confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Just had a random thought - what's the community's favourite type of PSU.. and why.. Feel free to vote in the poll and post why you like that option over the others!

Reactions: Josh | NFC

Blorgon

Caliper Novice
Jan 15, 2016
ddejohn.bandcamp.com
HDPlex because it's the best of both the "pico" and the higher power PSU worlds. Modular ATX connectors but relatively tiny; enough juice for an i7/970 combo with a thoughtful layout, but nearly passive...

Reactions: confusis

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
It's a great design. One day i'd like to see something similar but designed and mounted in a (thick) 2.5" form factor :)

Reactions: Blorgon

mitxlove

Average Stuffer
Jan 7, 2016
I like sfx for obvious reasons in a mitx enclosure.. gives more room than a standard atx! And in my opinion feels more reliable than a Pico psu. I like the 300w Silverstone sfx, it even comes with an adapter to fit into atx fittings, heck yeah

Reactions: confusis

BirdofPrey

Standards Guru
Sep 3, 2015
Just one type? I have uses for multiple types.

In general I prefer SFX over ATX, since we've gotten to the point an SFX can power pretty much any mid to upper mid range systems, the only remaining use for ATX really is only the crazy rigs with multiple GPUs and CPUs.

When it comes to smaller rigs, though, I prefer the PicoPSU, since it minimizes both the space taken up, and reduces cabling by quite a bit which can be just as critical. I would prefer to pair it with an internal AC-DC converter, though, but can't find many good models outside HDPlex's offerings. I do wish they could cram just a BIT more wattage on them, though so higher power rigs don't have to turn to the HDPlex and all the extra wires that means.

Flex ATX is a solid choice for a decent middle ground: smaller than SFX, but still a single, easy to use, standards compliant box, and with 4 and 500 Watt units starting to appear on the market, may be a suitable replacement for SFX.

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
SFX(L) & TFX for their noise profile & availability & variety, FlexATX & 1u where size & lots to power is a thing, pico & HDplex where size, noise and / or portability is a thing

iFreilicht

FlexATX Authority
Feb 28, 2015
freilite.com
FlexATX Masterrace!
  • Smaller than ATX, SFX , TFX or 1U
  • Enough power for pretty much any ITX Single-GPU system
  • Takes up about as much space as an external brick, but is internal
  • Only 41mm tall, allow very slim case designs.
  • Moddable to use 80mm Fan when acoustics are a concern, so more flexible than TFX
  • Integrated Auditive Load Feedback ;)
The trick for good acoustics with FlexATX is either the 80mm fan mod or using a highly overspecced PSU. Other than that, it's the best of all the formfactors.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Thanks for your votes guys :) good to see ATX is being ignored!

QinX

Master of Cramming
kees
Mar 2, 2015
I voted HDPlex, but technically I'm about the onboard DC-DC like Thin ITX, NUC and mSTX. PicoPSU is what would come closest to that for normal systems, But I like the HDPlex for that voltage range versatility.

jeshikat

Jessica. Wayward SFF.n Founder
Silver Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
SFX-L!

Sure it's the biggest of the SFF power supplies but my hope is it becomes the standard and ATX is reserved for when someone is building a completely overkill system, like quad-SLI or something.

confusis

Original poster
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
Well, with the 700w Silverstone SFX-L due later this year, even most high end systems won't need ATX - even dual Fury X and a FX-8350 would fit in under 700w!

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
I wonder if the 700W SFX-L will have a 12V rail with at least 50A so it would be able to support cards like the R9 295X2.

Lone

King of Cable Management
Lone Industries
Feb 25, 2015
loneindustries.com
I voted PicoPSU of course! ;) HDPLEX has also mentioned on their forum that they're planning to release a PicoPSU-like power supply. However, when it comes to larger, more power hungry systems, I would prefer an SFX/ATX PSU.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
This is a pre-production unit so grain of salt and all that but it looks like all 700W will be available on the 12V: http://static.tweakers.net/ext/f/8jV5XC5EnMGyVxHtvrcObFrK/full.jpg

I also voted for SFX-L, as it is the smallest format I know that allows 500W+ and silent operation without weird stuff happening.
Or without needing (multiple) external bricks *jab jab*

I still like products like the PicoPSU and TFX, they have their merit but they are limited.

PlayfulPhoenix

Founder of SFF.N
SFFLAB
Chimera Industries
Gold Supporter
Feb 22, 2015
My vote is for SFX, if only because it's small enough to work with most SFF enclosures (down to ~5L, at least), but large enough to provide as much as 600W presently - enough juice for a maxed-out single-GPU rig, and even some dual-GPU configurations. This, with the same conveniences like modularity that gargantuan ATX power supplies provide!

Short of desktops with 3-4 graphics cards, I don't really see the need for ATX power supplies in the majority of systems today, actually (especially when you consider SFX-L, which will go as high as 700W in just a few months). Which is a pretty big deal, since ATX power supplies are easily the largest stumbling block when it comes to designing space-efficient enclosures.

NFSxperts

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Aug 7, 2015
ATX for ATX builds and SFX for m-itx builds.
Its alot easier to use a small psu in a small case. I have 3 ATX PSU and 6 SFX psus.
If HDPlex becomes popular, I might switch

Stevo_

Master of Cramming
Jul 2, 2015
Voted HD-Plex as it is what I have but could also go for Pico but have the 330W Dell brick that power whatever I need right now. The lack of panel connectors for 19V is a bit of a PITA against the Plex stuff. Interested to see what HD Plex comes up with for a Pico style supply.

skukza

Trash Compacter
Aug 15, 2015
I think Flex-ATX is a great form factor for ITX mini servers etc but for a gaming build there dont seem to be any good PSUs in that form factor for high power builds.