Would like to build a super simple portable case.

jammiedod93r

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
Hey everyone,

I'll be going to do some volunteer work for 6 months in 3 countries beginning in mid January and I would like to take my PC with me. As a student I can't really justify the price of a gaming laptop when I already have a decent PC.

I would like to make my current micro-atx computer more portable and was thinking of putting all the hardware into a wooden box like this but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not.

For the layout this is exactly how I wanted mine to be as well.

https://pcpartpicker.com/b/LN8KHx

It doesn't have to be really complicated, just sturdy enough to hold the parts and small enough so that I can take it as hand luggage on a plane.

Some advice would be appreciated.
Thanks for reading.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!

For something that can take the abuse of airline travel I'd second building in a Pelican case or similar.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Welcome to the forum!
For something that can take the abuse of airline travel I'd second building in a Pelican case or similar.

I'd also consider custom foam inserts as can be fit in to support coolers and any add-in cards during travel, depending on the void space and weight of the components.

jammiedod93r

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
Thanks for the replies.

My budget is pretty tight so a new pc case + harness or a pelican case are kind of too much for me at the moment. I was thinking about spending around ~$65.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's fine, nothing like a low budget to force a creative solution to a problem. I would highly recommend getting metal corner brackets though to reinforce the wood if you go that route.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Although that is beautiful, I don't think wood is the idea candidate for taking a chassis on a plane. You will have to have some extreme carpentry skills to make something durable and lightweight.

I'm not saying its impossible (because of course it isn't) but it will weigh a ton and only be a fraction of the strength of sheet metal.

I would personally consider getting a Node 202 (for the layout) and modding it with wood accents or some 3M dinoc which looks like the real stuff. The Node 202 isn't strong for travel either so you might want to reenforce it unless you have padding planned.

NOT HATING ON THE WOOD MOD! Love the idea and that chassis is impressive. I'm just thinking out loud trying to align goals. :)

Peace!

jammiedod93r

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
That's fine, nothing like a low budget to force a creative solution to a problem. I would highly recommend getting metal corner brackets though to reinforce the wood if you go that route.

Yes, I would definitely want to reinforce the box.

Although that is beautiful, I don't think wood is the idea candidate for taking a chassis on a plane. You will have to have some extreme carpentry skills to make something durable and lightweight.

I'm not saying its impossible (because of course it isn't) but it will weigh a ton and only be a fraction of the strength of sheet metal.

I would personally consider getting a Node 202 (for the layout) and modding it with wood accents or some 3M dinoc which looks like the real stuff. The Node 202 isn't strong for travel either so you might want to reenforce it unless you have padding planned.

NOT HATING ON THE WOOD MOD! Love the idea and that chassis is impressive. I'm just thinking out loud trying to align goals. :)

Peace!

I don't particularly care what material the box is made out of, I just chose wood because wooden boxes are pretty cheap. If I can find an aluminium box for around the same price I would definitely go for that. I linked that picture to show the hardware layout I would like rather than the wooden case.

The problem with the node 202 idea is that I would need to get a new case, psu and motherboard which is not possible due to the low budget.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
My apologies...

Is this chassis not an option because of looks? You wouldn't even have to pack it, you could just throw it in the overhead. I use these handles for that chassis for portable streaming boxes. You can attached them with 3/16" pop rivets (1/4" long) and they are awesome.

I know it is far from your layout goals, but you don't need to buy a ribbon cable (which makes things weaker and more expensive), is very compact, should be sturdy enough for travel, and will fit all your hardware. Plus, it is under your budget, even with the handles. :)

Let me know what you don't like about it and I can recommend different stuff based on your requirements.

Peace!

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
You might want to try looking for a second-hand 'Flight Case', a wooden crate with pre-fitted metal corners, edges, latches and handles, and usually plenty of internal foam you could carve out to fit a PC into. Probably sturdier than any box you could construct for the same price, as long as you aren't buying one new. Try calling up local theatres and AV suppliers and ask if they have any surplus you could have (many probably have a few lying around that previously fit equipment that has since been junked).

jammiedod93r

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
A bit of a delay but I've been busy over the last month and didn't get much chance to work on this project. A friend of mine said that he can get his dad to build me a metal case for no extra cost as long as I give him the dimensions.

My current idea is to try and fit all the components into a footprint of a 15 inch laptop as I'm thinking of installing a 15.6 inch monitor on the lid of the box. Currently the interior specs of the box is 38cm x 25cm which is slightly bigger than a monitor. The issue with this size is that if I keep both the motherboard and gpu flat I would need to lengthen the 25cm to ~32cm as well as the need to buy a shielded riser. So I was thinking that a super simple solution would be to remove the gpu and store it flat in the case when it's being transported and install it like normal when I need to use the computer. Is this a good idea?

I plan on using a low profile cpu cooler and the height of the case will be high enough to allow me to fit an atx psu which would also give me the necessary height to store the gpu above the motherboard area while the case is being transported.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
If you are installing the laptop display on the lid and carrying the card seperately because it won't fit in the box, how will you install it when you get there? I mean, are you just planning to take the lid off and let the gpu poke up? I'd look into getting a flexible riser, I got a 250mm one (let's me rotate the fan so it faces up toward the lid of my briefcase, vs down into the bottom of my case). If you don't care about orientation HDPlex has a really good one for cheap. Longer ones are available from LiHeat and Thermaltake just announced some nice looking ones at CES.

What is your timeline for case completion?

jammiedod93r

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Dec 1, 2016
I was imagining it like this http://technabob.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/briefcase-computer-by-yoshiwars-2.jpg
The height of the bottom will be 9cm so the gpu will poke out by 4cm which won't restrict the view of the screen.

The card will fit in the box as there is enough space above the motherboard to store it while travelling but (in my opinion) not enough space to keep the cpu cool when in use which is why I wanted to only store it above the cpu

I'd really like the gpu fans to face in the same direction as the cpu cooler so I will definitely need to use a flexible riser, the issue with keeping it flat would be that I would need to extend the length case and as silly as it sounds it'll make the case look more 'square' rather than something close to a 16:9 ratio.

I have 4 days till I leave but the timeline is not a huge issue right now as I've borrowed an old gaming laptop which I can use while I'm away.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
I don't even see a graphics card in the pic you posted, so it is hard to get what you mean.

When I did my setup ( https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/deployment-box.567/ ) what helped me the most was laying everything out. If you have the components but not the case, make one out of cardboard and try various ways to make them fit. Put your cables in as well -- I had all sorts of ideas and most of them were invalid once I cut out card board shapes and put them in my case :D

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Ah. I think the card facing down is a bad idea - he's using a 2U fixed riser in that build it looks like

Reactions: Soul_Est