What is the best way to power the asrock h110m-stx and a GTX 1080 all with one PSU

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
You realize that the STX motherboards don't have PCIe expansion slots, right? If you're that much a noob (nothing wrong with it, we all were), I'd strongly suggest building mITX first and maybe jumping down the STX rabbit-hole later on.

Reactions: wheatley

wheatley

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
You realize that the STX motherboards don't have PCIe expansion slots, right? If you're that much a noob (nothing wrong with it, we all were), I'd strongly suggest building mITX first and maybe jumping down the STX rabbit-hole later on.
Yes! I know that I know that. I would have to use the m.2 ultra -> PCIe x 4 -> PCIe x 16 with (P4SM2) the http://www.hwtools.net/ExtenderBoard/P4SM2.html
But what is the best way to power both the riser and the mother board and the 1080 (with an external PSU)

Last edited:
Reactions: Biowarejak

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
You have to split the 19V correctly to power both the Mini STX board as well as a converter from 19V to 12V that can power a GPU. It requires a reasonably advanced knowledge of electronics to do this properly. I tried it a couple of years ago without said knowledge and completely fried a Gigabyte Brix and a 750ti.

wheatley

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
You have to split the 19V correctly to power both the Mini STX board as well as a converter from 19V to 12V that can power a GPU. It requires a reasonably advanced knowledge of electronics to do this properly. I tried it a couple of years ago without said knowledge and completely fried a Gigabyte Brix and a 750ti.

How will the DC-DC board fix this problem? Will it have a splitter built in? Do you have pictures of the prototype?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
It essentially works as a splitter. One portion of the board will take a 16-24V input and convert it to a 4pin SATA header and two 8pin PCIe headers. The other portion of the board passes an unaltered current that matches your AC-DC's output. That can then go to the Dynamo Mini (basically an HDPlex 160W DC-ATX) or a motherboard with matching power input.

wheatley

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
Sep 5, 2017
It essentially works as a splitter. One portion of the board will take a 16-24V input and convert it to a 4pin SATA header and two 8pin PCIe headers. The other portion of the board passes an unaltered current that matches your AC-DC's output. That can then go to the Dynamo Mini (basically an HDPlex 160W DC-ATX) or a motherboard with matching power input.

awesome what is the estimated price of the board?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am aiming to sell the board for 75 USD. If you want to use it for a 24 pin ATX based PC, then I will bundle it with my custom variant of the 160W DC-ATX Pico-style PSU for 125 USD (normal price 75 USD + 58 USD). Will have the same shipping arrangement as HDPlex's units.