Why are you interested in SFF?

xcrco

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Apr 16, 2017
I work on the field and rather using my laptop this opened a new idea for me to bring a system that could play casual games on the go. :)

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 5, 2016
My main reason is space constraints. I dont have a lot of desk space for a PC and I love to take my rig with me to LANs and Partys. I used to do that with a massive 40L cases and since dropping to the sub 20L builds it has made my life so much easier.

Reactions: Soul_Est

Kwirek

Cable-Tie Ninja
Nov 19, 2016
I like constraints, to cut out the flab and end up with the essence.
When I drew forum avatars for people I was in an eternal battle with the 120x120 pixel allottment and often cursed over it's restrictions. But secretly I came to love it, how to creatively use the space for maximum detail and flair when every pixel counted, competing with other like minded nut-cases serving the forum goers and in our own navel-gazing competitions...

Even now, when I instead take photos, I tend to gravitate to the 1:1 crop. It is so restrictive, almost a little naughty.

For pc-cases it is a combination of things.
Mostly I think that large cases are an eyesore in most situations, doubled if it has "gamerz" written all over it in fluorescent crayon between the dragons and bulls. Clean lines, nice materials, no wasted space and an general sober aesthetic is what I like. Unfortunately I've found that only the most expensive brands tend to cater to that segment of the market, be it clothes, furniture or pc-cases...

grumpyrobin

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2017
I lived in Japan but now in the UK, and I am thinking of moving back to Japan.
It's cheaper to just build a brand new computer than to transport it over there.

Ergo I might as well just make something that fits in a carry-on.
I've narrowed down all the cases that can do this.
Number 1 right now is NCASE M1 ( I want to OC the cpu so low profile air cooling is a nono).
But I am waiting on the LOUQE Ghost S1. Even though I would need a top hat to have it fit an AIO, it would still be 2.7 cm thinner than an NCase m1, and that means I can fit an extra ipad in my carry-on.

ecube

Minimal Tinkerer
New User
May 16, 2017
First post here! My love for SFF pc began when I started using my pc as a media center. Now I try to pack as much power as I can into a small form factor while keeping it aesthetically pleasing. I am the proud owner of S4 mini #94 Desert Night and my current build includes i7 6700, Thermaltake engine 27 cooler, asus z270i, 16gb Trident Z RGB, 1TB Crucial MX300 m.2 and a pico 160 XT with 192 w brick. I am getting a 1060 soon and will switch psu to a HDPLEX 160 and higher wattage brick.

a13antichrist

Average Stuffer
Apr 20, 2018
Haven't read all the way through the thread yet, but, will do soon and hoping it will give me some ideas of my own.

But, on the whole I like to minimise inefficiency, remove waste of whatever kind, and make things that don't look like they should be capable of thing what they do. Oh and at the same time, they have to look Wife-acceptable, even though that's not a limitation for me (at present). I find that SFF options generally adhere to this last more than larger options. And in general, PCs that don't look like PCs will --always-- have more of an interest to the wider public who still see computers in general as a niche/geeky thing.

McTeags

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Feb 18, 2017
I like bringing my PC to my friend's place so we can all game together. Also, I'm a minimalist.

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
For me why I like ITX is the min max kind of lifestyle I have. Not micromanaging stuff, but having the minimum of something that fulfills every kind of functioning criteria I need. People can make big things work, but for something so small but works just as much, that is the magic in life.

Reactions: ignsvn

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
Functional reasons, like.. I only have small space, and I found laptop to be relatively slow.

And then of course there are non-functional reasons, like bragging rights...

I have this lady co-worker in the office who's into PC. She's currently building an ITX PC in Cooler Master Elite 110 (which is actually good enough case).

Wait until I show her my MI-6.

And then I'll give her the forum URL.. :cool:

Reactions: Supercluster

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've been fiddling and building PCs for over 20 years and it was just no challenge anymore, but routine. My first SFF case (Shuttle SG33G5) was my wakeup call what I was missing in my hobby: a real challenge. Getting creative in problem-solving, thinking ahead, minding efficiency constantly.

Reactions: kotproger

Midiamp

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Mar 15, 2017
michaeladhi.com
I have this lady co-worker in the office who's into PC. She's currently building an ITX PC in Cooler Master Elite 110 (which is actually good enough case).

Wait until I show her my MI-6.

And then I'll give her the forum URL.. :cool:
Dude bro... I hope you're not making a double entendre joke there. But if you do, 8/10.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
  • smaller and less intimidating in terms of introducing someone to PC hardware (my very first DIY PC has scared a few of my friends back then, LOL (even at the time it wasn't top of the line or anything))
  • needwant my PC to be less of a furniture and more of an appliance
  • hugging it from time to time

Nightblade

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 29, 2017
My PC building experience is pretty similar to the above & previous posters, in that I started off with big cases then went to mATX because of $$$ and i didn't like carrying around a big computer for lan parties. Now I've got my Skyreach 4 Mini and am very satisfied with the results. I want to try to push the boundaries further with NUCs and the like.

Choidebu

"Banned"
Aug 16, 2017
After a decade with atx builds, I came into conclusion that most people me included, will never come close to using even 80% of the included stuff in it, let alone the space available. In the past it made sense to have multiple pci extension slots, e.g. ethernet, modem, soundcard, dvb... but not since all these came integrated. And with floppy and optical drives phasing to extinction I don't see the point anymore on putting a huge box anywhere in my room.

The cost was prohibitive though, so only recently that I can finally go as small as I dreamed.

Reactions: Kwirek and Soul_Est

ignsvn

By Toutatis!
SFFn Staff
Apr 4, 2016
After a decade with atx builds, I came into conclusion that most people me included, will never come close to using even 80% of the included stuff in it, let alone the space available. In the past it made sense to have multiple pci extension slots, e.g. ethernet, modem, soundcard, dvb... but not since all these came integrated.

+1