Log Yet Another NCase M1 (Zero compromise edition)

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Like a few others here it seems, I was quite taken with Optimum Tech's latest custom loop NCase M1 build, and inspired to build my own. I cut my teeth messing with PCs longer ago than is reasonable to admit. I remember getting a 4MB (yes, M - not a typo), doubling our family computer to a lofty 8MB of Ram, and sweating like a [insert inappropriate analogy] whilst installing it. Some years later I ditched Windows and went to Mac, where I've been quite happy working for a very long time and will remain so, but you lot are having way too much fun over here and I want to have a go, so I started ordering stuff. First thing I did was order the M1. As of today it looks like it is booked on a flight out of Taiwan tomorrow. Other stuff has arrived from local suppliers much faster, so I've started assembling what I can. I haven't really cut any corners with any of these components, so at this point I'm pretty much all in. I've left the details til last. I intend to cut my own ATX cables, but wire/sleeving choices seem to be a pain in the rear. I also still need to figure out hose fixings.

Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mobo
Corsair Vengeance RAM. 64GB 2x32, 3600
Seagate Firecuda 520 2TB M.2 PCIe 4 NVMe SSD
AMD 3950x CPU
NVidia 2080 ti Founders Edition

Cooling

EK SE240 Slim Radiator, 2 Noctua fans.
EK PE240 Radiator, 2 more Noctua fans.
EK Vector GPU Waterblock& Nickel backplate
EK Quantum Magnitude all-nickel CPU block

Tonight I finished putting what I can together. I pulled the GPU out of its factory housing and installed the EK waterblock, the the M.2 SSD, Ram, CPU and CPU block on the motherboard. Can't really figure much else out now until the case arrives and I can try and work out all the fixings I will need. Intending to use black flexible hose, and despite ending up with a plexi RGB GPU block, I'm not interested in any internal illumination in this computer. Subtle is the word.

FuzionReaktor

Cable Smoosher
Jun 19, 2020
That looks good, I did a custom loop once and decided never again because effort vs pay-off was just not worth it when I thought about being able to upgrade in the future. Also cost.

I'm on the same boat as you now though, waiting for my M1 that shipped today and ready to do a heavy build with plenty of tinkering.

Good luck with your build and definitely post pics as you go! I'd love to compare. My specs, btw, are:

MSI MEG Z490I UNIFY
Intel i7 10700k (gonna delid and use LM)
2 x 1TB NVMe 970 Evo
1 x 2TB Samsung SSD
64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX
Noctua C14S with included fan plus an extra A12x25
NVIDIA 2080ti XC Ultra (will compare thermals and possibly change out shroud/sink to Accelero III)
2 x A12x15 for under GPU

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
I didn’t even know black coolant was a thing. If it is then that could motivate me to CFRS clear hose.

Remy17

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2020
I am in a reverse situation I have Ncase and motherboard but no CPU. I have a PSU coming week but I still do not know what to do about CPU cooling. I have an AIO in my current set-up, but I will never be comfortable with a custom loop and definitely not in a small case. Can't wait to see how you set your rig up.

Remy17

Chassis Packer
Jun 19, 2020
I do not trust water cooling, just makes me uneasy. I had friend that was into it back in the fish tank pump days and I could not get past the whole water and electricity thing. AIO's were a big enough step for me and even those seem a bit more risky then when I first started using them due to quality control issues.

I got the Strix 570-I because it became available and I did not want to risk waiting for the 550 that cost twenty dollars less.

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
I do not trust water cooling, just makes me uneasy. I had friend that was into it back in the fish tank pump days and I could not get past the whole water and electricity thing. AIO's were a big enough step for me and even those seem a bit more risky then when I first started using them due to quality control issues.

I got the Strix 570-I because it became available and I did not want to risk waiting for the 550 that cost twenty dollars less.

Good shout on the 570-I, although of course I'm totally biased there! I hear you on water/electricity combo. It sounds ridiculous, but I trust the engineering. Whether I trust myself remains to be seen. The first time I fill the loop and turn it on I'll be staring at it non-stop for hours I expect

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
So I hadn’t planned to share this little nugget, because I was embarrassed. I feel I’ve now made peace with my brazen stupidity and figure this slice of beautiful ignorance could save someone else from a costly mistake.

EK CoolStream SE240 radiators ship with M3x30mm screws, good for mounting 25mm fans.

I am building a dual radiator rig, the main radiator and fan combo being an EK PE240 along with Noctua NF A12x25s. All good. Supplied screws are just the ticket.

So the smaller SE240, on to which I’m mounting Noctua NF A12x15s.... do you see where this is heading?

I blissfully drove the same supplied 30mm screws through the radiator turning it into £60 worth of FML.

I promptly ordered a new one, along with a box of M3x20mm hardware.

at least I learnt my lesson about due care on a £60 radiator and not a £1000 GPU. Lesson learnt.

Edited: uploaded higher resolution images and corrected some typos worse than the act itself.

Last edited:
  • Haha
  • Love
Reactions: August and Arboreal

wallsofjericho

Chassis Packer
May 6, 2020
So I hadn’t planned to share this little nugget, because I was embarrassed. I feel I’ve now made piece with my brazen stupidity and figure this slice of beautiful ignorance could save someone else from a costly mistake.

EK CoolStream SE240 radiators ship with M3x30mm screws, good for mounting 25mm fans.

I am building a duel radiator rig, the main radiator and fan combo being an EK PE240 alon with Noctua NF A12x25s. All good. Supplied screws are just the ticket.

So the smaller SE240, on to which I’m mounting Noctua NF A12x15s.... do you see where this is heading?

I blissfully drove the same supplied 30mm screws through the radiator turning it into £60 worth of FML.

I promptly ordered a new one, along with a box of M3x20mm hardware.

at least I learnt my lesson about due care on a £60 radiator and not a £1000 GPU. Lesson learnt.

I needed UNC 6–32 3/4 screws for the slim fans which are hard to find in Germany. Sorry to hear you screwed the rad up.

Reactions: Kitsune

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Holy Moly. I didn't expect this today. I got my IMC external res in the post. Ordered on 19/06, delivered from China on 30/06. Colour me impressed. Now all I need is a good, quiet, PWM pump (answers on a postcard please) and tubing/fixings and we have a computer.

Last edited:

Blubbie21

Trash Compacter
Feb 3, 2020
@Kitsune hi,
did you already get your bottom radiator inside the case? I read about problems with the front IO connectors. And what about height? Is were still enough clearance between bottom radiator (radiator 28mm height + 15mm fans) and the GPU block?

i also want to use the iceman reservoir (still waiting for case and iceman) and want to use my current Pumpt from my big watercooling build:
Alphacool Laing DDC310.

Last edited:

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
@Kitsune hi,
did you already get your bottom radiator inside the case? I ready about problems with the front IO connectors. And what about height? Is were still enough clearance between bottom radiator (radiator 28mm height + 15mm fans) and the GPU block?

i also want to use the iceman reservoir (still waiting for case and iceman) and want to use my current Pumpt from my big watercooling build:
Alphacool Laing DDC310.

Hey @Blubbie21! I don't have my case yet. I know it's at my local delivery depot but I have to wait for customs notice to come through first and pay that before they will deliver. So frigging annoying. When it arrives my first order of business will be a test fit of the motherboard, PSU and bottom/side rad/fan combos. I sure hope there aren't problems with the front i/o, but if there is, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it. I would only ever plug a stick into front i/o, and I hardly ever use one of those these days. I can live without them.

The EK rad is 26mm, and I'm using an EK 2080ti waterblock. I'll have about9mm of clearance for airflow between the fans and the GPU waterblock.

Reactions: Blubbie21

Blubbie21

Trash Compacter
Feb 3, 2020
@Kitsune , i've got my Iceman cooling Pump/reservoir Combo totday. It was a fast delivery. I've ordered it some days after NCase ordering on 20.06.2020. Now i am still waiting for the tracking-number of my ncase. ... ?

Reactions: Kitsune

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
@Kitsune , i've got my Iceman cooling Pump/reservoir Combo totday. It was a fast delivery. I've ordered it some days after NCase ordering on 20.06.2020. Now i am still waiting for the tracking-number of my ncase. ... ?

That's amazing news. Glad to hear it! I'm currently fighting with ParcelForce to get my hands on my NCase. They said they attempted delivery today but they did not. Bunch of absolute C&*#s.

In more delivery strife, Pexon PCs delivered my order of molex terminals, cable and sleeving, but forgot to pack the cable and sleeving.

I did get 3 meters of EK ZMT tubing so that's something. I had really hoped things would come together this week but I'll be lucky if I even have anything to progress at all this weekend.

Reactions: Blubbie21

Kitsune

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 22, 2020
Alright now I'm having fun. Motherboard and PSU are locked and loaded. I'm guessing they'll both probably have to come back out at some point for some reason (no idea) but it's great to see them in place.

@Blubbie21 I solved the i/o problem. Yes, the internal i/o cables are a very tight squeeze with the rad in the bottom, but if you're motivated you could probably make it work. They would each have a significant high pressure bend in them. Unsure if it would cause damage. I don't care enough for front USBs and a headphone jack to have the 4 massive supplied i/o cables spoiling the inside of mynew build, so they're out.The case comes with, amongst many other spare parts, a front plate for power button only so I've put that on - problem totally solved and I'm super happy with that.

Going to stick the GPU now and see what all this clearance business is about and get the matter settled for 26mm rads.

This case is the business. You can really tell how much effort has been put into the small details for build enthusiasts to make each step that little bit easier. Love it. Motherboard, PSU installed, bottom rad is just sat In there right now.

No i/o front plate is supplied and installed without hesitation. What i/o problem?