Build idea: portable, modular gaming case

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Hey all, I did a quick browse and couldn't find another build that did what I would like to do so I wanted to pose the idea. Looking for feedback, or even a similar idea I might have missed. Being somewhat dissapointed with the performance/cost of a NUC+TB3 eGPU enclosure , I want to make my own while utilizing a standard PCIe slot.

I was thinking about taking a very small mITX case, such as this one and chopping a hole in the side for a right angle pci-e slot adapter. This would allow a GPU to be attached to this slot externally, while also being able to separate it for portability. Was thinking of making a custom enclosure for the GPU, along with an SFX power supply to power it, while using an HDPlex inside of the mITX case to power the main system.

Crazy? Stupid? Already been done? I'm not sure! I am open to feedback.

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
Modularity always sounds like a cool idea, but in practice, most people will just stick to one configuration that best covers their use-case because they don't feel like constantly reconfiguring. Take a look at modular phones and laptops for example, non of them ever really took of (unless you count two-in-ones).

The main advantage of a desktop compared to laptops is a better price to performance, so if you need portability, but not that much performance, a laptop would be more appropriate for most people. If you need both portability and performance, then an SFF desktop with GPU would be more suitable. Basically, I can't think of that many scenarios in which you would take off the GPU, especially considering that itx GPUs don't take up that much space. If you need performance at home and portability elsewhere, you could also get a laptop and connect an external GPU.

With all that said though, if you feel like this case would be very useful to you, then by all means, go ahead. I just think that this idea wouldn't be hugely popular in the gaming community.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Reldey

Reldey

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Feb 14, 2017
Yeah I think you are right. I guess the main reason (which I forgot to include) for trying to separate the two is to make battery powered operation possible on the mitx system once disconnected from the GPU enclosure. Almost like a desktop that can be carried around as a laptop, with a compact monitor, keyboard, and mouse. Again, like you said this is what laptops are for but what I think drew me to the idea is to not have separate systems, and instead use one. Also the modularity and repair-ability if anything breaks.