Motherboard What stx motherboard?

hemmigumm

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
So, I'm going to be building a tiny system, but to summarise my question, what STX motherboard can support a graphics card and what are the ways of connecting one, some sort of m.2 slots that can adapt to PCI-E, I haven't dug enough into the details myself.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
Hi,

Fist off How much will you be able to pay? Yes you convert m.2 to pcie and you can see that here. On the other hand, if you are willing to put more money you could use ASRocks Micro STX boards. What components do you plan on using?

hemmigumm

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Hi,

Fist off How much will you be able to pay? Yes you convert m.2 to pcie and you can see that here. On the other hand, if you are willing to put more money you could use ASRocks Micro STX boards. What components do you plan on using?

H110M-STX motherboard is what I was thinking about, money isn't really the biggest problem, I plan on using a 1070 maybe 1060 if power will be a problem, I think that build log you sent me is exactly what I needed, but what are the options you had in mind?

Overtek

Airflow Optimizer
OVERTEK
Gold Supporter
May 22, 2017
www.overtek.co.uk
Probably any with an M.2 slot, but at best that limits you to PCI-E x4.
If you want to use an x16 graphics card, then you're probably best not putting yourself on the back foot straight away by considering a form factor with limited model availability in the market and in general no native true support for PCI-E x16 graphics cards.

Its target market is more like that of NUC for digitial signage and similiar or for just bolting on to a VESA plate behind a display.

In short if your happy with onboard graphics go for it. if not, forget it.

In days gone by I always like the PC/104 concept of stackable expansion.

its still a form factor that continues and now with x16 included, but generally you'll only find it used in a few industrial and mostly defense based applicaitons. http://pc104.org/

Reactions: AleksandarK

hemmigumm

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Jan 10, 2017
Probably any with an M.2 slot, but at best that limits you to PCI-E x4.
If you want to use an x16 graphics card, then you're probably best not putting yourself on the back foot straight away by considering a form factor with limited model availability in the market and in general no native true support for PCI-E x16 graphics cards.

Its target market is more like that of NUC for digitial signage and similiar or for just bolting on to a VESA plate behind a display.

In short if your happy with onboard graphics go for it. if not, forget it.

In days gone by I always like the PC/104 concept of stackable expansion.

its still a form factor that continues and now with x16 included, but generally you'll only find it used in a few industrial and mostly defense based applicaitons. http://pc104.org/
Yeah I have a feeling I will just end up using a mini itx mobo. Thanks for the details.

AleksandarK

/dev/null
May 14, 2017
I was thinking of buying that too, I am planing a bug project with this so that means I'm making my own case, but can I convert the mxm slot to pcie? If so, would it be 16x?
Saw a few converters, but are not available. If upgradebility conserns you, upgrade kits will be available.