Log đźš€ Neon Rocket 🦝 - A tiny, powerful, and quiet gaming pc build - 5800X3D + Custom A4000 GPU

sneedster

Trash Compacter
Apr 22, 2022
I don't have hard figures to back it up, but I'd think that this build should comfortably match or beat the gaming performance of the Xbox Series X. Giving you a full fledged Pocket PC powerhouse in a 4L package, no power brick.
I want one so bad right now!
Please combined Crypto sell-off/RTX 40-series anticipation, create a perfect storm that tanks the cost of the used RTX A4000 market!
I think someone replaced Asus rtx 3070 dual heatsink with a heatsink from rtx 3060 phoenix and the thermals were acceptable. probably more cost effective

Reactions: AMv8-1day

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
Those should be M2.5 on the PALIT cooler while the original cooler probably uses M2. For the length you'll have to measure / try. I assume might be 6 or 8mm.
came here to confirm

both PNY and Palit heatsink is identical apart from the shroud

i have PNY heatsink

it is m2.5 since i tried m2 and it was too loose

the length still not sure

a4000 come tomorrow probably 6mm or 8mm like you said

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
in case anyone come here to look about information

if your PNY or Palit heatsink didnt come with mounting screw

you need

m2.5 6mm flathead

like people above me said

less pressure better than cracking the die

for myself i tighten down the screw until i feel friction

(standoff height on A4000 and PNY/Palit Heatsink is the same height)

oasis1991

Average Stuffer
Dec 20, 2021
if OP still want 2 slot all displayport io bracket

contact icemancooler

and tell him to custom make io bracket
2 slot all displayport

reference by using this taobao order id

Reactions: Runamok81

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
I think someone replaced Asus rtx 3070 dual heatsink with a heatsink from rtx 3060 phoenix and the thermals were acceptable. probably more cost effective
Any link to that? I've been trying to find RTX 3070 / 3070ti PCB sizes for different cards but I just couldn't . I wonder if there is small enough card to perform that mod.

Oizon

Trash Compacter
Nov 14, 2020
Have you guys seen this cooler for A4000? Sure it is more DIY looking but it might be more efficient as a cooling solution. Metal backplate and stuff like that. You could also add a better fan or may be even 2? Here is a link to a guys video. He is a miner but you can check out that cooling anyways. I'll also post a link to the original video by cooler creator. He is from china but it's more or less understandable.

Miner guy -
Chinese cooling creator's video -

Reactions: NinoPecorino

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2020
Because the Densium 4 mounting hardware expects a double slot card, and we've only got a single slot PCIe bracket, we will have to make another small tweak. To hold the bracket in place, we had to install and rotate the Densium mounting block and add this black key to help pin the gpu down and keep it from springing up. If anyone knows where to find a double-slot all display port PCIe bracket, please share. I'd like to prevent any more nicks to that heatsink.

if OP still want 2 slot all displayport io bracket

contact icemancooler

and tell him to custom make io bracket
2 slot all displayport

reference by using this taobao order id

Good to know there is someone out there capable of custom making these.

One thing worth noting is that the bracket attachment points are very unique on the A4000...

...vs the design for most GPUs (this particular card is a Quadro M5000)

This would need to be taken into account when having one custom made.

Reactions: Oizon

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
@Runamok81 Any update as to what you landed on for the CPU cooler? Doing a 5800x3D build in a Velka 5 and have to bring my settings to -30 all core, 82/55/83 just to get it under 85c on a Z39. Same motherboard as you.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
@Killinger I have a Thermalright axp90-36 in hand, but just haven't found the NEED to upgrade it yet.

In day-to-day gaming, the noctua L9a can keep a UV'd 5800X3D cool enough. I did tune the fan curve up a little. This isn't scientific, but I feel like actual gaming doesn't produce the same amount of heat as some of those synthetic CPU load tools such as cinebench.

Valantar

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 20, 2018
This isn't scientific, but I feel like actual gaming doesn't produce the same amount of heat as some of those synthetic CPU load tools such as cinebench.
It absolutely doesn't. No game is a constant 100% all-core load. Heck, few games are any kind of constant load whatsoever, and their variability inherently means they produce less heat.

Killinger

Average Stuffer
Jun 25, 2018
Yeah, turns out I either got a bad Z39 or the mounting pressure was off. After switching to the Thermalright, I was able to set PBO2 to -30 and leave the rest untouched and it stayed below 85c during high refresh unlocked fps esports gaming loads. Its so odd, im seeing so many conflicting reports about the Z39, some say its by far the best cooler under 40mm and the rest saying its horrendous. I almost wonder if it just needs an update to better fit AM4/AM5

Reactions: Runamok81

whatanoob

Trash Compacter
Jun 18, 2018
@Runamok81 I'm thinking of doing the Noctua fan mod but I just have one question: How did you go about plugging in the fan? Did you reuse the connector from the old fan by removing the pins, did you just plug it in the motherboard, or did you go with another solution?

morj

Airflow Optimizer
Bronze Supporter
Feb 11, 2020
@Runamok81 I'm thinking of doing the Noctua fan mod but I just have one question: How did you go about plugging in the fan? Did you reuse the connector from the old fan by removing the pins, did you just plug it in the motherboard, or did you go with another solution?

I'm not the person you are asking your question, but I have bought a custom wired Noctua fan (BTW it comes in black) made by overtek UK specifically for this PSU.

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
Hey there, I am also running a 5800X3D, I'm using an AXP90 47mm all copper cooler, which I had opted to use liquid metal with (not the best choice since the cooler plate is pure copper... I wanted to give it the best shot against throttling, but even with PBO Tuner cranked to -30 it still throttles.) Just yesterday I had my first CPU temp related shutdown (The bios stopped on that message to let me know).

Granted, the fan curve was a bit lax this time but it's pretty clear even with this larger cooler that the 5800X3D cannot be kept from throttling from a heavy load. The game I was running was cod mwii. I think all core loads may increase going forward because ray tracing is very CPU heavy.

At idle (not full idle, puttering around on the desktop with a browser open) this CPU is reporting nearly 60C usually. Unfortunately I have forgotten if this is how it used to be or if my thermal solution is degrading. I'll keep an eye on the CPU temps while gaming and see what's going on.

Runamok81

Runner of Moks
Original poster
Jul 27, 2015
troywitthoeft.com
Hey there, I am also running a 5800X3D, I'm using an AXP90 47mm all copper cooler, which I had opted to use liquid metal with (not the best choice since the cooler plate is pure copper... I wanted to give it the best shot against throttling, but even with PBO Tuner cranked to -30 it still throttles.) Just yesterday I had my first CPU temp related shutdown (The bios stopped on that message to let me know).

Granted, the fan curve was a bit lax this time but it's pretty clear even with this larger cooler that the 5800X3D cannot be kept from throttling from a heavy load. The game I was running was cod mwii. I think all core loads may increase going forward because ray tracing is very CPU heavy.

At idle (not full idle, puttering around on the desktop with a browser open) this CPU is reporting nearly 60C usually. Unfortunately I have forgotten if this is how it used to be or if my thermal solution is degrading. I'll keep an eye on the CPU temps while gaming and see what's going on.

Yes, 60C at idle does seem a bit high. For airflow, are you also using a Densium?
Do you follow the PBO2 tuner guide and set to auto start and apply the undervolt?
You can monitor that status with AMD Ryzen Master tool. Maybe try lowering some of the power limits using an undervolting guide?
My idle temps while posting this and plodding around the desktop was about 43-50C.

Last edited:

dc443

Average Stuffer
Jun 4, 2020
I need to rewire my fans a bit since I've got a 40mm fan in addition to the 92mm CPU fan on the CPU header connected via a splitter (which sends through only one of the fans' RPM signals). So right now I have no feedback on the 92mm CPU fan RPM values.

So far it seems okay. It is similar to what I observed in the past, which is that using all -30 curve optimizer settings lets CB23 run at 4300mhz while without the PBO2 Tuner setting the curve optimizer settings, CB throttles at 90C with the clock speed at 4100mhz.

I'm running a Velka 7. At 6 liters this is a huge step forward compared to the 10L cases that use 240mm AIOs. I have found that although 240mm AIO is more capable than a 47mm air cooler, the volume efficiency is just not even close.. The 4 extra liters I gain is well worth losing a bit of cooling capacity.