Please educate me on w10 versions

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Ive had it in the back of my head for a few years ignoring it, but now i have to change to a windows 10 for my new workstation due to new cpu and some of my software.
Thank you Microsoft

Have been reading it in detail for a few days and just want to get it over with.

Its going to be my new game dev and content creation workstation(some gaming mabe too), so mainly loud like to have a windows with the least bloatware and something that will stop (as most as possible) those updates as i dont plan on instaling meltdown stuff and criple the 7980xe.(hopefully stop to a degree the telemetry and unnecessary computing in the background that may happen.

From what I understand,the Pro version can only delay updates for 35 days?
The Enterprise coud stop them indefinitely and the Enterprice LTSB can stop them indefinitely and doesnt have stuff like Cortana,adds and may look more like what a windows 7 is?

Not sure about performance and quality between the Enterprise and the LTSB and I have no idea how does Windows 10 Pro for Workstation stand next to those two.

Thank you guys.I know it coud be a painfull topic :oops:

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
My advice to you is to take a garbage machine and put windows 10 on it then play around with it(since its a garbage computer anything you break won't matter). I also advise you not to put it on a VM instead. Having a real system makes the experience better. Watch youtube videos on the subject, and simply continue reading up on the subject. No one will "teach" you something unless you pay them money, they're bored and have free time or just because.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
Windows 7 will work on modern processors and systems - there's just no official support, and device driver support may be hit and miss. Per @Nightblade you could get an older system (even new) if you can live with the limitations of the "older" tech.

Reactions: Soul_Est

jmarin

Airflow Optimizer
Mar 8, 2018
Windows 10 is not that bad, and the updates shouldn't be delayed. The Meltdown fix does not cripple the CPU, that was a temporary thing. There are also ways using Powershell etc to eliminate some of the bloatware you may be referring to (like Xbox for PC, etc.) I have been running Windows 10 on my laptop and desktop since the free upgrade offer from 7, and I have no regrets and no complaints. You can turn off Cortana and a bunch of data collection stuff right from the install as well.

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
From my understanding Enterprise coud be bought in volumes and is subscription only?(7$ monthly)

But i see coments stating that individual license can be bought for home use,one time payment nly, and Ive found a ¨¨shady¨¨ page selling the thing for 350€?

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Windows Enterprise licenses are only sold through Microsoft directly or through a limited selection of specific partners which will probably not sell to consumers as the Enterprise license is for Enterprise only. I'd be amazed if you were able to legally obtain an Enterprise license as a consumer, I would expect it to be a scam.

Windows 10 Pro would be the way to go, I'm sure there are ways to circumvent it from upgrading. You could potentially set up a WSUS server (needs a Windows Server license and another machine) which can defer updates as long as you want. If you block the addresses that Windows looks for updates, you're in control. The cheaper version would be to use another PC that has WSUS Offline regularly downloading Windows updates and install them at your convenience.

But it's genuinely not a good idea to not regularly update Windows. The feature upgrades that launch about every half year is another thing, but those can be deferred through the means I mentioned or through other means as well (Local Group Policy on Windows 10 Pro).

Reactions: owliwar and jmarin

O_and_N

Average Stuffer
Original poster
Aug 18, 2016
Thank you.I suspected it might be a scam.I will go with the w10 pro for workstation as at least saves me the time to remove the stupid games and apps that go with pro.

Reactions: Phuncz and owliwar

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
I only had problems with windows update once, and it was like, last month. I've been using win10 since the free upgrade as well.
the issue I got had to do with windows ink and my old wacom tablet. so it was something very specific that I just rolled back an update as they are already working on a fix, so, I don't think its that bad really.