News Windows 10 version 2004 (May 2020 Update) is now available.

Microsoft has managed to get their next major update to Windows 10 out just in time to avoid having to change the name to June 2020 update!

You can download an ISO or the Media Creation Tool from here:

This version is a more extensive update that the last 1909 version. The major changes include:

Support for DirectX 12 Ultimate (which will probably make this a required update for future games, especially those with ray tracing)
Improvements to Xbox Game Bar, which now supports third party widgets
GPU temperature will now be shown in Task Manager
Updates to Cortana, which is now an app making it easier to keep updated
Easier, quicker Bluetooth pairing
Major improvements to Virtual Desktops
Memory optimizations for Microsoft Edge so now you can use it for something other than installing Chrome ?

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Since you started this thread, may I ask, have you yourself made this update already?
If yes, what build version did you update from?

Frankly, Windows Update is not something that I look forward to.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I’ve only created my USB drive for the new version. I’ll be installing onto a spare SSD over the weekend first to make sure I don’t run into issues.

This should be a fairly safe update as it has less new features than previous versions and it’s had more testing than usual due to the global coronavirus lockdowns. Microsoft delayed the release as they knew more people would be working from home without tech support.

I’ll update this thread after I’ve done the upgrade.

murderbymodem

Average Stuffer
Jun 6, 2019
I just installed this as a fresh install today. Phantasy Star Online 2 launched on the Microsoft Store yesterday, but my old Windows install was somehow broken from being updated so many times and Microsoft Store apps just would NOT install without errors.

First impressions are pretty good. I don't know if this is a new feature or if I just needed the initial setup/tutorial to tell me about it, but I was prompted to take advantage of the "Your Phone" feature where you can access text messages and photos from your phone. This feature works VERY well and with basically everything requiring Dual-Factor authentication texts for logins these days, I found myself always cursing and walking across the room to grab my phone. Not anymore!

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've updated yesterday, it took around 30 minutes on my system. Task Manager and Network Settings have received some welcome updates, but nothing fancy.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Memory optimizations for Microsoft Edge so now you can use it for something other than installing Chrome ?

That's really not fair. I've been using Edge as my daily driver in the last month, and I'm not looking back.
Besides, isn't Chrome known for terrible memory optimization? Not that I'd know, I haven't used it for years now...

Reactions: AlexTSG

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
That's really not fair. I've been using Edge as my daily driver in the last month, and I'm not looking back.
Besides, isn't Chrome known for terrible memory optimization? Not that I'd know, I haven't used it for years now...

I actually use Edge as my primary browser, and not only only since they released the new Chromium based version.

I work as a Network Engineer and Administrator and a lot of the Microsoft management tools just work better with Edge or even Internet Explorer, so I find myself using it for everything else too. I still have Chrome installed as I occasionally run into a webpage that doesn’t display correctly in Edge/IE. I also have some cryptocurrency plugins like Metamask which only work in Chrome.

Having said that, I’m one of the few, and the vast majority of the users on my network only use Chrome. I’ve even had one or two of them log a call saying that “The Internet isn’t installed on their laptop”, because we hadn’t loaded Chrome ?

Reactions: WLK

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Okay, you might want to hold off on that installation if any of the following things will affect you.

Here’s Microsoft’s list of known issues:

For me, the only one I’m concerned about is the Thunderbolt 3 dock problem. I use an eGPU with my laptop, so I may need to wait for a fix for that.

Do note that these are fairly specific to particular hardware and most of them look like they just need a driver update from the respective manufacturers.

Reactions: Phuncz

Hifihedgehog

Editor-in-chief of SFFPC.review
May 3, 2016
www.sffpc.review
I am holding off for a while. Microsoft made some serious missteps with Cortana. Previously, I used it on a HTPC to start Kodi and games. The issue now is when you prompt Cortana in the May 2020, it brings up a message window. If you use Cortana to launch programs including games and Kodi, Cortana’s message window will remain open in the foreground. This makes Cortana useless as a program starter.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've also found a bug at work with Office 2013 and the new update. Opening two simple Excel files without any links will suddenly stop working and don't allow to interact with one of the documents until the other one is closed.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
I've also found a bug at work with Office 2013 and the new update. Opening two simple Excel files without any links will suddenly stop working and don't allow to interact with one of the documents until the other one is closed.

That’s going to be an issue for our PCs at work too. They’re all running Office 2013. I’ll be sure to do some testing before we start rolling out the new 2004 version.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have the same combination of OS and Office at work and at home, both systems show this behavior. Today Outlook crashed while I was typing a long mail and it didn't have an autosave which it normally does.

AlexTSG

Master of Cramming
Original poster
Jun 17, 2018
www.youtube.com
Looks like I'll be sending out a company wide email tomorrow morning.

I can block the update on our WSUS server to prevent people at the office from going to 2004, but we have the majority of our staff working from home since the lockdown began, and they still have an option to check for updates when connected to their home networks.

fedder

Caliper Novice
Feb 8, 2020
I've had no issues with this update but holy shit was I mad when Edge popped open on its own and tried to make me use it and then made a desktop shortcut for itself and then pinned itself to my task bar. I was actually livid for a few hours after that. Why the fuck do they have to do shit like that.

• Haha
Reactions: thelaughingman

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I've had no issues with this update but holy shit was I mad when Edge popped open on its own and tried to make me use it and then made a desktop shortcut for itself and then pinned itself to my task bar. I was actually livid for a few hours after that. Why the fuck do they have to do shit like that.
How easy to get rid of these? I imagine, deleting the desktop shortcut and unpinning it from the task bar should be easy enough?
This is one area I have yet to forgive Microsoft. When their IE was way behind Netscape Navigator in the early days, they played dirty to force Netscape out of business.

Reactions: thelaughingman