Building a Speaker Enclosure, help

D

DelUser6216

Original poster
It's SFF.

I need help, no not me personally. I'm building a sound system for my laptop project, which is as you'd think small. In order to do that I need to build an enclosure as they are what subwoofers need, tweeters don't need them apparently. I just got a fresh specimen of small Tang Band subwoofer after I broke my last one, the 2'' W2-1625SA model. Big for the bass and small for the SFF, 'nough said.

Let's say GDFR by Flo Rida and 6 Foot 7 Foot by Lil Wayne are my experiment songs. Now for testing the subwoofer. In one situation I pressed it hard against the table by the edges (letting it resonate through the earth) and let it play, and it had good response for the deep frequencies (so it actually is capable of producing bass), but only when doing said mac-gyver. When it's held in the air from my hand there is no response. Another situation is in a crappy particle board hot glue-sealed box with no regard to proper volume size. It made sound when I held it in the air, but there was overexcursion and topping out (too small volume). The important thing here is that there is the same amount of bass from the subwoofer than my 2.1 speakers at the same volume, which means the right amount of sound.

So now what I want is to have an higher-grade airtight sealed enclosure (to conserve space, vented is too big and bass ports are complex) that at the same time fits in my laptop project. The question is what software or method should I design it in and what should I have it made from. I am thinking of 3D printing straight-up, but if anyone has experience in this and custom speaker making I can see other things. Shapeways seems like a good start.

What software/method of design? Where to get it made? I guess this is rhetorical but I like them tips man.

Also a bonus is if someone here on the forum could design it for me in a compatible manner, y'know... that'd be kinda... kinda cool... or even make it and ship it LOLNO wouldn't happen

The hole for the subwoofer has a diameter of 2 1/8'', or 54mm. The sealed volume is 0.01 ft cubed, which will tune the speaker to 236 hz. So that's 17.38 cubic inches. One set of dimensions that will fit 17.38 is an internal 2.5'' x 4.75'' x 1.5'' respectively. So you build a box around that, and build a hole 2.125'' big. Questions can be asked... humble humble if this is what someone would do. I could also utilize the help for further revisions of enclosuring, mmm.

In this image below you can see some space on the left side of my (for the time being) laptop enclosure for the subwoofer. What I said above might have to be more complex to fit the final acrylic/aluminum prototype, but meh. There's the makeshift enclosure I did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: owliwar and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Maybe you know this already but I'll mention it for other people reading the thread too.

For subwoofers, enclosures are key. While this format won't exhibit the same needs, the enclosure robustness is important. Next to having the right dimensions and internal layout (if ported/vented), it's important the enclosure's walls don't allow flexing at all, as it will severely limit the quality and performance.

So wall thickness and adhesive + fastening is important, but it is relative to the speaker power and excursion if I understand correctly. Anyway, for a 250W 8" subwoofer I used 18mm MDF that was glued and nailed. Ofcourse totally unnecessary for an 8W 2" subwoofer, but still consider 9mm MDF that's atleast glued with proper MDF adhesive.

owliwar

Master of Cramming
Lazer3D
Apr 7, 2017
being honest here I used a 3mm mdf for a 5" all around woofer and it was allright ok its a 5w system but anyway

I mean its not perfect but at this size, even 6mm mdf could work for you (my bed is 12mm mdf).
thick foam glued to the internal walls its kinda easy to to and can help with lower volume of the enclosure/ the lower frequencies.

but I double what phuncz said about walls not flexing and glue. also fixing it on the case with the right fixtures is something that will also helps. if you can padding that what holds this subwoofer box inside the case it will help with the vibration

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Maybe a dumb question but if anyone knows: Would a 3d printed enclosure be a decent substitute since this is going in a laptop?

Edit: I’ve never seen one made of plastic is why I’m asking. I know the TC has already mentioned his interest in it.

Reactions: DelUser6216
D

DelUser6216

Original poster
I refresh this forum every half hour so everyday is your lucky day! Here are some sources!

Video, and then another below

Alas, even though I'm not building anymore a straight-up acrylic-built case enclosure for said laptop I will be building a computer (or portable all-in-one with no battery) into possibly a Pelican 1490 suitcase, for the record (a Skyreach 4 Mini with wireless keyboard and lcd controller display will be integrated together with the Pelican). Therefore I will need to finish building a subwoofer enclosure and it can be more flexible/generous inside an off-the-shelf component rather than scrutinized dimensions as such inside my own custom case. So yeah, I'm making another way for other people to possibly make a COTS style case but with the more emphasized 'curves' of a laptop, I'm talking the figurative speaker system and one wire power. Meh. I don't know. I'm like some other people on this forum who have life get in the way...

Reactions: loader963