• Staggered

Votes: 10 66.7%

• Total voters

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I agree, although I'm a sucker for ISO layout:

Except I want to switch almost every non-alphabetic key's normal symbol with the "elevated" symbol. It's stupid that a French-oriented keyboard has to use SHIFT for a question mark and dot, but not for an exclamation mark or the $ sign.

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
It's stupid that a French-oriented keyboard has to use SHIFT for a question mark and dot, but not for an exclamation mark or the $ sign.

We share the AZERTY burden!

But it can be worse: azerty APPLE layout! Whoever thought of alt + shift + ) for a bracket??!! Or alt + shift + L for a pipe! Developers nightmare :(

Reactions: Phuncz

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I agree, although I'm a sucker for ISO layout:

Except I want to switch almost every non-alphabetic key's normal symbol with the "elevated" symbol. It's stupid that a French-oriented keyboard has to use SHIFT for a question mark and dot, but not for an exclamation mark or the $ sign.

We share the AZERTY burden!

But it can be worse: azerty APPLE layout! Whoever thought of alt + shift + ) for a bracket??!! Or alt + shift + L for a pipe! Developers nightmare :(

Hence why I moved to US Intl. Not only it makes more sense as a developer, but it also allow you to input French characters that can't be inputed with a French keyboard: Ç, É, Ù, etc...

robbee

King of Cable Management
n3rdware
Bronze Supporter
Sep 24, 2016
Hence why I moved to US Intl. Not only it makes more sense as a developer, but it also allow you to input French characters that can't be inputed with a French keyboard: Ç, É, Ù, etc...

If only my wife would agree :D

PNP

Airflow Optimizer
Oct 10, 2015
I see all these heathens posting their deviant ANSI bigger-at-the-bottom enter keys. Behold the One True Carriage-Return!

I like the 1800 layout, but this is still TECHNO-HERESY. From whence did you acquire the warp corrupted STGs required to construct this monstrosity, you fiend?!!

Wait. There are French characters that can't be produced with a French keyboard?

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hence why I moved to US Intl.

Yes, US International is absolutely superb. It's also a very good base layout if you have a programmable keyboard and want to modify the layout completely. I think there's almost no letter/sign you can type with a keyboard that couldn't be typed on US International. Even more-so on linux, as that adds additional dead keys.

Very good resource on the powers of US-Intl: http://dry.sailingissues.com/us-international-keyboard-layout.html

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
Wait. There are French characters that can't be produced with a French keyboard?

Yes, basically most upper case accented characters, as well as upper case cedillas.

French keyboard uses dedicated keys for é, è, à, ù, ç, which can't be upper cased. Other accents are composed with dead keys and can be upper cased: ï, î, ö, ô, Ï, Î, Ö, Ô, etc.

Accented upper case letters being an issue with old school Gutenberg print (E, and É having the same overall height ... Thus accented one has a less tall E), accented letters where not used ... And thus non-accented capital letter are tolerated since you can't input them. But that is still not correct. Everything is explained here: http://www.orthotypographie.fr/volume-I/academie-accentuation.html#Accentuation