What are good names for SFF machines?

bogon

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Oct 2, 2016
I just finished building an ASRock DeskMini 110 with an i7-6700 and I'm trying to think up a good name for it. I named all my other machines after fictional planets, but that doesn't seem fitting in this case. The only thing I can think right now is Gimli- the small, but powerful dwarf from Lord of the Rings. Any other suggestions?

Soul_Est

SFF Guru
SFFn Staff
Feb 12, 2016
You could take a look in a thesaurus for synonyms to words such as small, mini, tiny, etc. (e.g.: Picayune, Bantam, Trifling). You could also choose a word from another language for the name (e.g.: the Sony Ericsson Xperia Ray had the codename Urushi which is Japanese for varnish).

EdZ

Virtual Realist
May 11, 2015
I named all my other machines after fictional planets, but that doesn't seem fitting in this case.
How about a fictional tiny planet? Zabriska, a planetoid from the Lensman series.
A superheated billiard-ball-smooth rock a few miles wide, orbiting continuously illuminated in a trinary system. Home to the stupidest creature in the universe that still qualifies as alive: the Fontema. It absorbs sunlight, and rolls forward in a straight line, encountering no obstacles other than other Fontemas (which merge then split again by mitosis, leaving on right-angle paths).

jtd871

SFF Guru
Jun 22, 2015
If you ever played Stars! ( groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/rec.games.computer.stars ) back in the day, you might choose "Stinky Socks".

confusis

John Morrison. Founder and Team Leader of SFF.N
SFF Network
SFF Workshop
SFFn Staff
Jun 19, 2015
sff.network
'The Compensator'

I usually randomise it, basing it on what the build is sometimes. I've had;

'Aurora V 1- infinity' Because i like the word
Think_Micro (my smallest build)
Kase (my first NAS)
Detox (a wooden case)
Shhhh (passive)

No rhyme or reason to the schema, but it works for me.

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I just realised none of my builds or PCs have names. My main desktop PC is just "desktop PC". My NAS based on NAS4Free is uninspiringly called NAS4FREE. My ESXi host is probably called ESXIHOST, although I don't know if that's its hostname since I always connect through IP.
#boring

Reactions: Ceros_X

jØrd

S̳C̳S̳I̳ ̳f̳o̳r̳ ̳l̳i̳f̳e̳
sudocide.dev
SFFn Staff
Gold Supporter
LOSIAS
Jul 19, 2015
I'm equally as half-hearted as Phuncz when it comes to naming things, I usually just name computers after either the case their in or the function they perform or the name of the platform (pi for my Rpi, Domino for my Domino Pi, fortress for my ft03 mini, wii for the wii, etc). The only box I ever put any effort into naming was my HTPC, called Vitascope

Perhaps name your deskmini after a fictional moon or fictional man made satellite / space station / etc

Reactions: Soul_Est and Phuncz

3lfk1ng

King of Cable Management
SFFn Staff
Bronze Supporter
Jun 3, 2016
www.reihengaming.com
I just realised none of my builds or PCs have names. My main desktop PC is just "desktop PC". My NAS based on NAS4Free is uninspiringly called NAS4FREE. My ESXi host is probably called ESXIHOST, although I don't know if that's its hostname since I always connect through IP.
#boring

#boring is right ;)

I'm quite fond of naming my computers.

My older PC's are/were all named after iconic characters in games.
My HTPC is named after the iconic emissary(s) in, "2001: A Space Odyssey", which I found quite fitting.
My newer PC's are all named after metals (or the malignant conditions they can cause).

Companion_Cube (NAS)
Monolith (HTPC)
Tungsten (Wife's PC)
Daedra (Gaming PC)
Tetanus (Laptop)

Reactions: Soul_Est

Mango

Trash Compacter
Apr 10, 2016
I'm going to name my white LZ7 build "Neutron Star"; lots of power in a tiny space like a real neutron star.

Space-based names are always fun. Perhaps something like "Singularity"

Reactions: Soul_Est and cmyk78