I'm assuming these boards have such enormous VRMs. An 8-core Willow Cove part on 14nm might be an enormous power hog, because cache sizes and other things will go up with the new core. Reports say that Rocket Lake will only go up to 8 cores even though they will come later on the same socket as the 10-core Comet Lake parts. That will be an interesting challenge for Intel's marketing to sell to customers...

And, I wonder, as there is a big price hike from the Z390 to Z490 mobos, Z590 Rocket Lake stuff (or whatever name it will be called) will probably be even more expensive.

Who knows what Z590 or Z495 or whatever small board refresh they call it would bring. Maybe USB4? Regardless it doesn't seem like there's much more to do with the LGA1200 socket until Rocket Lake comes out. Maybe things will be cheaper by then because of competitive pressure.

It is interesting that with stiff competition from AMD, Intel is not dropping prices but instead raises. Perhaps it is not Intel's wish but the price increase is due to various board manufacturers?

I don't see Intel raising pricing, in fact it seems to be the opposite. For the price of a 9700K you can get a 9900K equivalent (10700K). The top tier of chip has stayed the same price (9900K vs 10900K) but you get more cores and often the bonus of HyperThreading almost through the entire stack. The only place where this seems not to be true is in the i3 space, where i3s are more expensive than 8th and 9th gen parts, however you now have 7700K equivalent performance in an i3. That's pretty nuts.

However, that doesn't mean the 9th Gen chip will drop a lot in price. Part of the reason Intel changes sockets so often is so that they don't have competition from older chips like AMD has with AM4. When Zen 2 chips came out, Zen+ chips cratered in price. Intel chips don't seem to do that, because if you're on a Z390 motherboard, guess what? It's 9th (or 8th) gen or bust. No soup for you.

If we do see major discounts on 9th gen parts, it will clearly be the better deal. Motherboards will be $100 less, and you really aren't losing anything versus Comet Lake. It's only when Rocket Lake comes out that it might make sense, and by that time maybe you will want a Z590 board and buying Z490 to have an upgrade path later was foolish.

This, to me, seems like a stalling tactic by Intel. They need new stuff for them and their partners to push. They will drop prices on the new line of chips, and be marginally more competitive with AMD. But late this year if Rocket Lake comes out with only up to 8 cores, and AMD is pushing 12- and 16-core Zen 3 parts... it could be a bloodbath.

Reactions: AlexTSG and tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
When I said ''Intel price increase'', I was thinking more from a motherboard point of view. Eg an Asus Z390-I Gaming vs Z490-I Gaming. The price difference is about 40% from comparing 'leaked' prices here locally.

A new system needs to be built by Oct. If Rocket Lake will come out in Dec, then I can still accommodate a 2-month pushback. But, if not, I will very much likely to go with this generation of Z490+Comet Lake. Frankly, after all these years, I do not play this gaming of 'waiting' that much anymore because I also do not play the game of ''I always want the greatest and latest at any moment''.

Thanks for the links. Will read them later.

Last edited:
Reactions: Madhawk1995

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Unfortunately, Intel's lack of progress on their process node, combined with supply problems is going to hurt them for foreseeable future. Although I think supply problems will affect i3 and i5 availability mostly. If they have limited capacity it makes sense to use it for the highest profit parts.

The i7-10700K is the processor that looks like the best option to me, especially in the context of SFF builds.

However, although that CPU should offer similar performance to the i9-9900K at a lower price, these new Z490 boards bring the price back to parity with a 9900K/Z390 combo. You're still ahead by having an upgrade path in the future with a Z490 board.

This, to me, seems like a stalling tactic by Intel. They need new stuff for them and their partners to push. They will drop prices on the new line of chips, and be marginally more competitive with AMD. But late this year if Rocket Lake comes out with only up to 8 cores, and AMD is pushing 12- and 16-core Zen 3 parts... it could be a bloodbath.

I have an NCASE M1 v6 sitting unopened, waiting for me to buy the internals. I still need to make a choice between AMD and Intel and a big part of that is which offers a better upgrade path. Rocket Lake vs Zen 3, as there's probably a new socket/chipset required either way beyond that. I'm interested to see the reviews and pricing of my options over the coming months.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Those pricing are hard to justify, even with Wifi6 and 2.5Gbpe ethernet.

That 10th gen is also rumoured to be replaced by comet lake at the end of the year.

Yet another Skylake re-re-re-refresh to me. Intel doesn't know how to counter AMD, all their CPU get HT (even Pentium, but not Celeron).

K-series CPU have a 125 Intel-Watts TDP and I saw ITX with 8+4 EPS power (8+8 on mATX and above). I quite fear the heat and power draw of this gen.

Long story short: not worth it.

ermac318

King of Cable Management
Mar 10, 2019
A new system needs to be built by Oct. If Rocket Lake will come out in Dec, then I can still accommodate a 2-month pushback. But, if not, I will very much likely to go with this generation of Z490+Comet Lake. Frankly, after all these years, I do not play this gaming of 'waiting' that much anymore because I also do not play the game of ''I always want the greatest and latest at any moment''.
Any reason why you aren't considering AMD? I'm very excited to see pricing on the new B550 boards to see if they put a dent in the X570 board prices. Really I went Intel late last year specifically because board prices for Z390 were so much cheaper than X570 and I needed Thunderbolt.

However, although that CPU should offer similar performance to the i9-9900K at a lower price, these new Z490 boards bring the price back to parity with a 9900K/Z390 combo. You're still ahead by having an upgrade path in the future with a Z490 board.
This is true unless the 9th gen parts drop in price. Which, as I mentioned, is not a guarantee. If prices do drop then the latest gen seems like a bad deal.

I have an NCASE M1 v6 sitting unopened, waiting for me to buy the internals. I still need to make a choice between AMD and Intel and a big part of that is which offers a better upgrade path. Rocket Lake vs Zen 3, as there's probably a new socket/chipset required either way beyond that. I'm interested to see the reviews and pricing of my options over the coming months.
While you're right that both sockets will likely be replaced next year, AM4 has the advantage of older compatible CPUs dropping heavily in price. When Zen 3 comes out, you might be able to pick up Ryzen 9 39x0 parts for a deep discount, just like we saw with the 2700X and 2600 when the Ryzen 3000 series launched. And if B550 boards are any good at all, and are cheaper than Z490, I think it makes it a no-brainer.