Welp... my watercooling loop is now on my floor...

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Well that just happened. I was inspecting an issue with my motherboard since my nanos were not running at the right bus speeds (PCI-e gen 2 x2/x2 instead of PCI-e gen 3 x8/x8) when the velcro that held my pump to the inside of my case decided it was going to die out. The pump fell off of the back panel, pulled a tube out and spilled fluid all over the inside of my case. I spent the next hour cleaning the mess, giving my parts an alcohol bath, and disassembling my loop. Luckily the PC was off and unplugged when it happened so I'm hopeful that the GPUs will not be dead when I attempt to reconnect.

The dye from the fluid however has left some parts of the top GPU dyed with a white color that I cannot manage to get off. Right now they are sitting under a fan to help with the drying process. Im going to be reverting everything back to air while I try to figure out what to do next. Im going to be SOL if my card dies since I wont be able to afford a replacement and the warranty on the nanos is void if you replace the stock cooler. *sigh*

On the good side however it looks like my motherboard, cpu, ram, and ssd survived as im currently using it to type this. I just removed the cpu cooler and threw on the stock intel cooler. Its all I had lol. Had to revert my overclocks as well.

Last edited:

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
I hope it turns out OK, I am hopeful it will function properly. For the dye, you may try nail polish remover and a tooth brush (a spare one ;)).

The problems you're having is exactly why I don't want to go back to a full watercooling loop anytime soon. Having an issue means everything needs to be dismantled most of the time, especially with SFF. But your project wouldn't be possible without watercooling so I hope you'll continue.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
I hope it turns out OK, I am hopeful it will function properly. For the dye, you may try nail polish remover and a tooth brush (a spare one ;)).

The problems you're having is exactly why I don't want to go back to a full watercooling loop anytime soon. Having an issue means everything needs to be dismantled most of the time, especially with SFF. But your project wouldn't be possible without watercooling so I hope you'll continue.

I was scrubbing it with a toothbrush and 92% alcohol already actually lol, Im waiting for a Mayhems rep to get back to me about the conductivity of their dyes. If its non conductive Im just going to plug it back in and pray lol, if not im going to plug it back in and pray anyways because I cannot get the rest of the dye off to save my life. It it just a light coating around a small section of the GPU core, it kind of looks like it is just stained.

The project actually works fine with air cooling lmao. I just wanted to watercool something and this was the first chance I had. Of course the temps are nicer on water, but they are well within operating temps on air (50C on the cpu, 85C on the GPUs)

This does give me an excuse to start work on that scratch case though... since everything is already disassembled.

Phuncz

Lord of the Boards
SFFn Staff
May 9, 2015
Ah I was under the impression you had the Nanos in a single-slot configuration to fit inside an mITX case with two slots.

ChainedHope

Airflow Optimizer
Original poster
Jun 5, 2016
Ah I was under the impression you had the Nanos in a single-slot configuration to fit inside an mITX case with two slots.

The case actually has 4ish slots worth of room cut out. I wanted to do a 2 slot style config but could never find a mATX motherboard that had 2 slots next to each other on the top in the Z87/Z97 chipset.

Not your fault for not seeing that however. I only ever showed one pic of the back in my build log because it is NOT pretty lol