XC Ultra w/ a12x15 fans or XC with a12x25 fans for m1?

thatcatpusheen

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
I'm looking to get a 2080 ti and I was wondering if anyone has experience with these two configurations in the m1 and which might offer better gpu cooling.

1. EVGA 2080 TI XC Ultra Gaming w/ 2 NF-A12x15 fans underneath (looks like you have to remove 4 middle screws to get this to fit, at least with the asrock z390 phantom gaming itx board)
  2. EVGA 2080 TI XC Gaming w/ 2 NF-A12x25 fans underneath

Any help is much appreciated :)

Lorindor

Case Bender
Mar 3, 2019
I have the 'Black Edition Gaming' card (which shares the same dimensions as the XC Gaming) with 2x NF-S12B's mounted on the bottom and the cooling is as efficient as it's going to get in such a small area.

The 2080 Ti is big and runs warm, therefore it's going to get hot in this case, regardless of the fan configuration.

thatcatpusheen

Chassis Packer
Original poster
Feb 9, 2019
I have the 'Black Edition Gaming' card (which shares the same dimensions as the XC Gaming) with 2x NF-S12B's mounted on the bottom and the cooling is as efficient as it's going to get in such a small area.

The 2080 Ti is big and runs warm, therefore it's going to get hot in this case, regardless of the fan configuration.
What kind of temps are you getting with this configuration? Any room for overclocking the card?

Thanks for the reply :)

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
What kind of temps are you getting with this configuration? Any room for overclocking the card?

Thanks for the reply :)

Your exhaust is probably going to matter more than your intake in the M1. That is a big part of why the generally accepted "best" GPU configuration in the Ncase M1 is to put a fanless Arctic Accelero III on your card and then configure the bottom case fans as exhaust. Doing that you have two 120mmx25mm fans exhausting the GPU's heat straight out of the case instead of a single 92mm pulling the GPU's heat up through the case and then out.

Since the 2080Ti is not currently compatible with the Accelero III, however, your best bet in my opinion would be to cool your CPU with a 240mm AIO with the fans configured as exhaust. That way you will have maximum exhaust so that GPU heat isn't lingering in your case heating things up.

Nanook

King of Cable Management
May 23, 2016
Your exhaust is probably going to matter more than your intake in the M1. That is a big part of why the generally accepted "best" GPU configuration in the Ncase M1 is to put a fanless Arctic Accelero III on your card and then configure the bottom case fans as exhaust. Doing that you have two 120mmx25mm fans exhausting the GPU's heat straight out of the case instead of a single 92mm pulling the GPU's heat up through the case and then out.

Since the 2080Ti is not currently compatible with the Accelero III, however, your best bet in my opinion would be to cool your CPU with a 240mm AIO with the fans configured as exhaust. That way you will have maximum exhaust so that GPU heat isn't lingering in your case heating things up.
I didn’t know that the Accelero isn’t compatible with the 2080ti, is it a specific 2080ti?

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
I didn’t know that the Accelero isn’t compatible with the 2080ti, is it a specific 2080ti?
My understanding is that it is all reference 2080 ti's. According to Arctic themselves it is not compatible due to components on the board being in positions that prevent proper mounting.

Reactions: fabio and Nanook

jtmsrl

Caliper Novice
Jan 12, 2019
My understanding is that it is all reference 2080 ti's. According to Arctic themselves it is not compatible due to components on the board being in positions that prevent proper mounting.

You are right, the AC3 is not officially supported on the RTX series but that’s because of the different pcb size and setups. The main reason they told me the AC3 wasn’t compatible was because the VRAM was too close to the gpu and it interfered with the ac3 heatsink when using the VRAM heatsinks, but you can play around to make it fit.

According to their site though, the 2080ti is compatible, just check if the pcb used by your model is the same as the reference one.

Anyways, I just finished my upgrade for an evga rtx 2080 xc with a reference pcb, you can check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/b4kfry/evga_rtx_2080_xc_arctic_accelero_iii_in_ncase_m1/

Reactions: Bioforce

Bioforce

Airflow Optimizer
Aug 31, 2018
You are right, the AC3 is not officially supported on the RTX series but that’s because of the different pcb size and setups. The main reason they told me the AC3 wasn’t compatible was because the VRAM was too close to the gpu and it interfered with the ac3 heatsink when using the VRAM heatsinks, but you can play around to make it fit.

According to their site though, the 2080ti is compatible, just check if the pcb used by your model is the same as the reference one.

Anyways, I just finished my upgrade for an evga rtx 2080 xc with a reference pcb, you can check it out.

https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/b4kfry/evga_rtx_2080_xc_arctic_accelero_iii_in_ncase_m1/

How interesting. Thank you for the info and the pictures.