Why are you interested in SFF?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Yeah the Prodigy was the first "SFF" case that really got me interested in the topic as well. Just the idea of having a smaller PC that I didn't have to haul around was appealing.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
My first SFF case was the SG33G5 measuring in at 11,5L, the case I had before that one, the ATC-310, was 120L. Those were times...
You young'uns and yer Prodigy cases with all them un-SFF-like space !

Single-slot GPU FTW !

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The Prodigy is monolithic for mITX, but it did turn a lot people on to the possibilities of true SFF sized cases. Bitfenix deserves a lot of credit for that. I think it was a much more honest and inventive effort than the route Corsair has taken. The 380T and 250D feel reactive to that market rather than anticipatory.

The Prodigy is also one of the smallest mITX that allows for comfortable custom loops, especially if it's your first time putting one together. My first custom loop was in the M1.. I would not recommend that to anyone :D.

zillatron

Trash Compacter
Dec 5, 2015
The Prodigy is monolithic for mITX, but it did turn a lot people on to the possibilities of true SFF sized cases.

Couldn't agree more. I picked the Prodigy as my 'comeback' to PC building after going Mac/Console only for about 15 years. I was stunned at how much things have changed and how many options there are now!

The challenge of building into a 'small' case like the Prodigy really re-sparked my interest in SFF PC's...so much so that less than 12 months after finishing (*ahem*) my build I'm well into planning how to shrink it all into a Raijintek Metis :)

Dan

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Couldn't agree more. I picked the Prodigy as my 'comeback' to PC building after going Mac/Console only for about 15 years. I was stunned at how much things have changed and how many options there are now!

The challenge of building into a 'small' case like the Prodigy really re-sparked my interest in SFF PC's...so much so that less than 12 months after finishing (*ahem*) my build I'm well into planning how to shrink it all into a Raijintek Metis :)

Dan

Make sure to post a build log on here once your going through with it!

Welcome to the forum, have a great time! :D

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Even though I have been building computers all my life, it is only recently that I have started modding them. All my cases have been basic store bought generics (a good example is in the background of the second pic). Five years ago, I researched and built a pc for my truck. That's when I learned about ITX form factor. When I saw I was able to stuff a pc in the space of a car amplifier, I was hooked.

Now I don't see a need for large cases for anything below a multidrive file server. Glad I found this forum.

Mal

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
Welcome!

Now I don't see a need for large cases for anything below a multidrive file server.

This. I'm constantly seeing builds on forums, reddit, in person, etc. where there's one video card, one drive, maybe an optical drive, and that's it. Easily doable in Mini-ITX yet almost all I ever see is mid and full tower ATX builds.

Reactions: jtd871

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'm constantly seeing builds on forums, reddit, in person, etc. where there's one video card, one drive, maybe an optical drive, and that's it. Easily doable in Mini-ITX yet almost all I ever see is mid and full tower ATX builds.

But maybe I want to upgrade to triple SLI and a capture card and a PCIe SSD in the future! Gotta keep my options.

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
I've talked to several people with really big cases who have come into the computer store I work at and that's almost always their justification.

Interestingly I've had the chance to talk to a few of them when they were planning their build and then again months later and most of them have regretted their decision because the computer takes up too much space, doesn't fit on top their desk, is a pain to take over to a friend's house, etc.

If only they'd have listened to me :p

Last edited:

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
But maybe I want to upgrade to triple SLI and a capture card and a PCIe SSD in the future! Gotta keep my options.
Pcie SSD is on back of MBs these days. But 3 gpus automatically boots you from the SFF format.

Mal

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Welcome Minimodder ! I've also ventured into car-PC territory with everything set in the shopping basket, only to stop and crap out when it came to the software part. Because I'm not a software developer and am not eager to learn to program, I was very afraid the software would be a major issue which wouldn't be easily fixable. Also, other issues like battery drain, boot-time and many other things pushed me in the direction of a high-end iPod-supporting headunit with good controls. But I must admit, it really intrigued me going down that road.

If only they'd have listened to me :p
I built my nephew's PC (SFF ofcourse), the last time we were at a LAN party with our case in one arm, screen in the other, we were all set. Others chugging away at their monolith-sized behemoths with hardware my NUC would almost laugh at, complaining about how much work it is to move their PC, yada yada. People stuck in their mindset, bigger is better.

Vittra

Airflow Optimizer
May 11, 2015
The best value is in ATX cases and ATX motherboards when you are looking at the value for dollar ratio... and quite frankly I've spoken to several people who simply don't care what the size of their rig is, as it will never move a single inch after being built. It isn't just all ignorant people who think they'll use multiple pci-e slots "sometime in the future".

:D

jeshikat

Original poster
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
That's true and if they put it in something like the NZXT H440 it's still reasonably sized.

FCase

SFF Lingo Aficionado
FCase
Dec 20, 2015
Welcome Minimodder ! I've also ventured into car-PC territory with everything set in the shopping basket, only to stop and crap out when it came to the software part. Because I'm not a software developer and am not eager to learn to program, I was very afraid the software would be a major issue which wouldn't be easily fixable. Also, other issues like battery drain, boot-time and many other things pushed me in the direction of a high-end iPod-supporting headunit with good controls. But I must admit, it really intrigued me going down that road.

I hear ya. The software was the biggest bottleneck to car PCs. They were emerging as smartphones were progressing so everyone wanted them to do what their iphones did. Only they couldn't quite do it the same way as quickly. Now that apple and google are developing for the auto audio aftermarket, the car PC "underground" has fizzled. (Or maybe I have lost interest)

I moved mine into the living room as my HTPC. It allows the wife to experience my hobby and gives me an excuse to build a new rig (or 4). ;)

Mal

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
That was also the problem I had: before the iPhone, we were accustomed to small devices having small buttons, period. Than iOS (or PhoneOS as it was called back then) came along and showed that you could have a touch screen without a pen or the use of unreasonable amount of pressure to register movements, along with an interface that didn't try to mimick Windows 3.1. It spoiled us.

And indeed today we have Android Auto and Apple CarPlay that basically bring the Car PC experience with us without requiring a community-sourced hardware and software solution that isn't able to overcome some (or many) obstacles. But we're not there yet, for the moment it still requires a cable to your phone, but wireless is coming in 2016. And then we'll finally be at the point we wished we were 10 years ago.

Arboreal

King of Cable Management
Silver Supporter
Oct 11, 2015
Just arrived at SFF, and I just love having small but potentially powerful boxes to hand. I do go to a regular LAN party, and being able to grab an ITX rig and tuck it under my arm is perfect.
I must take some pics and post what I have, unique but not spectacular