Year end festivities, What are you buying?

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
As posted on our Facebook page, what are you planning on buying for family, friends or yourself for the festive season?

Me up first - my children will be getting a bicycle each, and some smaller, much cheaper toys. For family it will be snacks, because we all love snacks!

For myself - well that would be telling!

Reactions: LocoMoto

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have no clue what to get my family and my own running wishlist (can also be a festivities list) is filled with things ranging from a Nintendo Classic Mini up to a DJI Mavic Pro. But we limited gifts to around € 30 a person because it was getting out of hand, we would basically buy the gifts we wanted but couldn't or didn't want to pay instead of getting something thoughtful, what it should be all about.

But yeah, I've been coming up empty.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
meh, the festivus season comes right on the heals of my birthday so I have a little cash to throw down on something for myself. Currently considering between a Pocket CHIP a 10" display pannel or maybe an Outernet kit, or maybe none of the above, nfi but thats whats on my watch list for the time being.

LocoMoto

DEVOURER OF BAKED POTATOES
Jul 19, 2015
Considering getting an SSD for my brother and some printed shots of the family (My brother, me, the dog and my grandparents) for.. well.. my grandparents! :p
Still wondering what to get for the dog, she ain't picky but man is she special and deserving of something special! :eek:

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
I already bought a lot of stuff on11/11 sale. My girlfriend just bought a house and we need to do the flooring and walls so probably nothing more for me in the next year. I am planning on getting a car (Honda fit or Geely GS) so if I can fit that into my budget I will be out of money after that.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Its been a pretty shitty year, so I decided to do myself a favor. In my quest of the perfect SFF workstation, I'll get an Akai PRO MPK mini MKII. This is a 25 keys MIDI keyboard, with velocity sensitive keys and pads.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
This past year, while gentler than last year, still hit me hard. I got myself a Japanese phrasebook. My siblings and close friends will get either items or money, my parents will get lottery ticket bundles, and my grandparents will get cards. 2017 will be a better year.

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
This year hit me hard as well, trying to start a new business has really taken its toll.
I made roughly 1/2 as much this year as I did last year but should this new business succeed, I will be in a much better place next year.

Even so, my wife and I managed to set aside enough funds to buy some hardware before the end of year.
1x 1TB Samsung T3 SFF SSD (USB 3.1) -in hand
1x SilverStone SFX800 -awaiting availability
1x Sony a6500 w/ 50mm lens -awaiting arrival

All my closest friends will get a Steam game from their wishlist.
All my closest family will get a phonecall, haha.

Reactions: Soul_Est

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
No gifts for myself this year, other than the prospect of getting the business running well in under a year and handing ourselves a small bonus for it.
I gave my business partner 5-port USB charger that he really needed, he's got 4 kids and they have sooooooo many chargeable devices. He was really happy with it.

Next year I'm hoping to go a little more all out on Christmas, with a proper tree and decorations. I have nothing this year :S

Reactions: jeshikat and Phuncz

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
No gifts for myself this year, other than the prospect of getting the business running well in under a year and handing ourselves a small bonus for it.
I gave my business partner 5-port USB charger that he really needed, he's got 4 kids and they have sooooooo many chargeable devices. He was really happy with it.

Next year I'm hoping to go a little more all out on Christmas, with a proper tree and decorations. I have nothing this year :S

Here's to 2017 surpassing your expectations in the best ways, @QinX !

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/YWJ7M8
Hopefully going to buy today, and should allow me to finally start my 2.4 litre PC project c: (Those optional things are for if I want to put an R9 Nano or RX 490 Nano or whatever in it). T̶h̶e̶ ̶1̶2̶0̶W̶ ̶p̶o̶w̶e̶r̶ ̶b̶r̶i̶c̶k̶ ̶s̶h̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶e̶ ̶e̶n̶o̶u̶g̶h̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶6̶6̶0̶0̶k̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶7̶5̶0̶T̶i̶,̶ ̶n̶o̶?̶ ̶I̶ ̶m̶e̶a̶n̶,̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶m̶i̶g̶h̶t̶ ̶p̶u̶s̶h̶ ̶i̶t̶ ̶h̶a̶r̶d̶,̶ ̶b̶u̶t̶ ̶I̶'̶l̶l̶ ̶u̶n̶d̶e̶r̶v̶o̶l̶t̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶7̶5̶0̶T̶i̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶h̶o̶p̶e̶ ̶f̶o̶r̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶b̶e̶s̶t̶ ̶c̶: Well nevermind, wattmeter saying around 130W under load but that's with a 4790 at 4GHz... I hope it's enough XD

Last edited:

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
In my experience pushing a DC brick that tightly isn't a good idea. I blew a 150W razer brick running 4790T and 1050ti. Never saw my Kill a watt go over 125W at any point. Thing is, most AC -DC bricks count on a laptop battery to smooth out spikes which we don't have in these builds. Good luck though!

Therandomness

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 9, 2016
In my experience pushing a DC brick that tightly isn't a good idea. I blew a 150W razer brick running 4790T and 1050ti. Never saw my Kill a watt go over 125W at any point. Thing is, most AC -DC bricks count on a laptop battery to smooth out spikes which we don't have in these builds. Good luck though!
Well, I actually managed to find a 19V, 9.5A (so 180W) brick, so I should be fine with that :D

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
It's "Year beginning" now but, just got bonus check so I bought a new phone. I previously had a Xiaomi Mi5 but always got annoyed with the software on it, and finally got angry at work one day and bent it into a clamshell phone. I just ordered a Umi Super phone, so hopefully I don't get a lemon with network/wifi issues! I was thinking to wait for the new Nokia's but I guess they wont go on the market here anytime soon. Next I will be ordering some PC parts for personal use and for testing.....

Reactions: EdZ and Soul_Est

IntoxicatedPuma

Customizer of Titles
SFFn Staff
Feb 26, 2016
the mi5 is not a well built phone :( i dropped it once, barely, and the frame bent quite a bit on the corner. Bending it was shockingly easy (and shockingly created sparks everywhere) and also shocked my coworkers who i was angry at. Now they think I am the big angry foreigner.