• No

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters

RDilux

Case Bender
Original poster
New User
May 18, 2017
Been asking this on other forums without a solid awnser...
So i have the MSI Trident 3 a great mini pc comes in something above 4L and it currenty have a GTX 1060 and a i5 7400.
When i saw the NFC s4 mini powering a GTX 1060 with only a 160w PSU this let me believe that i could power the 1070 with no problem with a 230w PSU.

Should i try it with 230w or upgrade to 330w?

Chrizz

Average Stuffer
Jan 23, 2017
I have a 84W CPU and 145W GPU and a mini-itx motherboard. Most my system has pulled from the wall is 255W which at means that a 92% efficiency the PSU is delivering 255*0.92=235W to my components.

The 1070 uses 5W more than my GPU, but the CPU uses 19W less. So I if you're also using a mini-itx motherboard, I would say that it would probably work if you get a PSU of decent quality.
Needless to say, don't expect much or any overclocking headroom.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
When i saw the NFC s4 mini powering a GTX 1060 with only a 160w PSU

If you mean Josh's testing of the HDPLEX 160W DC-ATX, that's because that unit is underspecced and is capable of more than 160W with adequate cooling and a powerful enough AC-DC source.

The AC-DC adapter is the weak point though. Laptop bricks don't deal well with directly powering modern GPUs (due to the spikey power load characteristics) if the rated power of the brick is close to the average system draw at load.

So I'd say go for 330W on the brick.

Reactions: thewizzard1

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Looks like I'm the first no vote here. If you look at power consumption numbers on Metro Last Light you can see the 1070 routinely spikes into 200-220W territory. Also note that this is a review of a founder's edition card at (I believe) stock frequencies.

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1070-8gb-pascal-performance,4585-7.html

Considering this is a game (albeit a resource hungry one on the GPU side), I would consider it within the realm of real world top end consumption. This leaves you with 20-40W to run the rest of your system in a high stress situation. Unless you want to run a T-series CPU or under clock the 1070 significantly you're going to be running the risk of either hitting overcurrent protection or blowing your brick altogether. Also worth noting is that most power bricks can only handle 10%-ish more current than they are rated for. This means your brick will fail at ~264W total system draw.

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
My 1060 system had a recommended power requirement of ~280W according to PCPartPicker. I went with the Corsair SF450.

msystems

King of Cable Management
Apr 28, 2017
It's close but I'm gonna say yes cause processors and GPUs are overbudgeted on voltage at stock frequencies so if your power supply is high quality you can drop voltages by 10% which will drop your temps and power usage by probably 30w at load here. At least on the 1080 I am testing I could drop by 200mv before any performance hit and the impact was 40w @ load savings on the GPU alone. However consider how many sata drives and peripherals you have because this is barely cutting it.

Worst case scenario you can hard-limit your processor TDP in bios and you can hard limit the nvidia GPU max TDP in afterburner to protect from shutdowns if it peaks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
Been asking this on other forums without a solid awnser...
So i have the MSI Trident 3 a great mini pc comes in something above 4L and it currenty have a GTX 1060 and a i5 7400.
When i saw the NFC s4 mini powering a GTX 1060 with only a 160w PSU this let me believe that i could power the 1070 with no problem with a 230w PSU.

Should i try it with 230w or upgrade to 330w?
Yes, don't no know if it will work is all situations but I tested a HP 230w that I got for really good deal while I was waiting for my 330w to come. I thought it would shut off durring max load but no ran fur mar and watt reader says 270 but seems to be powing it fine. I do have it paired with a 400w HDplex so don't know if that make a differnece haven't tested it with the 160 hd yet.

But def works with a Zotac 1070 and a 1700x with a 970 Evo.

I did notice that it pulls 30 more watts compared to when I was testing with a 300w internal brick. Not sure if the bricks pull more for some reason.

Last edited:

thewizzard1

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 27, 2017
it's right on the fence for me. I'd strongly recommend getting a Kill-a-Watt device, and measure your gaming and synthetic benchmark loads. If gaming is 220ish, and synthetic is 250, you'll make it. If gaming is 230-250 and synthetics are 300 (which is more like what I'm expecting), I'd spring for the 330W, or underclock / undervolt the GPU to sneak it back into a 250W envelope.

Reactions: Ghost

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
it's right on the fence for me. I'd strongly recommend getting a Kill-a-Watt device, and measure your gaming and synthetic benchmark loads. If gaming is 220ish, and synthetic is 250, you'll make it. If gaming is 230-250 and synthetics are 300 (which is more like what I'm expecting), I'd spring for the 330W, or underclock / undervolt the GPU to sneak it back into a 250W envelope.
Yea agree I got a kill a watt and for some reason I pull 250-270 synthetic when useing a 230w brick. So not sure if it's bad for it but seems to power over the said amount.

I think they are about the same size too so if the price is close I would just get the 330 in can you upgrade. Unless you were getting the 230 super cheap.

drunker

Trash Compacter
Apr 25, 2017
There are not hard limit with any psu/power bricks. They are just a number given by the manufactures to indicate the capacity of a power unit that will operate at a given window. Let's say your power bricks is supply 230w at 12v. Your system needs 250w. You might come across voltage drop after the 230w power had been supplied. The voltage might be lower than the minimum voltage required for system. Your system would shut down. But you should be fine as long as you don't go nuts on it. But more importantly, Your power supply has to be a good quality well branded ones. I have experience many cheap power bricks, they are not capable of delivering as promised. While the good power bricks like what you would find in dell, lenovo laptops have plenty of over head. Hope it helps

Ghost

Average Stuffer
Jul 23, 2018
There are not hard limit with any psu/power bricks. They are just a number given by the manufactures to indicate the capacity of a power unit that will operate at a given window. Let's say your power bricks is supply 230w at 12v. Your system needs 250w. You might come across voltage drop after the 230w power had been supplied. The voltage might be lower than the minimum voltage required for system. Your system would shut down. But you should be fine as long as you don't go nuts on it. But more importantly, Your power supply has to be a good quality well branded ones. I have experience many cheap power bricks, they are not capable of delivering as promised. While the good power bricks like what you would find in dell, lenovo laptops have plenty of over head. Hope it helps
Yea I realize that just figured it would shut down when maxing it 30 plus over the recommended. But this HP 230w must be original. Seems to be solid. Kinda wish would of not ordered the 330w now. But oh well. Got a backup I guess.

Thanks for the info tho.