Log XTIA Xproto-L w/ Ryzen 7800X3D, MSI 4090 Suprim Liquid X

TheCrimsonMarket

Build - Show - Give
Platinum Supporter
New User
May 11, 2024
thecrimsonmarket.com
Have you ever tried to turn an AIO into hard pipe, I feel like the custom loop industry is overpriced. When you can buy a aio for a quarter the price of equivalent hard pipe kit. I have been concidering it, especially since the 4090 with existing water block is really limited and I don't like the idea of buying a huge heatsink then tossing it in the bin.

OldManGrimm

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 18, 2018
www.instagram.com
Have you ever tried to turn an AIO into hard pipe, I feel like the custom loop industry is overpriced. When you can buy a aio for a quarter the price of equivalent hard pipe kit. I have been concidering it, especially since the 4090 with existing water block is really limited and I don't like the idea of buying a huge heatsink then tossing it in the bin.
The difficulty is in the fittings. Pretty much all watercooling gear uses standard G1/4 size fittings, which you'd need to connect the tubing. AIOs don't have removable fittings, as they're not intended to ever be opened. Depending on which AIO you used, you may be able to cobble together some sort of adapter that would end in a G1/4 size. You'd have the same challenge on both the pump side and again with the radiator. Given that part of the reason to do hard tubes is for aesthetics, this may end up looking a little janky.

Something like the Barrow CPU block/pump/res combo would be a good option in this case. EK has something similar for about $200 more, and the ModUltra Lobo block is about the same. If you're talking primarily about the GPU the same would apply, but I think it may be even harder to adapt the fittings on the GPU side.

Edit: I found two videos you might check out.
Machining adapters
Not hardline, but similar

Last edited:
Reactions: rfarmer