Custom loop Sliger SM570

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2019

Parts list

Sliger SM570 with handle, because you shouldn’t have a tiny case without a handle!
Asrock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX/AC
GSkill 3200mhz 32gb
I7 8086k delidded/liquid metal
EVGA RTX 2080 Super XC Ultra
Samsung 970 Evo m.2 250gb boot
Intel 660p 2tb m.2 game library
Corsair SF600 Platinum
Noctua NF-A12X25 x4
Ekwb supremacy cpu block
Bitspower Lotan gpu block
Switftech MCP35X pump
Ekwb PE240 radiator
Ekwb zmt tubing
Ekwb compression fittings x8
Ekwb swivel 90 x5
Bitspower 90 x2
Bitspower extension x2
Swiftech barb x2
Alphacool Cape Corp Coolplex Metal 15 reservoir

Test temps were done using realbench for 8 hours. Temps peaked in the first 20 minutes of run time and didn’t change after that other then minor fluctuations. Peak temps are listed. Fans run at around 1500rpm in game, so fairly quiet. At stock clocks in the stress test they only spun up to 1700rpm with the curve I have set, so I could push the temps down a bit further with a more aggressive fan profile, but it’s plenty cool, and I like the quiet. The fans did run at full speed when overclocked.

54c cpu 39c gpu no overclock, gpu at 116% power

Cpu 78c Gpu 40c Cpu 5.2, 1.425v, -2 avx. Gpu 2040mhz, memory +200, 116% power

In game cpu 46c, gpu 38c.

Mobo temp 32-35c, cooler when the cpu was overclocked, as the fan speed had increased.

Build went fairly smooth. This was the first time I built a custom loop. I started by making my custom loop in a Meshify c case with only the 2 radiator fans moving air, to see if the temps would be satisfactory. I didn’t have a reservoir in the first build as I didn’t think I’d have room in the sm570. I started with a bitspower leviathan 240, but when I went to move to the sm570, I decided the fans needed a bit more breathing room. Luckily microcenter had a PE240 on the shelf.

Fitting the radiator in was tricky. The ekwb measured a hair over 130mm, and the top on the sm570 was a tad under 130mm. Made for a snug fit!

After putting everything together without a reservoir, I decided I could squeeze one in after all and started looking around for something that would fit well. Alphacool was the option I came up with, although the stock mounts don’t fit in with my gpu, what’s a few drilled holes in a brand new case? After the initial build with stock psu cables I knew I was going to be shortening them up to clean up space and let air move a bit more. I rewired the mcp35x to run off the fan port rather then a Molex, and I don’t have any 2.5” drives. That meant I could build the whole thing with just 4 cables. Even so, I pulled out a lot of extra wire.

My gpu block and cpu block were purchased at the same time. Both Ekwb nickel/acetal. Except when I got home from microcenter with my new blocks, the gpu block in the box was actually a fluid gaming alloy/plexi block! No worries, microcenter shows 4 nickel/acetal in stock, and my gpu is already in pieces all over the table top. Off I go! Except, turns out, the only other Ekwb they could find at microcenter had also been opened, and some had removed all the hardware and heat sink pads from the box. Sigh. There was however a shiny RGB Bitspower sitting there. So much for a low key build! Everyone wanted windows to see the custom loop anyways, now there’s RGB to admire too. And, Microcenter is locking up all the gpu blocks. Sorry shoplifters.

I think that about covers it. Any questions, feel free to ask, and I’ll see if I have an answer. Not amazing pics, best I could do today! That shiny plastic is a pain. As is the nickel plated everything! Reflections everywhere.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2019
I measured my case this morning, I have 62.5mm between my gpu and the end of the case, but only 57mm between the spine in the middle of the case and the side panel. The intake fan on the bottom also takes up space where the pump would need to mount at the bottom of the case. An sm580 May give you the room needed, combined with a shorter gpu and losing or downsizing a fan.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2019
Made a change to my gpu, picked up an EKWB founders block, and gpu to go with. I wanted a nice clean blacked out loop when i was building, but was in a pinch when the water block was mixed up on the rtx at microcenter, so i just rolled with the rgb.

Here's the card all ready to go

To fit it into the system I ended up removing the plastic trim around the port block, as well as flipping the block around for a bit of extra space behind the gpu. The previous Bitspower block is a taller block, and had the space behind it already.

Lots of air bubbles in the res, was in the middle of bleeding and preparing for a leak test. I also swapped my drives while I had everything apart. The boot drive was switched to a 1tb 970 pro, and I swapped the 2tb intel out for a 2tb inland pro. Heres the mobo side, nice matching blocks now! Ram was swapped to a pair of 3600mhz hyper x modules, same 32gb still.

Heres whats behind the front cover, a little crossover tube from the reservoir to the pump, few extra holes drilled into my case, and a little extra removed for pump access. I wired the pump to a pwm extension, but left it so i could unplug it in front and hook it up to a psu outside of the case for bleeding and leak testing. Still room for a 2.5"!

Last edited:

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Oct 30, 2020
@spdfrek sorry - fat fingered that. Couple of questions:
- When you modified the power cable lengths & re-spliced the wires, did you by chance remove a small amount of metal strands in the wires when stripping them? I've done this & curious if anyone had bad experiences or weird behavior because of the potential voltage / amp change across the wire if some of the strands are missing at the female ATX terminal...
- How hot does the pump you're using get?
- What kind of temps are you seeing under load w/the one rad?

Pretty cool build! I'm building one in an SM570 now. Will post pics when it's complete!

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Oct 30, 2020
@spdfrek one other thing - I know it's recommended to flip the PSU, but did you do that from experiencing high temps, or just because you read it was recommended? I don't want to flip mine - thinking of drilling holes in the acrylic right in front where the fan sits against to give it nice cool airflow.

spdfrek

Trash Compacter
Original poster
Nov 26, 2019
@spdfrek sorry - fat fingered that. Couple of questions:
- When you modified the power cable lengths & re-spliced the wires, did you by chance remove a small amount of metal strands in the wires when stripping them? I've done this & curious if anyone had bad experiences or weird behavior because of the potential voltage / amp change across the wire if some of the strands are missing at the female ATX terminal...

I am sure I lost a couple in the process, no issues for me. Given that its the same awg wire that they use on full tax length cables, I don't think most of us even own equipment sensitive enough to measure what tiny bit of drop would be there from a couple missing strands.

- How hot does the pump you're using get?

When running alone at full speed, it'll get hot to the touch. I used an extra fan stand on edge while leak testing/bleeding and the fan barely was warm to the touch then.

- What kind of temps are you seeing under load w/the one rad?

I posted temps on the initial build with the 8086k/2080 super. The 1080ti ran slightly cooler then the 2080super did.

Test temps were done using realbench for 8 hours. Temps peaked in the first 20 minutes of run time and didn’t change after that other then minor fluctuations. Peak temps are listed. Fans run at around 1500rpm in game, so fairly quiet. At stock clocks in the stress test they only spun up to 1700rpm with the curve I have set, so I could push the temps down a bit further with a more aggressive fan profile, but it’s plenty cool, and I like the quiet. The fans did run at full speed when overclocked.

54c cpu 39c gpu no overclock, gpu at 116% power

Cpu 78c Gpu 40c Cpu 5.2, 1.425v, -2 avx. Gpu 2040mhz, memory +200, 116% power

In game cpu 46c, gpu 38c.

Mobo temp 32-35c, cooler when the cpu was overclocked, as the fan speed had increased.

-Pretty cool build! I'm building one in an SM570 now. Will post pics when it's complete!

Get all those pictures in a build thread! I don't know if you've picked out a radiator yet. The pe240 I ran was a tight fit, initially I planned on running a bitspower xf240, but I didn't feel there was enough breathing room for the fans, so I switched to gain an extra 9mm of clearance. The bits power was much easier to fit in, aside from the thickness.
@spdfrek one other thing - I know it's recommended to flip the PSU, but did you do that from experiencing high temps, or just because you read it was recommended? I don't want to flip mine - thinking of drilling holes in the acrylic right in front where the fan sits against to give it nice cool airflow.

I never even tried it the other way, I liked the clean look with the fan facing in. The sf600 only spun up during stress testing, and once in awhile during gaming. Only way to tell it was running was look inside, because you couldn't hear it.

Reactions: brosephStalin

brosephStalin

Chassis Packer
Oct 30, 2020
@spdfrek Thanks for all the info! Sounds like you got really good temp numbers.

I'm going to be using a EK SE240 rad in the top and a xspc tx240 in the bottom (only 20.5mm thick). To cool the bottom on, I've used a set of replacement legs I found on the interwebs just for this case that raise it enough to slide in 2 x 120mm fans underneath the case.

I will definitely be posting some pics w/a thread once my build is complete. Just waiting on the 3070 FE water blocks to release & I'll be able to start to piece this thing together!