Where to get a custom radiator?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Nice! How are you sealing in the copper tubes? Are you going to pressure and leak test??

Since I got the tubes from the Hobby Lobby behind my neighborhood they're actually brass, but if I invested a little more I could have ordered some copper off of Amazon. I'm not worried about corrosion, seeing as brass is a copper alloy.

That said, they are going to be sealed with epoxy, and I hope to create some aluminum fins that will be stuck on with thermal adhesive after I cut them out of the sheet with tin-snips and drill the holes. I already have a template made up for that.

I'd like to do some actual testing with it yes :) I just did a simple leak test with my water faucet, didn't seem like much leakage occurred with a simple pressure seal.

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Update: Alphacool got back to me, a custom radiator would cost me upwards of $15000. Looks like I'll get to make it myself!

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
I swear @Biowarejak is a wizard.

Are you sure you couldn't just fabricate a custom bracket for the alphacool cooler @R3venger linked? I've seen people do that in order to mount radiators where no radiator has gone before.

Edit: But I am very interested to hear how Jak's cooler works out.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Hey y'all! Sorry I was sleeping >.<
Would silicone be better for sealing? To account for thermal expansion of brass/copper.

It might be! I'll give that a shot first. Hopefully it'll look clean.

This looks really well made! Are you going to do testing with and without fins?

Thank you! Yes I'd be happy to do that. Cutting them out is going to be a pretty manual process but I want to see the performance difference also.

Hermit2001

Trash Compacter
Apr 26, 2016
Since I got the tubes from the Hobby Lobby behind my neighborhood they're actually brass, but if I invested a little more I could have ordered some copper off of Amazon. I'm not worried about corrosion, seeing as brass is a copper alloy.

That said, they are going to be sealed with epoxy, and I hope to create some aluminum fins that will be stuck on with thermal adhesive after I cut them out of the sheet with tin-snips and drill the holes. I already have a template made up for that.

I'd like to do some actual testing with it yes :) I just did a simple leak test with my water faucet, didn't seem like much leakage occurred with a simple pressure seal.
Nice, I think household pressure usually runs at from about 4bar to maybe 8bar. More than enough for a cooling loop.

I second the silicone sealing idea. Alternatively, something like 'liquid electrical tape' perhaps.

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Technically if you had soft enough household water you could hook your custom loop up to the cold water line.

Not that you really should... :)

Reactions: Hermit2001

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017

Are you sure you couldn't just fabricate a custom bracket for the alphacool cooler @R3venger linked? I've seen people do that in order to mount radiators where no radiator has gone before.

I take that as a high compliment :p theoretically I could make that radiator too for substantially less.

Does anyone know a good way to do cpu stress testing on a t series SKU?

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017

No, a bracket can't change the shape of the rad. Good idea though.

https://i.gyazo.com/62d3671173731fb55cb0cd083478845b.png

I take that as a high compliment :p theoretically I could make that radiator too for substantially less.

Does anyone know a good way to do cpu stress testing on a t series SKU?

Test it like a normal CPU? Or is it one of those CPUs that throttle at like 5W?

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It's a 6400t so it should be fine, I'll look for a Prime 95 release that won't destroy it, unless someone has one handy.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I was working on getting the fins done earlier and hit a snag, but I'll keep you all posted as for the results. I think this is gonna be awesome.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Just do your research on them first @Fireside :) but thanks! And yeah, maybe I should put something in my bio about being able to take print-requests at a reasonable rate. I've saved so much money with this over Shapeways.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So I managed to get a few fins worked out, though they don't look super nice. Doing it largely by hand or with the definitely wrong tool is probably why. I got the hole diameter correct though, so I'll look for a prettier way of doing things.

froyo

Minimal Tinkerer
Mar 1, 2017
So I managed to get a few fins worked out, though they don't look super nice. Doing it largely by hand or with the definitely wrong tool is probably why. I got the hole diameter correct though, so I'll look for a prettier way of doing things.

I'm really curious as to whether you're punching through the fin, allowing a fold of the material to increase surface contact with the heat pipe. This was my main concern with making a custom heatsink. Also, if you're not, I'm really curious about the radiator's performance. Do you have any temperature sensors?

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

zovc

King of Cable Management
Jan 5, 2017
The best 'manual' way to do it I can think of--assuming you have the tools--would be to cut and stack plates, then use a drill press or a jig to drill all the plates uniformly at once. Probably with a lot of lubricant/cutting fluid.