Cooling Which cooler to choose for AM4: Noctua NH-L9i or L9a?

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
In the past it was easy. If you used Intel CPUs/Sockets, you chose the NH-L9i. If you had AMD, you chose the L9a.

But now Noctua confuses me, with their upgrade package: http://noctua.at/en/noctua-offers-free-am4-upgrade-kit-for-nh-l9a-and-nh-l9i-low-profile-coolers

It seems like it suddenly is possible to mount either a L9i OR L9a onto AM4 with this new bracket. First of all I don't understand how that is possible. Second of all, if I own neither of the coolers at the moment, which one should I go for?

Will the new AM4-bracket make the cooler taller than before?

Planning on using an NH-L9x with AM4 ITX-mobo in a case with about 4 cm clearance.

VegetableStu

Shrink Ray Wielder
Aug 18, 2016
There's a NH-L9x64 so I'm not sure which you're wanting to use. <- that uses the NM-AM4 adapter some other higher-end noctua coolers use.

If you're referring to the lower profile L9i or L9a, get the cheaper one for sale and request the adapter. they're both identical above the feet. they both share the same feet adapter mounts.

EDIT: didn't do enough research. they're shaped differently ( /)_(\
play it safe and go for the L9a, but you can try using the L9i as well, but you have to check for component height clearance on the motherboard before you commit to it

Last edited:
Reactions: Mortis Angelus

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
EDIT: didn't do enough research. they're shaped differently ( /)_(\
play it safe and go for the L9a, but you can try using the L9i as well, but you have to check for component height clearance on the motherboard before you commit to it

Meh... Seems like I might have to consult Noctua regarding this.. Thanks for the great info, though!

Jonny727272

Airflow Optimizer
Feb 26, 2017
I was confused at first too but I went with L9a because it is the one for AMD but also because it has a greater volume and mass which should equate to better cooling.

Reactions: VegetableStu

Mortis Angelus

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 22, 2017
I was confused at first too but I went with L9a because it is the one for AMD but also because it has a greater volume and mass which should equate to better cooling.

Tech Everything on YouTube just ordered a L9a. He is going to test if there is any difference between the L9i and L9a in terms of cooling. So we'll just have to wait and see. :D

Reactions: VegetableStu