XC3 3080 Deshroud - Help Please

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Ok I have taken off all the screws and there are 4 connections on the GPU (1 for each of the 3 fans and 1 attached to the case).

1) Will disconnecting all of these cause a problem?

2) Am I better attaching the 2 Noctua fans to the gpu or motherboard?

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi SilentSniper,

1) I'm not sure what you mean about the 4th connection on the GPU, do you have pictures? Unplugging the original fans from the GPU will not cause issues IF you have replacement fans that will provide the needed airflow. It is not recommended to run the video card without fans directly blowing on the heatsink.

2) Both options will work, just depends on how you want to control your fans. If you connect them directly to the video card (does it have full size 4pin ports like the Asus cards, or are they mini 4 pin - you might have to get an adaptor in the latter case) The video card will control the fan speed similar to it's the original fans. If you plug them into the MB then you can use your MB bios or provided software to control the fan curve. There are also 3rd party options that control the fans regardless if they are hooked up on the VC or the MB (Argus Monitor comes to mind, but it has a small $$ cost to use it long term; Speedfan is free but mileage may very - didn't detect my 2080 fans; MSI Afterburner can control the fans if they are hooked up to the VC, if you want non-default fan curve)

Reactions: SilentSniper

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
No video signal on status. Warning light for DRAM. Reem seems all ok.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/#compatibility_notes

"Warning!Some AMD X570 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions".

If its a bios issue and needs updating I can't understand why it is lighting up the DRAM warning

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
I know you said you tried one stick of ram in your other thread, have you made sure the ram seats properly, clicks in on both sides? Have you tried each stick on their own to rule out a bad stick? Do you have more DDR4 ram that's known good near by that you can test?

Again I have the same motherboard and my 5600x comes later today so I can see if I'm getting the same issues and report back.

Have you thought about returning the X570I for a B550? The only reason I got the X570I is for the extra usb in the rear IO, but now I'm thinking a B550I with a USB hub would be a better option, on the plus side I'll lose the two motherboard fans that could cause extra noise and gain front usb-c, but lose the second pcie gen4 m.2 slot. I'm starting to think it's a good trade off.

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
The second m.2 was important for me.

Yes I tried one stick at a time in each port etc.

I haven't tried other ram.

Please let me know how you get on.

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Also to clarify, the B550I's still have 2x M.2 slots, the difference is one slot (front) is PCI-E gen 4 x4 (~5000MB/s limit), and the rear M.2 is PCI-E gen 3 x4 (~3500MB/s limit) where the X570I has 2x PCI-E gen 4 x4 (1 front, 1 rear). The extra 1500 MB/s is pretty significant on the second M.2 if you have a gen 4 supported NVME SSD, however it will run much more warm and could thermal throttle in the rear port anyway on the X570I, possibly making it as slow or shortening the life of the drive. I would probably limit my rear M.2 to gen 3 in the BIOS anyway.

Another thing to consider is in gaming currently there isn't a big difference from Gen3 to Gen4 in load times, though there is a possibility that could change in the future with DirectIO support, but we aren't there yet.

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
It was the bios. Super annoying and had to buy a cpu.

Thanks for all the help.

Running all fans as intake and will check on temps in the next couple days.

Whats the best way to check and adjust fan speeds?

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Yeah mine is the same, no post, stuck on DRAM LED. I will get a friend to help update the BIOS.

Best way to check imo is HWInfo. To adjust see 2) from my first response, it really depends on what fans and how they are hooked up.

SilentSniper

Caliper Novice
Original poster
Nov 10, 2020
Yeah mine is the same, no post, stuck on DRAM LED. I will get a friend to help update the BIOS.

Best way to check imo is HWInfo. To adjust see 2) from my first response, it really depends on what fans and how they are hooked up.
Thanks for all the help!

With regards to HWInfo does it let you set fan profiles like quiet, gaming etc or is it primarily for reading temps and key data.

The custom overlayooks nice.

elvendawn

Average Stuffer
Nov 12, 2020
Hi SilentSniper,

HWInfo is mostly just used for reading data. I really suggest you look at Argus Monitor, you can adjust your fan curves and set different fan profiles, for all of your MB fan headers, and for GPU.