Why are you interested in SFF?

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
That was quite the setup in the ADAMAS case. In a way, the dual socket setup shows how needlessly large many ATX cases became.

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
That was quite the setup in the ADAMAS case. In a way, the dual socket setup shows how needlessly large many ATX cases became.

Absolutely. That's why I'm slowly working on a 20lt case design that can accommodate a 2P LGA 2011 setup :)
No, Aiboh, I'm not gonna be competing with you :D (well, I can't), but I'll post my Sketchups to possibly motivate you to pursue it. After Nova of course, first things first.

Btw, I know it won't be Nova but I don't know what else to call it. Announce the new name already!! :mad::p

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Absolutely. That's why I'm slowly working on a 20lt case design that can accommodate a 2P LGA 2011 setup :)
No, Aiboh, I'm not gonna be competing with you :D (well, I can't), but I'll post my Sketchups to possibly motivate you to pursue it. After Nova of course, first things first.

Btw, I know it won't be Nova but I don't know what else to call it. Announce the new name already!! :mad::p

Dude, stop hyping us on that stuff! You've said you'd post pictures of it "this evening" a couple of months back and never delivered. Give us at least something! It's not like any case manufacturer would want to copy that stuff, we've already assessed that :D

Reactions: Biowarejak

theGryphon

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 15, 2015
Dude, stop hyping us on that stuff! You've said you'd post pictures of it "this evening" a couple of months back and never delivered. Give us at least something! It's not like any case manufacturer would want to copy that stuff, we've already assessed that :D

I know because I could never settle on a design. I was never 100% convinced, so it kept changing. You wouldn't believe the number of Sketchup drafts I have! :)

The other thing is, I wanted to put out something as close to a finished design as possible, not just a simple drawing. I've been researching a lot of manufacturing considerations, concerning internals and especially externals of the case.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I know because I could never settle on a design. I was never 100% convinced, so it kept changing. You wouldn't believe the number of Sketchup drafts I have! :)

The other thing is, I wanted to put out something as close to a finished design as possible, not just a simple drawing. I've been researching a lot of manufacturing considerations, concerning internals and especially externals of the case.

Have you seen how many changes the M1 was going through before it reached its final form? Necere basically made five different cases in that process. If you get too close to a finished design, it will be hard to listen to community feedback because you'll have to change a lot more for every good suggestion. Show it, now!

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
I've been doing SFF for quite some time. Even used to write for a couple of SFF sites (One an acronym starting with an L and another having SFF in it's title :p) I used to move around a lot so smaller systems were very helpful :)

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
For me, the LAN-party aspect is a huge thing. I just love the looks on peoples faces when I arrive with public transport or bike with nothing but a shoulderbag and a screen, and then proceed to pull out my mouse, my headphones, my keyboard and then my PC out of that shoulderbag while everyone else is lifting their huge Full ATX cases out of their trunks which don't have any more potent hardware than mine. :D

Also, I have long legs and I like to stretch them under the table, so my regular tower was in the way of that, and I don't have the space to put a regular case on the desk, even the M1 would be too large for my taste in that regard.

Another thing is that SFF is the cheapest way to go extreme in PC building. If you think about it, what are the "extreme" things you can do when you build a PC? Extremely high power, extremely oversized cooling, extremely unconventional looks, all that stuff costs a lot of money. But extremely small is all about doing as much as possible with as little as necessary. The only cheaper extreme premise I can think of for a PC build would be "extremely affordable".

Last but not least is that I love the idea of showing what an atrocity the Xbox One is from a hardware standpoint. That thing is huge, loud, has weak performance and still requires a power brick about as large as my GPU. I was able to build something better than that in a few months, MS worked years on that thing and probably sunk millions of R&D cost into it.

Awesome, what was the case? I want a NES size sys... Silverstone does make a 600 watt SFX now, but are SFXs prone to heat issues? I find cases that are almost three, Element Q (only 1 slot & maybe a bit low for a GPU power concocter)
&-X-Case X301 - Home Media HTPC Case, I would lay it like a desktop (it would have no side vents then & unscrewing the feet might make it npt look good).

Last edited:

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Awesome, what was the case? I want a NES size sys... Silverstone does make a 600 watt SFX now, but are SFXs prone to heat issues? I find cases that are almost three, Element Q (only 1 slot & maybe a bit low for a GPU power concocter)
&-X-Case X301 - Home Media HTPC Case, I would lay it like a desktop (it would have no side vents then & unscrewing the feet might make it npt look good).
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. My next build will be about 30% smaller, though :D
http://www.lian-li.com/en/dt_portfolio/pc-v800/ & it takes a ATX mb @ 14.9606 x 6.2992 x 17.3228.
If you want help on a build, maybe go open a new thread in this forum.
An NES is about 5L. The PC-Q12 I used is 6.7L. The Element Q is 13.5L. The X301 is about 20L. The LianLi case you linked is 26.7L. Just saying.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
I so wish they would make a 2 slot Element q & maybe a bit taller for duel slot GPU power cords...

Dyson Poindexter

If there's empty space, it's too big!
Jun 25, 2015
My SFF passion began with a disdain for large cases. There has been a trend of people running massive cases (900D, anything from CaseLabs) with hardly anything in them. Sorry, but a case that's taller than some schoolchildren having a single video card just looks silly. It's like you're "compensating for something." Don't get me wrong, some people actually need a large case and that's fine. But a giant case with nothing in it just screams "insecurity."

As my hatred grew, I started the see the beauty in compact cases. It takes so much more skill to build in a small case than a giant one. Some of the ingenuity and craftsmanship I have seen throughout the years has been absolutely breathtaking. There's just something about SFF builds that can't be matched when it comes to elegance.

Edward78

Airflow Optimizer
Jun 16, 2015
To me SFF should mean, fits in a backpack with ease... The SG05 does, but it is only mITX, why limit yourself with a board... I mean some people out there want more than a GPU...I love The SG05, but one as wide as a SG01 for mATX would be awesome... Plus all these cases with no ODD bay, what is the obsession?

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Can't really describe my interest as building. I plan to build a small system when I actually have the money to build a new system, but for the moment I just occasionally tinker with old junk, and oogle everyone else's small builds.

I've always been more interested in seeing what people do to cram a PC into whatever they can and/or making something interesting and new moreso than just taking a big case and adding some lights and paint to it (don't get me wrong, they do look good, but 90% of the ATX build logs I see are the same concept with different parts colors).

Dyson's tag line describes my feelings as well.
I like the look of the towerish cases more than the box ones, though. Less. . .boxy? Small is one thing, slim is another, and I like slim.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I'm the same now, unless it's extremely unique I just can't be bothered to care about another ATX build log.

Though I'm starting to feel the same way about SFF builds that aren't a custom case, heavily modded, or just do something unique with parts choice.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
Sometimes the idea of playing with SFF builds, only to end up with a 27"+ monitor seems curious to me - it feels even more absurd when ultrawides or multi-monitor setups are considered. For that reason, I still keep an eye on ATX builds, especially where the enthusiast processors are concerned. The X99E-ITX is an admirable attempt at packing as much as possible into the ITX format, but there are still considerable sacrifices in doing so. Fortunately an excellent mATX SFF option will be available relatively soon. ;)

Regack

Trash Compacter
Sep 11, 2015
For years now I've always had more than one computer. It just makes sense (to me) to keep them small, and get rid of the extra stuff that takes up space. My first small machine that I "needed" to fit in my dorm room was a Shuttle SB75G2. Since then I've owned a Shuttle SG30G2, a Shuttle SH67H3 and built a SilverStone SG05. I gave up internal 5.25" optical drives when I could buy a slim external USB DVD writer. I gave up 3.5" drives when I could get what I needed in 2.5" and SSDs. This year I built two of these little ~6L cubes - one with a GPU for fun, and one with drives mounted in the GPU space. I think I could actually squeeze things a little tighter if I made another revision...

Reactions: confusis

CC Ricers

Shrink Ray Wielder
Bronze Supporter
Nov 1, 2015
I was looking to upgrade to a more current system from my old but good Q6600 CPU and Intel Bad Axe. It was in a mid-tower Chieftec Dragon case, which I still own since 2003. That's when I first discovered Overclock.net and wanted to go all out on my next computer. I was settling on an Asus Z77 ATX board and one of the white NZXT Phantom cases for a cool white and blue theme build.

But then I saw the Bitfenix Prodigy. It was the cool case to have and I had to get it. This was the first time I got into both mini ITX boards and watercooling. Then I decided I wanted something more understated, like the Jonsbo U2 and moved to that, and also got a Dell SFF case for a still in progress modding project. I've recently gotten interested in making a PC in a console-sized case. The Prodigy looks huge in comparison now (at least for mini ITX). While I still like water cooling, turns out I like SFF builds just as much if not more, and didn't really expect to go that route just three years ago.

Reactions: Biowarejak