Ways to make the wraith stealth fit in the fractal design node 202?

Mild_Curry

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
So I wanna make a small form factor build but I'm on a strict budget, around £600. I already Have a 980 ti to shove in there so I wanna use the £600 on EVERYTHING ELSE. The 980ti is by zotac and is a blower style cooler so there is some info if it is needed.

Anyway I wanna build in the node 202 since it seems to fit all my needs, I'm ordering from amazon. my current parts list is here but keep in mind that it wont show the price that I can actually spend when going through amazon. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/8pMBzY
It doesnt have the case because the node 202 isnt on pc part picker and it doesnt have the 980ti becuase I already have it
This coes out to £572.83 when getting these exact parts on amazon so I'm pretty happy with that but I have ONE problem.

The ryzen 5 2600 comes with the wraith stealth cooler so my question is will it fit, from what I've found, it cannot but there area apparently work arounds, something to do with removing the plastic shroud around the fan or something, I also wonder if I can get something like a Noctua NF-A12x15 and just remove the fan completely from my wraith stealth and just mount the case just above the heat sink and let it be the new fan.

So yeah any suggestions on the build or about my cooling situation would be nice.

Mild_Curry

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Removing the dust filter and plastic bracket over the CPU in the Node 202 gives you 58mm clearance for a cpu cooler. People have put the AXP 100 in this way.

Press down and twist the AMD logo portion of the Wraith Stealth cooler and it comes off. The remaining fan and shroud is then like 4-5mm (?) shorter. See if doing those two things gets it to fit.

Or just spring for the L9a. Can’t go wrong there. ;)

Edit: quoted from Reddit user wadeface:

Confirming from my own build today it fits. As posted you have to remove the dust filter from the top/side of the Node 202 and also the extra plastic lip from the Wraith Spire cooler (just pulls off serves no function).

There is still a small lip around the Wraith Spire so the fan is not against the case directly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phuncz

Mild_Curry

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
Removing the dust filter and plastic bracket over the CPU in the Node 202 gives you 58mm clearance for a cpu cooler. People have put the AXP 100 in this way.

Press down and twist the AMD logo portion of the Wraith Stealth cooler and it comes off. The remaining fan and shroud is then like 4-5mm (?) shorter. See if doing those two things gets it to fit.

Or just spring for the L9a. Can’t go wrong there. ;)

Edit: quoted from Reddit user wadeface:

Confirming from my own build today it fits. As posted you have to remove the dust filter from the top/side of the Node 202 and also the extra plastic lip from the Wraith Spire cooler (just pulls off serves no function).

There is still a small lip around the Wraith Spire so the fan is not against the case directly.
Okay thanks. So you built in the node 202 and use the wraith stealth? if so, do you HAVE to get rid of the dust filter or is taking the coolers plastic shroud enough on its own

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Personally I have done one build in the Node 202. First using the Cryorig C7 on AM4 with the case dust filter and bracket removed.

Finally went with the L9a once I heard that cryorig fan in person...This is plug and play in the Node 202.

Web search brought me to A Reddit user who claims the Wraith works with dust filter removal in the Node 202 and removing the AMD logo ring from the fan.
That user claims it was the spire so maybe the stealth fits if you just remove the dust filter and bracket from the case.

You wouldn’t have to purchase another cooler so you may as well give that a shot.

Mild_Curry

Efficiency Noob
Original poster
Sep 2, 2018
Personally I have done one build in the Node 202. First using the Cryorig C7 on AM4 with the case dust filter and bracket removed.

Finally went with the L9a once I heard that cryorig fan in person...This is plug and play in the Node 202.

Web search brought me to A Reddit user who claims the Wraith works with dust filter removal in the Node 202 and removing the AMD logo ring from the fan.
That user claims it was the spire so maybe the stealth fits if you just remove the dust filter and bracket from the case.

You wouldn’t have to purchase another cooler so you may as well give that a shot.
Yeah okay thanks man.