Closed cabinet - Advice required

ZenZero77

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Dear SSF community, I would like to ask your advice on a new build I’m planning.

I’m set for a Ryzen and I already sourced some of the components via sales/ open box promotions (2x8GB RAM, 256 GB M.2 SSD, CoolerMaster VS550 power supply, Sapphire RX570 Nitro+).

Here’s the catch: the PC will be placed in a closed cabinet (width: 60 cm, depth: 40 cm, height: 33,5 cm). Of course I can open the cabinet’s door in case of heavy loads (e.g. gaming), but 95% of the time the cabinet will stay closed.

In order to keep temperatures in check, I’m planning to undervolt and/ or underclock CPU and GPU if really necessary.

Now the questions are:

1. Which CPU should I select? (I was thinking at the Ryzen 1600 because of the lower base clock vs. the X models)
2. Should I go MATX or MITX in order to improve airflow and temperatures within the case?
3. Which case should I select? (I was thinking Thermaltake Core V1 in case of MITX and Antec ISK600M in case of MATX, since the limited height of the cabinet suggests a cube shape)

Thank you for your suggestion!

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Can you cut a hole in the back of the cabinet for a fan? You can power the fan with your PC using a fan extension cable.

You may find that even under idle loads the cabinet will get warm if it has zero ventilation.

ZenZero77

Minimal Tinkerer
Original poster
May 11, 2017
Ther's a hole in the back of the cabinet for the cables (HDMI & power), I can enlarge it for a fan

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I would recommend using an extension cable like this one:

https://www.scan.co.uk/products/sharkoon-3-pin-30cm-fan-extension-cable-black

Plug it into a spare fan header on your motherboard, and route the other end of the cable through a slot on the back of your case so you can plug a standard PC fan into the outside of the case.

You should try and make the hole big enough to fit at least a 120mm fan, possibly a 140mm or even a 180mm fan if you can make it fit, bigger fan = more airflow at lower noise. Going this route you may not need to open the cabinet when gaming so long as you set the fan curve to ramp up appropriately and keep an eye on temperatures.