Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
I've seen both 3gb and 6gb mini itx cards from the following:

-Zotac
-Gigabyte
-EVGA
-MSI

Pcpartpicker has the PNY 6gb XLR8 Gaming OC at 173mm long in a dual fan set-up, which would be pretty nice, however PNY's site lists it as 9.17" (233mm) so I think pcpartpicker is inaccurate.

What I've read is that the Zotacs and the non-"SC" EVGAs have a heatsink that doesn't cover some of the components (VRM?) so they should be avoided.

Purely personal opinion, but I'm not a fan of the gigabyte's appearance, and the fan looks a lot smaller than the EVGA and MSI competitors. In a completely non fact based assumption I'm guessing the MSI (Aero, not OCV1) and EVGA (SC) will provide better cooling. Feel free to provide actual facts on this anyone :).

So from what I can tell comes down to the MSI AERO, and EVGA SC versions. Both have a 3 year warranty, however EVGA's warranty is transferrable and applies from the date THEY shipped it (not purchase date). That's pretty cool since if you can find one for sale used (and in Canada skip the tax) you'll still get 2+ years warranty while saving some money.

Is there any info on which will cool better between the MSI and EVGA? Or is it just a matter of brand loyalty and/or which you prefer aesthetically?

Thoughts appreciated :)

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
EVGA 1060
MSI AERO 1060

EVGA clocks better but gets hotter, MSI is newer so fewer people on SFF Forum have one and it is quieter...

6gb versions tend to have better heatsinks, price difference is minimal, and will have better resale potential.

I agree with your choice of these two 1060s over other AIBs and if I had to make a decision this very moment I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶u̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶0̶7̶0̶ :p jk...I would buy the MSI because of the zero fan idle operation. GL but whichever you decide will be a good choice.

Reactions: BeerNsoup

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
EVGA 1060
MSI AERO 1060

EVGA clocks better but gets hotter, MSI is newer so fewer people on SFF Forum have one and it is quieter...

6gb versions tend to have better heatsinks, price difference is minimal, and will have better resale potential.

I agree with your choice of these two 1060s over other AIBs and if I had to make a decision this very moment I̶ ̶w̶o̶u̶l̶d̶ ̶b̶u̶y̶ ̶a̶ ̶1̶0̶7̶0̶ :p jk...I would buy the MSI because of the zero fan idle operation. GL but whichever you decide will be a good choice.

Thanks for your reply! I kind of prefer the look of the Aero as well, but the transferable warranty on the EVGA might mean I can find a deal on a used one and feel safe with it.

I have a friend telling me just to step up to the 1070 as well lol. What's making me hesitate to do so is:

-Extra power requirement. I'll be making an s3/s4 mini style case and haven't yet decided on my PSU solution yet.

-For now I'll just be doing 1080p. While the 60 series is generally budget gaming, I feel like since the 1060s are on par with 980s in performance this is a generation where getting a 1060 "budget" card is a much smarter buy than in most generations.

-I live in Canada. Prices are $250ish for the 3GB 1060, $300-$330 for a 6GB 1060, and $500+ for a 1070. Then add 13% tax!! A 1070 is almost twice the price. That's a pretty big step. Factoring that in, I'm probably better getting a 1060 and if I need more GPU power at a later date buying a yet to be released itx sized gpu with the $250-300 saved by going 1060vs1070 to put towards it.

GreatestUnKnown

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 30, 2016
Ouch that Canadian US conversion is pretty painful and tax to boot...sorey. I didn't mean to suggest you need a 1070, just vocalizing my own dilemma of choosing a GPU.

The 1060 would be plug and play for most S4 builds and I am also only using a 1080p monitor which is a perfect fit.

I know I am purchasing a new monitor very shortly after finishing my own build so I battled with saving money now or bite the bullet and plan ahead.

Your plan/budget logic seems sound. I would also suggest checking out EVGAs B-Stock GPUs of you want the 3gb 1060.

BeerNsoup

Cable-Tie Ninja
Original poster
Mar 12, 2017
Yeah being in Canada makes the price difference in stepping up to a 1070 much bigger. I know the "wait for the next gen" path can lead to never buying what you want lol, but in this case I think the 1060 will do what I need and if I want an upgrade I should wait to do so when I actually have a display that supports greater than 1080p :)

Reactions: Soul_Est

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
I have the same Inno3D GTX 1060.

I picked it up as it was the only 1060 with a single slot IO. Pretty cheap too.

No VRM heatsink, pretty light heatsink made of aluminium. But you can replace it without voiding your warranty :)

Sicaris

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Dec 6, 2016
That's odd, all the images I have found online show it with the DVI in the second slot like all the other 1060s out there. Also any recommendations for a US retailer?

aquelito

King of Cable Management
Piccolo PC
Feb 16, 2016
Single slot IO Innod3D GTX 1060 reference : N1060-4DDN-N5GM

It's weird, it has been removed from Inno3D website...

Last edited:

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
-For now I'll just be doing 1080p. While the 60 series is generally budget gaming, I feel like since the 1060s are on par with 980s in performance this is a generation where getting a 1060 "budget" card is a much smarter buy than in most generations.

I have a 1070 and I mostly do 1080p and I can honestly say it's overkill. The 1060 is comparable to a 980 from last gen and even the 980 is able to squeak out some 1440p gaming. (No experience with the 1060 but I would assume it can too.)

I can't say for how long the 1060 will be playing AAA games on Ultra at 1080p 144hz, but you should stay comfortably around 60fps for a long time.

Reactions: Smallform Gaming