Power Supply FLEX PSU from Alibaba

aromachi

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Dec 18, 2019
Hello SFF network. Just sharing my experience buying a PSU from Alibaba.

I purchased one of these for a custom SFF project I'm working on. I've been looking around for a cheap FLEX psu for prototyping my designs, so I picked one of these up on Alibaba. I picked the slowest shipping method, as I was in no rush to get it. 5 days later they tell me I need to pick a different shipping method and they asked me for another $16 bucks, putting the total cost to $72. 5 days later they ship it out. I receive it and I'm instantly confused because it's fully modular and the input/output values on the sticker vary slightly from the online description. I contact the seller to make sure everything is kosher and he confirms that, yes it will run on USA's 120v sockets and all PSUs above 350w are fully modular.

I plugged everything in and.. nothing. I checked all connections over and over again. I cleared CMOS, took out graphics card, lots and lots of troubleshooting. I short circuited the PSU and it ran fine, which I know isn't a definitive test, but it seemed weird to me (and the seller) that the PSU appeared to work but my system would not turn on.

The refund process on Alibaba was easy and I got my money back pretty quickly. I reboxed the PSU, thinking they might want it returned, but they didn't. I'm willing to send it to someone if you want to troubleshoot it and see if you can get it working. I think $15 would cover shipping and the 10 minute drive to the post office. Just PM me if you want it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phuncz