Votes: 1 2.6%
  • TFX

Votes: 3 7.7%

• Total voters

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
What sort of dimensions are we talking about with "high power"? The strongest 150mm long FlexATX PSU is 500W strong. You can build a pretty dope system with that, but if you want two graphics cards, SFX-L might be the better choice.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
ATX for ATX builds and SFX for m-itx builds.
Its alot easier to use a small psu in a small case. I have 3 ATX PSU and 6 SFX psus.
If HDPlex becomes popular, I might switch

After carrying a notebook around for more than a month, I've changed my mind on HDPLEX or anything that requires a dc adapter.
Unless you mount the adapter inside the case, It's too much of a hassle lugging a power brick around and struggling with the tangled cables.
FlexATX would be my next choice

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
The questions asks what is your preferred PSU 'Form Factor' - my preferred form factor would be Flex ATX because of the small dimensions and the price/performance ratio. Going with an HDPlex and a huge brick is going to cost you $150-170. I think there is a large appetite for a Flex ATX PSU that could accept an 80mm fan and was modular at around 400-450W.

Josh | NFC

Not From Concentrate
NFC Systems
Jun 12, 2015
www.nfc-systems.com
Really depends on the wattage need. I would much prefer a Pico and a small brick for a system with a 100w TDP, which is quite realistic for my day to day needs, than a SFX or FLex PSU that is 100w. At 600w then yeah, I'm going with SFX/SFX-L
My 1/2c.

GuilleAcoustic

Chief Procrastination Officer
SFFn Staff
LOSIAS
Jun 29, 2015
guilleacoustic.wordpress.com
I have severe tinnitus in both ears, so small high speed fans are a no go. It leaves me with SFX-L, ATX or passive (AC-DC or DC-DC + power brick).

250W HDPlex + power brick is what I'd like and tangled cable is easy to avoid with a cable tie

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
I think there is a large appetite for a Flex ATX PSU that could accept an 80mm fan and was modular at around 400-450W.

Modularity for FlexATX would be wonderful. Unfortunately, the connector itself takes up so much space inside the PSU, it's really hard to make it work if you're limited to 150mm. Seasonic actually makes a 190mm one with really proprietary connectors, called SS-350M1U.

The problem with an 80mm fan is that you can't make it an option. Either the PSU comes with a 40mm fan or with an 80mm fan, and if you go for the latter, you might as well use TFX.

lordzahl

Trash Compacter
Feb 7, 2016
Hi,
I have just recently bought the Seasonic SSP 300 SUG. I don't know if i would really call it a modular PSU, but the cable can be detached and it is a flex ATX PSU with 150mm length. It is also gold rated and a rather new design with 12V DCDC conversion. I haven't had time to test it much yet, but it doesn't seem to be too noisy. That being sad, i could not test it under any real load, yet. But low noise in an almost idle state is more important for me anyway.

At the moment it is a real problem, that the cables are super stiff and difficult to bend. Especially at the 24 pin Motherboard connector. Does anybody have a tip for bending them easily?

Reactions: iFreilicht

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
At the moment it is a real problem, that the cables are super stiff and difficult to bend. Especially at the 24 pin Motherboard connector. Does anybody have a tip for bending them easily?

lay them on a warm radiator. heat makes the metal and plastic more flexible. Don't go too hot though, if you have very hot radiators you can put a towel underneath.
Not a permanent solution, but it might be of use for you.

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
It really depends on I'm building. If it's a personal rig, I would go fully modular with either one or two DC-DC power supplies. Why? To allow the system to grow while keeping the overall size low. To start off, I may get this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/HKHxhM which will consume ~175W including drives. After a couple upgrades, I may end up with this: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/4BcfK8 which will ~275W including drives.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Modularity for FlexATX would be wonderful. Unfortunately, the connector itself takes up so much space inside the PSU, it's really hard to make it work if you're limited to 150mm. Seasonic actually makes a 190mm one with really proprietary connectors, called SS-350M1U.

The problem with an 80mm fan is that you can't make it an option. Either the PSU comes with a 40mm fan or with an 80mm fan, and if you go for the latter, you might as well use TFX.

I am actually considering going with a similar unit, the Seasonic SS-500L1U Industrial Power Supply. It is modular in the same sense that the SS-350M1U is, but it has more connectors. It is longer than the average 1U unit (235mm) but I can fit that in my build without issue. The cables aren't truly modular but it is much easier to mod those cables than cables soldered to the PSU main board.

The other advantages are 500w for $100~ from Newegg and it ran silently until 400W in the Johnny guru tests. (See list above, Page 2).

If I do pick it, hopefully I won't even need to mod the PSU with silent operation up to 400w, but if I did need to I'd just chop a hole or two in the top and hook up some larger fans to cool the internails vs the 40mm fan - looking to remove that fan and then chop the roof to utilize the 20 mm+ of space I'd have vs an SFX to make it work.

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
Hi,
I have just recently bought the Seasonic SSP 300 SUG. I don't know if i would really call it a modular PSU, but the cable can be detached and it is a flex ATX PSU with 150mm length. It is also gold rated and a rather new design with 12V DCDC conversion. I haven't had time to test it much yet, but it doesn't seem to be too noisy. That being sad, i could not test it under any real load, yet. But low noise in an almost idle state is more important for me anyway.

What a great PSU, I love the way they placed the "modular" connector on this! This needs to be on the Wiki.

If I do pick it, hopefully I won't even need to mod the PSU with silent operation up to 400w, but if I did need to I'd just chop a hole or two in the top and hook up some larger fans to cool the internails vs the 40mm fan - looking to remove that fan and then chop the roof to utilize the 20 mm+ of space I'd have vs an SFX to make it work.

Jup that will easily work, did the same thing for Freilite Alpha. You might consider using a resistor to let the fans spin at a lower RPM if they still get too loud. Two 80mm fans don't need to run at 100% if the PSU gets hot.

Ceros_X

King of Cable Management
Mar 8, 2016
Jup that will easily work, did the same thing for Freilite Alpha. You might consider using a resistor to let the fans spin at a lower RPM if they still get too loud. Two 80mm fans don't need to run at 100% if the PSU gets hot.

Yep, I learned from the best :V

Reactions: iFreilicht