rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017

2008 Toyota Camry SE. Not the most exciting car but it is reliable as hell and has a really comfortable ride. Things that become increasingly important as you get older.

Reactions: Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Does anyone know a good USB powered dash cam (not powered by cigarette lighter)?

Thanks.

(I do not want to start a new thread but figure car nuts should read this thread more than others)

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I have bought three Viofo A119 cams for myself and family, all running stably. The newer version is the A129 which is available in a Duo and Pro version:

I'm happy with the quality when I bought the A119's years ago. Though I'm not sure there has been much progress in image quality on other brands/models.

A site for more info on these but unsure on the amount of "link blog" quality info in there these days: https://dashcamtalk.com/
Be sure to verify on the forum: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/

FreshGnar

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Sep 23, 2020
Here is my '91 BMW E30 325i in Lazurblau Metallic. I bought this car in 2016 and have done lots of work to it since, including: 5 speed manual swap, complete cooling system replacement, new struts and lowering springs, upgraded front and rear sway bar, installed euro 'smiley' headlights, recaro seats, crack-free dash and much more.

I daily drive a 2012 impreza hatchback.

Last edited:

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I have bought three Viofo A119 cams for myself and family, all running stably. The newer version is the A129 which is available in a Duo and Pro version:

I'm happy with the quality when I bought the A119's years ago. Though I'm not sure there has been much progress in image quality on other brands/models.

A site for more info on these but unsure on the amount of "link blog" quality info in there these days: https://dashcamtalk.com/
Be sure to verify on the forum: https://dashcamtalk.com/forum/
Per your experience sharing, I decide to buy a Viofo A119 V3. Looked at the newer A129s as well but I do not need the 'newer' features and the A119 V3 has better cost-to-performance ratio.

Also, thanks for making me aware of this dashcamtalk.com forum. Surprised by so many guys gathered around just to talk about dash cams...lol Many good info there.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I've had a very good experience with these, I hope you will too. Be sure to buy a high quality (endurance) microSD card with reasonable capacity so they aren't corrupt after a short while. I have a Samsung PRO Endurance 32GB in use for 2 years without issue, recording 1080p for about 3-6 hours a week. I also have a SanDisk High Endurance 32GB for about 5 years with the same usage.

Reactions: tinyitx

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
I've had a very good experience with these, I hope you will too. Be sure to buy a high quality (endurance) microSD card with reasonable capacity so they aren't corrupt after a short while. I have a Samsung PRO Endurance 32GB in use for 2 years without issue, recording 1080p for about 3-6 hours a week. I also have a SanDisk High Endurance 32GB for about 5 years with the same usage.
Thanks for this tip.👍 I learned of this 'endurance' rating thing from reading posts in the dashcamtalk.com too.
Samsung Pro Endurance and SanDisk High Endurance are exactly the 2 that I will check out when I visit the local PC mall when the new cam arrives.

Reactions: Phuncz

tinyitx

Shrink Ray Wielder
Jan 25, 2018
Viofo A119 V3 arrives today! I also ordered the suction cup and circular polarizing lens filter.
Got excited. So hopped down to the local PC mall and bought SanDisk High Endurance MicroSD card 128GB (which is half the price of a Samsung Pro. Then, I notice SanDisk has a Max Endurance series which, I suppose, is a direct competitor to the Samsung Pro).

Now I have some new toys in front me waiting to be played with.
Will report my findings when I accumulate some driving hours with this new cam.

Reactions: Phuncz and rfarmer