What do the layout patents from NFC cover?

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
Just one more post from me. I realize everyone thinks I'm an asshole, that I didn't handle it well. I agree. I was too impulsive in posting and didn't allow enough time for introspection. Now that I've had some time, I realize that I was reacting from an emotionally-driven place.

In short, my ability to exercise my creative freedom is extremely important to me, and Josh's use of his patent felt like it threatened that. If it seemed like I was attacking him, it was because of that.

Anyway, I sent him a PM earlier that goes into it a little more, which I will copy here for anyone that is interested:
So I've had some time to reflect and to probe my motivations more deeply, and it's now much clearer to me what set me off.

This is a deep, core belief I hold - more gut instinct and emotion than rational intellect.

Here it is, in its rawest form:

No one gets to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own fucking ideas.

It's that simple. I feel very strongly that if I want to use my imagination and creative energy to write, or draw, or design something, and to then share it, sell it, or do whatever else I want with it, no one should have any right to stop me from doing so.

A patent is a limitation on what people can do with certain ideas - an implied threat of legal force against anyone who would violate it.

I do understand and accept the need for patents, as it serves an important social function by protecting the progenitors of truly novel inventions.

However, as far as I can tell, there is nothing novel about the supposed invention your patent covers. Cutting through the technical jargon, what it seems to come down to is 1.) using a riser to connect the GPU and motherboard in the same plane, 2.) housing these parts in a sufficiently sturdy box, 3.) including holes for airflow. Absolutely none of this is novel or non-obvious to anyone having ordinary skill in the art. Not when you filed the patent in 2012, and not when I was experimenting with the same ideas in 2008. If I'm wrong about this, I need a good explanation of why, and why your patent applies to K888D's design and not others.

I understand your original intention in filing a patent was to protect yourself from predatory practices by competitors. I get that. I still don't think it's a legitimate patent, but at least I understand why you pursued it. However, that is beside the point.

Where it crosses the line for me is when you move from no longer using it purely as a defensive measure, but to making agreements to license the design, and moreover to advertise that fact to the community (via K888D). This sets a precedent that, if accepted by the community, implies that other similar designs should follow suit. I vehemently object to that, on the basis that my designs are my own original creations that incorporate features that are either obvious or established in the public domain. Even the implied suggestion that I should seek your or anyone else's permission to exercise my creative free will is deeply offensive to me.

I apologize that I initially came across so severely. I still think the objections I articulated in the thread have merit, but I recognize now that they were attempts to rationalize my instinctive gut feeling. I hope you understand though where I'm coming from though, that it was driven by a fundamental value which is very personally important to me. As a creator yourself, I'm sure you can appreciate the importance of having your personal autonomy and creative freedom respected.

EDIT: Just to make it completely clear, since some people have some misconceptions: I do not, nor have ever had, any kind of working relationship with Josh | NFC, dondan, or anyone else on the forum apart from wahaha360. He has working relationships with those guys through SFFLab and various joint projects. But I haven't had so much as a single conversation with Josh prior to this thread, and dondan and I have only exchanged messages a couple of times. My objections to Josh's actions are based solely on principle, and have nothing to do with any perceived wrongdoing against me personally.

Last edited:

Necere

Shrink Ray Wielder
NCASE
Feb 22, 2015
I also got a question for @dondan and for @Necere :
Did either of you file for a patent or trademark for your cases? And if so, what did that entail? I'm legitimately curious and invested in this at this point.
Dan (w360) actually did want to file a patent on the M1. I was very hesitant, because I don't like the idea of trying to assert private ownership over ideas like that, but ultimately went along with it because I was curious to see what the process was like or if it was even possible. Plus, I consider the M1's side-mounted radiator to be a novel feature that at least I had never seen before, so there could be at least some grounds there for a utility patent. Dan knows a patent attorney as well, so he didn't have to go too far out of his way.

Long story short though, the patent application was rejected on the grounds of being obvious etc., and in the end it was just a waste of time and money.

el01

King of Cable Management
Original poster
Jun 4, 2018
One thing at @el01
1- Do you mind posting in here was the answer so those of us that are curious can know?
2- Far too late lol
3- You can set notifications to ignore the thread.

I also got a question for @dondan and for @Necere :
Did either of you file for a patent or trademark for your cases? And if so, what did that entail? I'm legitimately curious and invested in this at this point.
yes, I will set notificaitons.

The answer is that it only covers cases in which GPU faces same direction as the CPU cooler, and also only covers the NFC 3-part system. using a different sort of riser or different construction would mitigate this problem

loader963

King of Cable Management
Jan 21, 2017
Dan (w360) actually did want to file a patent on the M1. I was very hesitant, because I don't like the idea of trying to assert private ownership over ideas like that, but ultimately went along with it because I was curious to see what the process was like or if it was even possible. Plus, I consider the M1's side-mounted radiator to be a novel feature that at least I had never seen before, so there could be at least some grounds there for a utility patent. Dan knows a patent attorney as well, so he didn't have to go too far out of his way.

Long story short though, the patent application was rejected on the grounds of being obvious etc., and in the end it was just a waste of time and money.

Right. Did you have to trademark the name though, and if so was it am easier process? And I don't think you are an ass, I just wish you had a PR rep to help dull the edge off of your posts sometimes, ;) Cheers !

The answer is that it only covers cases in which GPU faces same direction as the CPU cooler, and also only covers the NFC 3-part system. using a different sort of riser or different construction would mitigate this problem

And see I would have really liked to have a conversation about this part. I really wish Josh would have clarified this position here. To just say, " Hey this is what i think is cool and if this part here isn't and here is why." I also think I understand why he didn't, but I still wish he would have. This thread really had and still does have the potential to help both new guys and the older ones in what the community should respect with one another's designs. Its still fresh in my mind how so many people were afraid they couldn't criticize and call out others on the theft of other's ip and I think a sincere and mutually respectful topic could really help with what people think should and shouldn't be ok.

Biowarejak

Maker of Awesome | User 1615
Platinum Supporter
Mar 6, 2017
In defense of one of the people I respect the most here, I think @Josh | NFC was using his personal and professional background as evidence of why he sought the patent, and why he wouldn't abuse it. Questioning motivation and disregarding that comes across as an attack of character.

Small Form Factoring is a principled discipline, and we wouldn't be here without Josh's perseverance. Without his hard fought principles. And likewise to all the talented individuals who design new cases or use them as a canvas for some truly beautiful builds as ambassadors to the rest of the PC community.

In any case, collaboration and communication are essential. Supporting each other professionally and personally only keeps us on the right track. So let's keep trucking.

Peace.

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
Just to clear a few things up, I contacted Josh about the design and I myself suggested a licensing deal. Josh did not pursue or ask for anything.

Some people may have been experimenting with side by side layouts since before the patent was filed, but I have not, and cannot claim this idea as my own. This year is my first in experimenting with this type of layout and therefore I am taking the idea from other people.

Josh did not ask for me to disclose anything in my original post, I decided to include it off my own back for a couple of reasons. Firstly because the concept is "inspired" by other peoples designs I wanted to be as upfront as possible that I have made an effort to clear it with the original content creators first before posting. Secondly, admittidly I wanted it to be seen as an example of a better way of working together in this community when operating around the blurred lines of taking other peoples ideas for commercial use.

I've been fairly vocal in the other clone discussion threads expressing that I am completely against copying, so it would be hypocritical of me to then go and do the same thing without at least making an effort to show it can be approached differently.

I posted the statement knowing full well that it may ruffle a few feathers and perhaps spark a debate. The SFF community is becoming saturated with similar designs both in layouts and aesthetics, the worst part of it though is that these ideas are being taken without asking and no effort is being made to differentiate.

Im not saying that we shouldn't have multiple projects that share the same design elements, but that perhaps there is a better way of going about it, collaborating together with each other for mutual benefit rather than against each other and consequently dividing the community for personal/commercial gain.

I did not expect this backlash toward Josh, I feel partly responsible and deep regret for it. But I also feel the negative reaction is totally unjustified, he did not suggest or try to enforce anything, it came totally from me toward him.

You know the best thing though about taking this approach is that the discussions between myself and Josh have led to us collaborating on some future projects.

Here is a good example why I think a pure hardware layout patent will not be valid : If I have a hand full of Lego bricks and now imagine I connected two bricks on a way to each other no one did it before (because there are some many possible combinations) would a patent be valid for it? Keep in mind one rule for having a valid patent is that the invention is not obvious.

It's funny you should mention Lego, they themselves were involved in one of the famous patents ever, here is an interesting article about it :

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-effect-of-LEGO-losing-its-patent

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
An aspect that is easy to ignore that if @Josh | NFC is indeed not using his patent to defend his I.P. actively on community projects here but basically to defend himself against larger parties, there are limits to what he can and can't say. As far as I understand from context in other similar discussions, you can't publically say you are discriminate to who you will or won't do your best to protect your I.P.
He has to be indiscriminate about this or the party attacking the validity of the patent will have more ammo to use.

So if we are pessimistic we can assume Josh will use the patent to bully the community. If we are optimistic we can assume Josh will only use it to protect himself against larger parties. We can't know, we can only assume and this is going to be an endless discussion anyways.

tl;dr
Don't hate the player, hate the game (US legal system)

dondan

Shrink Ray Wielder
DAN Cases
Feb 23, 2015
I only want to add that i feel sad that @Josh | NFC feels beeing attacked from me to his charakter this was not my intention. Sorry Josh.

My intention was only to share my thoughts that i think a patent for an hardware layout will not be valid if it comes to a lawsuite.

SashaLag

SFF Lingo Aficionado
Jun 10, 2018
I publicly feel sad/sorry too. I might be arsh with my comment on this matter, but I felt/feel worried about paying royalties for a patent I judge not worty (BTW I judge not worthy also that famous patent from Asetek). Plus, don't know the backstory behind it (if matter) and I thought @Josh | NFC was starting to asking for money to case developers.

I don't plan to sell nor design anything in the next 5 years... But I felt worry for the "industry"... So, I am not direct touched by it anyway... I still think it shouldn't be valid, but I also recognize I should have chose a better set of words to explain my thoughts!

Reactions: Biowarejak

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Guys, c'mon. We are grown-ups here. Anybody should accept somebody throwing a critique on one's work and not think that it was personal. It probably isn't.

It is also well known that NECERE is a very blunt person. That don't make his comments personal, though.

Okay, I have to side with Josh here. Do you approve of all the Ncase M1 clones, or other cases that copy that layout?

If Josh hadn't patented this layout, other companies would have destroyed him with superior marketing and the ability to drop costs.

Remember that Josh's S cases are the ORIGINAL SFF luxury cases. They really started all this.

And, Josh stated somewhere, that his licencing rates were very reasonable, and probably nearly nonexistent if for a small run case (less than 20).

And lastly, please keep in mind the investment Josh has in this, and what he has done in the community.

I really hate the fact that first there's this Clone drama, and now this "NFC Patent drama". Stuff like this is for Reddit.
We should be more civilized than this.

Windfall

Josh's cases might be the ORIGINAL SFF luxury cases... to you ;)

In any case, this isn't about Josh, or Necere, or Dan or any other hardware maker. We are discussing the validity of a Patent obtained in 2013 that basically covers "a case without fans, that connects the gpu with a ribbon (and said gpu must have a fan and a heatsink) and that has the gpu-card rotated 180º so that it is paralel to the motherboard".

It also has claims that aren't true, if Necere's claims about cases with nearly identical layouts (IE gpu and motherboard in line with each other) existing is accurate. I don't have time to check for that, so I'll assume that he is correct.

The design of the chassis 10 with the mounting holes for hardware, airflow pressure, and airflow aperture, combined with the layout of the hardware components, allows for a system that is cooled only by component fans. No chassis fans are needed. This arrangement of hardware is unique and cannot be found in any consumer chassis let alone mini-ITX chassis.

---

The two PCI expansion slots 20A and 20B are horizontal in orientation and on the same plane as the I/O interface aperture 21. Uniquely, they are rotated so the PCI key is flipped 180 degrees from "normal" server design--or PCI "A-side" orientation. This flipped orientation will be referred to as "B-side" orientation in this document. FIG. 1B shows an expansion card installed 62 in the "B-side" orientation. To bridge the PCIE keys 22A and 22B on the expansion card 62 with the motherboard's expansion slot 24A, the design requires the use of a PCI A-side adapter 26 and PCI/PCIE expansion-extension ribbon 27 as shown in FIGS. 1A and 1B. This design and layout is the first Mini-ITX specific chassis to use this method of bridging an add-in card with a motherboard 24.

This part is a tad strange. It claims to be the first Mini-ITX specific chassis to use a ribbon in order to make the layout on the same plane. But... considering that the ribbon is simply a technologically improved pci-e riser card, and that there have been cases using those risers for years prior to this (again, according to Necere) then... what is exactly being invented here?

Yes, the bezel is also being covered and I'd give merit to that IF it was proved that it was really his invention. But the layout isn't his but any accounts, patent or not.

Alright, @Josh | NFC, listen. We got off to a bad start. Maybe I've jumped to conclusions and been overly critical. Maybe my concerns over the possible ramifications of this patent are unwarranted. If so, I apologize.

So can I ask you to help me better understand, and perhaps allay my concerns? Because - and I'm sure I speak for others as well - I'd like to make sure I don't inadvertantly design a case that infringes your patent (or if that's even something I should be concerned about).

Can you answer the following questions for me?
  1. What is it about K888D's design that causes it to fall under your patent?
  2. Does it only cover GPUs that face the same side as the CPU, or both orientations? Because the patent references both.
  3. Would it cover something like the Zaber Sentry, for example?

Please understand - while I'm pretty sure you have no intention to engage in predatory patent litigation (AKA patent trolling), I can't be 100% sure that you will always be the sole owner of the patent, and that it won't become an issue in the future. Better to be safe than sorry.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from.

The Sentry is covered, for sure. It doesn't have fans; it has the motherboard and the gpu on the same plane; and uses a ribbon.

Yes the patent would only be limited to the USA unless there are other patents held in other jurisdictions.

With respect to whether taking patents of this sort out (regardless of intention) is bad form, bullshit, trolling or otherwise is kind of irrelevant. I would point out that the ability in the US to make overbroad patents has most likely been engineered to suit large corporations and the maximization of their profit. Considering who benefits the most from these laws, it will likely never change. I for one am happy that a benevolent member of our community has this patent rather than some large and greedy Asetek-like corporation. I'd also take the stance that if I were to take out a patent of this sort, I would personally seek to profit like fucking crazy from any larger entity that tried to use it without the correct permissions but wouldn't bother chasing small fries like us as it wouldn't be worth the time or money to do so.

The thing is that patents change hands. Something bad is bad regardless of who owns it.

Hi. Long time listener, first time caller. If only we could turn back the hands of time, take the content of this post, and make it the initial interaction between you and Josh, directly and privately. That's what decent people do. I really didn't need to see this thread and nothing has been gained from it. You don't act as my civil servant, and the issues you're pressing aren't why I visit this site or something I care about. I don't care if you want "answers". You lack common decency and perspective.

If this is considered a personal attack (and yet what you have done isn't apparently), then I greatly apologize to everyone here and I will remove this comment.

Yes, things have been gained from it. This discussion, for starters.

I didn't know about this thread . This was my message on the lazer3d thread after reading he licenzed a layout fromt Josh.

I never said a single word against you and your character and I don't want to follow a discussion in this direction. I only said that I can't believe this patent is valid and will resist a lawsuit if it protects only the hardware layout. I think it is not possible to have a valid patent on a hardware layout.

Too bad you didn't say a single word about your patent what it exactly protects and why you think it is a real invention.

Here is a good example why I think a pure hardware layout patent will not be valid : If I have a hand full of Lego bricks and now imagine I connected two bricks on a way to each other no one did it before (because there are some many possible combinations) would a patent be valid for it? Keep in mind one rule for having a valid patent is that the invention is not obvious.

The problem here isn't that your idea (ie NFC's one) isn't valid as a patent... but the fact that there was prior art. GPU and motherboard on the same plane, at the time of the patent, was already being sold by some retailers.

But yes, we could discuss whether a layout can be a valid patent. I don't think so, although it would be a lengthy discussion. BUT...we do have prior art, so there is nothing to discuss.

Alright everyone, I'm back since the chaos has died down, and I have a few things to say.

1. It's amazing how an actual answer was provided after significant amounts of arguing. I'm frankly very surprised. If you have conflicts, please resolve them peacefully.
2. I don't want to create any more chaos here, so everyone, for the sake of everyone's sanity, be quiet (please).
3. I don't want to see any more of this thread in my notifications. Consider this thread dead in my mind.

I finally got my answers. Thanks to the great people who actually told me what the patents are.

You created the thread, yes, but the community as a whole can claim ownership. If you don't want notifications, turn them off.

No, it never says that. It says "rotated 180º ". Guess what, that covers both cases.

And no, this isn't related to the NFC 3-part system. That is the 2nd part of the patent. the first one covers the usage of a gpu + motherboard in an in-line configuration, with a ribbon and without fans.

Just to clear a few things up, I contacted Josh about the design and I myself suggested a licensing deal. Josh did not pursue or ask for anything.

Some people may have been experimenting with side by side layouts since before the patent was filed, but I have not, and cannot claim this idea as my own. This year is my first in experimenting with this type of layout and therefore I am taking the idea from other people.

Josh did not ask for me to disclose anything in my original post, I decided to include it off my own back for a couple of reasons. Firstly because the concept is "inspired" by other peoples designs I wanted to be as upfront as possible that I have made an effort to clear it with the original content creators first before posting. Secondly, admittidly I wanted it to be seen as an example of a better way of working together in this community when operating around the blurred lines of taking other peoples ideas for commercial use.

I've been fairly vocal in the other clone discussion threads expressing that I am completely against copying, so it would be hypocritical of me to then go and do the same thing without at least making an effort to show it can be approached differently.

I posted the statement knowing full well that it may ruffle a few feathers and perhaps spark a debate. The SFF community is becoming saturated with similar designs both in layouts and aesthetics, the worst part of it though is that these ideas are being taken without asking and no effort is being made to differentiate.

Im not saying that we shouldn't have multiple projects that share the same design elements, but that perhaps there is a better way of going about it, collaborating together with each other for mutual benefit rather than against each other and consequently dividing the community for personal/commercial gain.

I did not expect this backlash toward Josh, I feel partly responsible and deep regret for it. But I also feel the negative reaction is totally unjustified, he did not suggest or try to enforce anything, it came totally from me toward him.

You know the best thing though about taking this approach is that the discussions between myself and Josh have led to us collaborating on some future projects.

It's funny you should mention Lego, they themselves were involved in one of the famous patents ever, here is an interesting article about it :

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-effect-of-LEGO-losing-its-patent

I don't think anyone is taking any of it personally (BTW, your work is amazing). What some are mentioning is that a party licensing something that shouldn't have a license to begin with is opening a can of worms (AGAIN, what matters here is WHAT, not WHO. There is nothing for you to apologize: you did what you thought was reasonable / best and hey, at least you were straight forward about it, so kudos to you). Specially when:

a) Prior art exists
b) Your layout has nothing in common with the patent. For starters, because it can feature fans (and the patent is specific for a case design that only uses the fans of the components).

7. The configuration of claim 1, wherein the mounting configuration is cooled only by component fans and without chassis fans.

AND because your design is not a 3-piece case (which is precisely the other thing being patent: (a) a chassis comprising first web section, a second web section, and a bezel piece, wherein the rigidity of the chassis is attributed to the bezel piece, and wherein the bezel piece defines a first rectangular opening and a pair of second rectangular openings, wherein said second web section includes a mounting tab located between said first rectangular opening and said pair of second rectangular openings

Again, this is a WHAT discussion, not a WHO. You not only did what you thought was right BUT were also transparent about it all. The fact still remains: the second part of the patent regarding the unibody bezel and 2 panels is OK-ish to me (just barely, maybe) but the claims of it being the first in the market with that layout are not accurate.

Moreover, I hightly your design is covered by that patent (even if that patent was valid).

|||

King of Cable Management
Sep 26, 2015
In a patent, the only legally enforceable part of it are the claims. Everything else is exposition that goes to clarify what the claims are and mean, but they have no legal bearing. These are the claims, with claim 1 and claim 10 the only major claims and all other claims refer to and refine the major claims:

1. A mounting configuration for a mini ITX/ATX motherboard and a PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card, comprising:

(a) a chassis, having a first planar rigid web section and a second planar rigid web section, perpendicular to said first planar rigid web section, said second planar rigid web section defining a first rectangular opening, having a greater extent in a first dimension than in a second dimension, and a pair of second rectangular openings displaced in said first dimension from said first rectangular opening and displaced in said second dimension from each other, wherein said second planar rigid web section includes a mounting tab located between said first rectangular opening and said pair of second rectangular openings;

(b) said mini ITX/ATX motherboard attached located substantially parallel to said first planar rigid web section proximal to said first rectangular opening and having an expansion slot positioned proximal to said second rectangular openings;

(c) said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card attached to said mounting tab on said second planar rigid web section, first planar rigid web section proximal to said pair of second rectangular openings, and further defining occupying at least one expansion slot aligned to one of said second rectangular openings, and further including a PCI adapter, on a side of said expansion card furthest from said motherboard such that the PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card has a B-side orientation; and

(d) a PCI expansion ribbon cable connecting said expansion slot to said PCI adapter.

2. The configuration of claim 1, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card defines two expansion slots, each one aligned to one of said pair of second rectangular openings.

3. The configuration of claim 1, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card includes a fan and is oriented so that said fan is parallel to the motherboard and positioned closer to the second planar rigid web section than the first planar rigid web section, thereby permitting said fan to draw cool air through said second planar rigid web section, when it is activated.

4. The configuration of claim 1, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card includes a heatsink and is oriented so that said heatsink is parallel to the mini ITX/ATX motherboard and positioned closer to the second planar rigid web section than the first planar web section.

5. The configuration of claim 4, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card further includes a fan that is oriented so that said fan is disposed between the heatsink and the second planar rigid web section.

6. The configuration of claim 1, wherein the motherboard conforms to the Mini ITX form factor.

7. The configuration of claim 1, wherein the mounting configuration is cooled only by component fans and without chassis fans.

8. The configuration of claim 6, wherein the motherboard comprises a PCI expansion slot, and wherein a PCI/PCIE expansion-extension ribbon connects the PCI expansion slot with the PCI adapter.

9. The configuration of claim 1, wherein the PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card is a graphic processing unit.

10. A mounting configuration for a mini ITX/ATX motherboard and PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card, comprising:

(a) a chassis comprising first web section, a second web section, and a bezel piece, wherein the rigidity of the chassis is attributed to the bezel piece, and wherein the bezel piece defines a first rectangular opening and a pair of second rectangular openings, wherein said second web section includes a mounting tab located between said first rectangular opening and said pair of second rectangular openings;

(b) said mini ITX/ATX motherboard attached located substantially parallel to said first web section proximal to said first rectangular opening and having an expansion slot positioned proximal to said second rectangular openings, wherein said mini ITX/ATX motherboard further comprises a PCI expansion slot;

(c) said PCI expansion card attached to said mounting tab on said second web section; at least one of the second rectangular openings;

(d) a PCI adapter connecting the PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card to the PCI expansion slot of the motherboard, and wherein the PCI adapter is connected to the PCI expansion card on a side of said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card furthest from the motherboard such that the PCI expansion card has a B-side orientation.

11. The configuration of claim 10, further comprising a PCI expansion ribbon cable connecting said expansion slot to the PCI adapter.

12. The configuration of claim 10, wherein the pair of second rectangular openings defines two expansion slots oriented so that the PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card is parallel with the motherboard.

13. The configuration of claim 10, wherein the PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card includes a fan and is oriented so that the fan is parallel to the mini ITX/ATX motherboard and positioned closer to the second planar rigid web section than the first planar rigid web section, thereby permitting the fan to draw cool air through said second web section when it is activated.

14. The configuration of claim 10, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card includes a heatsink and is oriented so that said heatsink is parallel to the mini ITX/ATX motherboard and positioned closer to the second web section than the first web section.

15. The configuration of claim 14, wherein said PCI keyed ATX-compliant expansion card further includes a fan that is oriented so that said fan is disposed between the heatsink and the second web section.

16. The configuration of claim 10, wherein the motherboard conforms to the Mini ITX form factor.

17. The configuration of claim 10, wherein the mounting configuration is cooled only by component fans and without chassis fans.

18. The configuration of claim 10, wherein the PCI expansion card is an ATX-compliant graphic processing unit.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
In a patent, the only legally enforceable part of it are the claims. Everything else is exposition that goes to clarify what the claims are and mean, but they have no legal bearing. These are the claims, with claim 1 and claim 10 the only major claims and all other claims refer to and refine the major claims:

Thanks for the information.

Then... because Claim 10 refers to two panels + bezel and it only requires gpu + motherboard to be paralell (no mention of being on the same plane) you could target a much, MUCH broader set of cases. Maybe even stuff such as the A4, for instance. As it has a bezel that gives rigidity to everything, uses a ribbon, etc.

In any case, I see no relation whatsoever with this patent and K888D's design. If anything because his design allows for a fan and in no way has a bezel such as the one described in Claim 10.

Reactions: loader963 and el01

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Mulling over these same points over and over really is moot (and has been since the start of this thread).

Love it or hate it, the USA (and many other countries) have enshrined the ability of the first individual to file a patent to use said patent as they see fit. The obvious downside of that is the ability of the owner to use the patent as a bullying tool regardless of whether or not they had the idea first. The fact that you feel that "No one gets to tell me what I can or cannot do with my own fucking ideas." is completely irrelevant to this discussion.

Unless I misunderstand the patent laws in the US, a patent holder in the US can tell you exactly what you can and can't do with your ideas if they filed before you. The best case scenario being that you can pony 300-400 bucks an hour to hire an IP lawyer in order legally prove the indefensibility of said patent.

Don't get me wrong, I think the system is total shit and patents should have much shorter lives (5 years) as well as being vulnerable to disqualification and penalty when an individual or entity is keeping valuable technology that could benefit humanity to themselves.

AMURRRICUUUHHH (and CANADUUUHHH as we have the same sort of Patent Law)!

Last edited:

K888D

SFF Guru
Lazer3D
Feb 23, 2016
www.lazer3d.com
I don't think anyone is taking any of it personally (BTW, your work is amazing). What some are mentioning is that a party licensing something that shouldn't have a license to begin with is opening a can of worms (AGAIN, what matters here is WHAT, not WHO. There is nothing for you to apologize: you did what you thought was reasonable / best and hey, at least you were straight forward about it, so kudos to you).

Thank you for the kind words, but I say bring on the can of worms!

From a selfish perspective of someone trying to grow a business in this market, I would rather participate in a community that respects other peoples ideas, whatever it is we need to do as a community to make that happen I want to support it.

prava

Cable-Tie Ninja
Mar 21, 2017
Thank you for the kind words, but I say bring on the can of worms!

From a selfish perspective of someone trying to grow a business in this market, I would rather participate in a community that respects other peoples ideas, whatever it is we need to do as a community to make that happen I want to support it.

I understand you and, again, kudos to you. And I'm not saying this lightly, but your products are truly innovative and you seem to be a very respectable person.

Still, I'm unsure on the license, considering your design uses fans (which the patent specifically mentions not using them) and he wasn't the first to market a case with gpu + motherboard on an in-line configuration. But my opinion is irrelevant on the matter, as licensing (or not) is an entirely private matter. Aaaaand the design for which you licensed the patent is also amazing.

It is interesting to see the changes in design language in the products you manufacture. HT5 and CG7 are clearly part of the same family, whilst LZ7 is a very different beast. And, the new one, is also clearly part of the HT5 family. All in all, very interesting products. They look retro yet modern, and the way you mix and match different colours and woods make them very atractive to be used in a living room or in a sleek environment, since they aren't techy at all but, at the same time, they are.

PS: Overclockers still not shipping to Spain?