Who could help me get a custom power button?

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Hey!

My S4 Mini has been pre-ordered and things are really starting to crystallize.

I don't want to spoil anything because I'm pretty excited for the theme/gimmick of my build, but a conventional circular metallic Vandal switch doesn't quite do my theme justice.

Is there anyone here, or anyone else out there I could get in touch with to possibly draft and 3D-print or machine a custom power switch?

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016

I will be waiting to see who I need to contact.

Reactions: zovc

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd personally try contacting @K888D considering their extensive experience with 3D printed custom parts.

Reactions: Soul_Est

h_tylr

Cable Smoosher
Sep 4, 2016
It would take a long time due to work, and fitting it around other projects, but plausibly I could make one. If you want to send over some pictures of sketches or a rough cad model (sketchup or fusion 360 preferably) and ideas on materials, I'd be happy to take a look?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think this kind of depends on what your idea for a power button is and how much assembly work you'd be willing to do yourself. For example, would you be willing to solder something yourself?

But I think with a push-button breakout and two 3D-printed parts, you could make something very interesting easily. If we're talking about 3D printing, I can help you with that :) With milling I could do CAD work but not actually manufacture it.

Reactions: Josh | NFC

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
Thanks for the offers to help, folks. Right now the custom power button is on hold. @Biowarejak has been offering a lot of help regarding some other 3D-printed projects, though!

In my S4 Mini, I'm going to be building a living room HTPC/light gaming rig similar to what @Kmpkt's "Orangulan" build. I'll probably end up getting a typical vandal switch whose LED lines up with the color scheme I gun for.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
If you want a LED Bulgin done, talk to @Josh | NFC as he sells them sleeved and ready to go for what I think is a very reasonable price.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Thanks for the plug, @Kmpkt

If you want something custom, @iFreilicht knows more about this than anyone. You should check out his thread.

I'll just let you know machining (even reproducing) a bulgin switch will cost you hundreds of dollars without the electronics. So know what you are getting into!

Peace

Reactions: zovc

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I'll just let you know machining (even reproducing) a bulgin switch will cost you hundreds of dollars without the electronics. So know what you are getting into!

Unless you know someone personally who will do it for you for a small fee or can do it yourself in a community shop, that is correct.

zovc

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jan 5, 2017
I just meant I might get a switch like one of these, if I'm not going the 3D printed route. I can't see it being feasible for me to justify a machined steel switch or anything like that.