Discussion Why haven't any SFF manufacturer included a mesh top for sub 5L cases

TrevinLC1997

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Apr 27, 2018
I've been looking at a lot of cases lately that are made out of aluminum and honestly they are beautiful. I've owned a few of them and if you put anything like a 65w tdp chip in there it gets pretty damn toasty quickly. Temps are unstable so your CPU fan is constantly going to 100% for a few seconds, back down to quiet, back to 100% and it's just not a good experience.

Obviously the SFF is a niche market but those who like SFF cases usually like to get as much power in smallest form factor. (Unless you're a business where SFF is actually needed)

I'll give an example of what I mean, the cases that I love the look of but are freaking hot boxes are
  • F1C Evo - I've contacted them if any revision was planned and although they said it hasn't been updated since... well forever if it ever did get reworked they'd probably do something like a mesh lid.
  • Realan E-H60 through E-H80S
  • RGeek L80S (Although it looks like a reskinned E-H80S, but it at least its better because it has ventilation holes at the top!)
  • Many more

But then you have Intel who made their NUC 9 Extreme and boom the ventilation on that thing is increidble you could easily probably fit a 4700G (8c16t 65w tdp) in it and it'd be quiet as hell.

Mainly I am asking why haven't any SFF manufactures just done something like the NUC design. I spent a combined $300-$400 for just my SFF case and pico power supply. I wouldn't mind paying what I needed to get one of those.

For those asking why I don't just buy the NUC. It's because I want AMD and also a standard ITX so I can upgrade it when ever I want.

Lucas

Caliper Novice
Oct 19, 2020
I wonder where I can get hold of such sheet metal for build projects. Can't seem to find any good ones that are really small.

Lbibass

Chassis Packer
May 2, 2020
I've been looking at a lot of cases lately that are made out of aluminum and honestly they are beautiful. I've owned a few of them and if you put anything like a 65w tdp chip in there it gets pretty damn toasty quickly. Temps are unstable so your CPU fan is constantly going to 100% for a few seconds, back down to quiet, back to 100% and it's just not a good experience.

Obviously the SFF is a niche market but those who like SFF cases usually like to get as much power in smallest form factor. (Unless you're a business where SFF is actually needed)

I'll give an example of what I mean, the cases that I love the look of but are freaking hot boxes are
  • F1C Evo - I've contacted them if any revision was planned and although they said it hasn't been updated since... well forever if it ever did get reworked they'd probably do something like a mesh lid.
  • Realan E-H60 through E-H80S
  • RGeek L80S (Although it looks like a reskinned E-H80S, but it at least its better because it has ventilation holes at the top!)
  • Many more

But then you have Intel who made their NUC 9 Extreme and boom the ventilation on that thing is increidble you could easily probably fit a 4700G (8c16t 65w tdp) in it and it'd be quiet as hell.

Mainly I am asking why haven't any SFF manufactures just done something like the NUC design. I spent a combined $300-$400 for just my SFF case and pico power supply. I wouldn't mind paying what I needed to get one of those.

For those asking why I don't just buy the NUC. It's because I want AMD and also a standard ITX so I can upgrade it when ever I want.

Constantly ramping fans is a sign that your fan curve is incorrectly configured. I use FanControl to control my fans. Works great. it lets me minimize the noise on my SM560 with 645LT and a 3900x.