Which sff case for good thermals and low noise?

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I've been wanting to build in a sff case for a while now. Right now my build is a large ATX case which I bought pre built. It performs and looks great but it is just a mess to travel with it.
I don't travel to often with my case but it happens maybe 4 times a year and that huge and heavy case is not easy to transport by train.

I value noise levels a lot.
Since an sff case usually sits on top of the table compared to larger cases which are placed under the table I'm worried it will make a lot of noise.

Can anyone recommend an sff case that will be quiet? I've been thinking about the Dan case, ncase m1, ghost s1, skyreach 4 mini. The usual suspects so to say

EndEffeKt

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 23, 2019
I got no charts, but I think it boils down to the question what kind of cooling you intend to use and how far you are willing to go with modding and water.
For an air cooled setup the NCase is the way to go in my opinion, because it simply offeres much more cpu cooler height clearance than any sandwich layout.
For a sandwich case if using a high tdp chip you will most likely have to use an aio of some sort to stay quiet. Although I dont know the noise to performance of small aios. In the Dan you will be limited to 92mm still. In a Node 202 or in a Dr. Sabre Sentry its 120mm with an Itx Gpu, which soulds favourable.

Many factors to consider. And we havent talked modding a gpu for exhaust or using an accelero cooler. In the end I guess that the NCase is a good candidate if silence is a concern.

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I suggest you first come up with a list of hardware components of your target system. The cooling of a top end CPU+GPU can be vastly different from a mid to lower end CPU+GPU. And the cooling needed will more or less determine the noise+thermal level.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I suggest you first come up with a list of hardware components of your target system. The cooling of a top end CPU+GPU can be vastly different from a mid to lower end CPU+GPU. And the cooling needed will more or less determine the noise+thermal level.

I'm mostly into gaming so I don't think I need a high end cpu.

I've owned a node 202 before and even with two noctua fans right above the intake for the open air gpu I had at the time (Radeon 390x) it would get pretty hear able indeed.

Lallo

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Jun 1, 2018
I got no charts, but I think it boils down to the question what kind of cooling you intend to use and how far you are willing to go with modding and water.
For an air cooled setup the NCase is the way to go in my opinion, because it simply offeres much more cpu cooler height clearance than any sandwich layout.
For a sandwich case if using a high tdp chip you will most likely have to use an aio of some sort to stay quiet. Although I dont know the noise to performance of small aios. In the Dan you will be limited to 92mm still. In a Node 202 or in a Dr. Sabre Sentry its 120mm with an Itx Gpu, which soulds favourable.

Many factors to consider. And we havent talked modding a gpu for exhaust or using an accelero cooler. In the end I guess that the NCase is a good candidate if silence is a concern.
I think the Ncase is good but it is almost to big for me.

Instran0

Master of Cramming
May 31, 2017
this answer was not really what I was looking for. There are no arguments to why this case would be better than any of the more "known" ones.

completely incorrect.

if you just read the thread, it explains why its low noise with good thermals.

or if you still don't want to do that, its discussed here :

Last edited: