Where to get a custom radiator?

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It's an AC to DC adapter with 3-12 volt adjustable voltage and a max amperage of 1.5 haha.

Sorry I just remembered a review for a water pump I read on Amazon, the person snipped the connector and plugged it right in the wall because they weren't too bright x) darn thing exploded or something

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
It's an AC to DC adapter with 3-12 volt adjustable voltage and a max amperage of 1.5 haha.

Sorry I just remembered a review for a water pump I read on Amazon, the person snipped the connector and plugged it right in the wall because they weren't too bright x) darn thing exploded or something

People will never fail to surprise me rofl

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Alright sorry guys, I work afternoons and sleep mornings so I haven't had a whole lot of time to get back to this. I got the rad sealed but in my next iteration, whatever size it is, I'm building endstops for the pipes. I slid them a bit too far and the silicone putty set quickly, so now I can't really screw in the frame... *Long sigh*

In other news, I realized my prime95 strategy was flawed! I didn't have my side panels on... :p silly me.

Redoing my normal radiator test now. Worth noting my CPU block is some random $25 piece off Amazon, but my max temp so far is <=45° C

Reactions: SeñorDonut

SeñorDonut

the
Original poster
Mar 6, 2017
Alright sorry guys, I work afternoons and sleep mornings so I haven't had a whole lot of time to get back to this. I got the rad sealed but in my next iteration, whatever size it is, I'm building endstops for the pipes. I slid them a bit too far and the silicone putty set quickly, so now I can't really screw in the frame... *Long sigh*

In other news, I realized my prime95 strategy was flawed! I didn't have my side panels on... :p silly me.

Redoing my normal radiator test now. Worth noting my CPU block is some random $25 piece off Amazon, but my max temp so far is <=45° C

Awh, we all make mistakes :p The fact that your temps are under 45C is pretty impressive!

Reactions: Biowarejak

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
It's with a 6400t though :) and a dual 120mm rad from XSPC with 3000rpm Noctua Industrial IPC fans. Just wanted to establish a best case scenario since my stock fan is noisy AF and I don't want to use it again x) maybe it's worth doing. I'll update that post with my clock speed because it's higher than base.

Reactions: Fireside

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
So I got the tubing cut and the radiator hooked up, started filling the loop and quickly noticed I had a leak in the rad >.< Not unfixable, just annoying. I'll be more generous with the silicone putty this time, harmful vapors be damned!

-Edit-

Might've gotten water in the PSU. It was powered off and unplugged at the time, but still concerning

Fireside

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
Might've gotten water in the PSU. It was powered off and unplugged at the time, but still concerning
Be careful. Just because it was unplugged does not mean it was powered down. A PSU has capacitors that hold a nasty amount of voltage even when unplugged. It may be damaged, and more importantly it could shock you very badly.

Fireside

Caliper Novice
Mar 25, 2017
A good rule of thumb when working with any kind of dangerous current is always keep one hand behind your back, helping to ensure you don't inadvertently complete a circuit. You should be okay, just try to be sure its dried out. Typically the metal case of the PSU wouldn't be able to shock you, but water puts it in contact with things it shouldn't.

Also I may come across as paranoid, but I'd have something prepared in case it catches fire. Seems pretty unlikely in this situation, but PSU's have proven me wrong before lol.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Your advice is noted and your concern appreciated :p let's see how this goes...

-EDIT-

Not dead! And neither is the PSU! Gotta be more careful with my pump though...

Reactions: Fireside

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Thanks! After I get some brackets printed off for @zovc I'll redo the radiator bits, figure I better do it right than risk another leak

Reactions: zovc

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
After a quick redesign and a brief spill, I eventually realized something. To confirm my theory about the leaks I interrogated my fittings, finding them faultless, and then filled the rad and increased the pressure using the ol' lungs.

Turns out that 3D prints aren't completely watertight using FDM methods. I'll try again with more infill.

Reactions: SeñorDonut

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
Ohhh interesting! I'd seen something similar for making transparent filament look more like glass.

Biowarejak

Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
I'll be sure to do keep y'all in the loop. I just printed the parts with solid infill so we'll see how that goes first.