Log Velka 7 Build Help

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Budget: $1500 (not hard budget)

I've got a laptop that I just bought, but I'm getting a little more into gaming again and found that my laptop doesn't quite meet my needs. I could get a eGPU, but since the main cost of a new system is the GPU, I'm thinking of just doing a SFF build and selling the laptop. Since I'm always traveling (usually not in the same place more than 2 weeks), I'm looking at the Velka 7.
The most intense thing I'll use it for gaming wise would be Cities Skylines 2. All else will be lots of work (CPU and RAM heavy).

For a Velka 7 build, I'm thinking
GPU: Zotac Twin Edge GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER 12GB
Other than that, all I know is that I want an i7 or i9 CPU and at least 32GB ram. And preferably water cooled on the CPU.

Can anyone make some suggestions for the remainder of the components?
And if anyone has a link for where to buy a 4070TI Super that would fit in the Velka 7, please link it.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
You can't watercool in the Velka 7, there isn't anywhere to mount an AIO. Look at the Dan A4-H20 maybe, not as small but it is just 11l and does support 240mm AIO. You are limited to 48mm air coolers and I honestly wouldn't recommend anything more powerful than a i5 13500. You can get the Inno3d 4070 Ti Super from Overclockers UK which ships to most of the world.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
You can't watercool in the Velka 7, there isn't anywhere to mount an AIO. Look at the Dan A4-H20 maybe, not as small but it is just 11l and does support 240mm AIO. You are limited to 48mm air coolers and I honestly wouldn't recommend anything more powerful than a i5 13500. You can get the Inno3d 4070 Ti Super from Overclockers UK which ships to most of the world.
Understood, thanks.
Can you recommend any motherboards? And air coolers?

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Apologies, to clarify.

Can you recommend a motherboard and water cooler for the Dan A4-H20. I'll likely use the newest i7 CPU.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Apologies, to clarify.

Can you recommend a motherboard and water cooler for the Dan A4-H20. I'll likely use the newest i7 CPU.
I'd recommend either the Asrock z790i Lightning or the MSI z790i Edge, both look very decent but the MSI does have 3xM.2 slots and the Asrock has 2. Right now one of the most popular 240mm AIOs is the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 Atmos. Seeing this in a lot of A4-H20 and FormD T1 and the users are impressed.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
I'd recommend either the Asrock z790i Lightning or the MSI z790i Edge, both look very decent but the MSI does have 3xM.2 slots and the Asrock has 2. Right now one of the most popular 240mm AIOs is the Cooler Master MasterLiquid 240 Atmos. Seeing this in a lot of A4-H20 and FormD T1 and the users are impressed.
Awesome. How about PSU for the A4-H20?

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
It should be good.
Last question for you to wrap it up if you're willing.

About to buy the following build: CPU: i7-14700k
MOBO: ASUS STRIX B760-I
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i Elite Capellix XT w/2x BeQuiet Silent Wings Pro 4
GPU: Zotac Gaming Trinity 4070 Ti Super
RAM: G.Skill Ripgaws S5 64GB (2x32gb)
PSU: Corsair SF1000L (Yes, overkill)
Case: Dan A4-H20

My worry right now is overheating on the CPU and GPU.
Do you think I'll run into any major overheating issues that would affect performance and component durability?
Do you have any suggestions as to how to better cool the system?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Couple things. I wouldn't use the Corsair SF1000L because it is SFX-L not SFX. Space is very tight in the Dan below the PSU which is where all the cables end up and with the extra height of the SFX-L it will make cable management very difficult. If you can get one I highly recommend the Corsair SF750, it is smaller and comes with much better cables. Cooling is going to depend on your use case. If this is a gaming and general use computer you will be absolutely fine, if you are running extended all core work loads it will run hot. Cooling in the Dan is designed to pull cool air in through the side panels and exhaust out the top, this keeps the GPU cool but you are running the GPU exhaust through the AIO, it will raise your CPU temps a couple degrees but this has been determined to be the best setup.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Couple things. I wouldn't use the Corsair SF1000L because it is SFX-L not SFX. Space is very tight in the Dan below the PSU which is where all the cables end up and with the extra height of the SFX-L it will make cable management very difficult. If you can get one I highly recommend the Corsair SF750, it is smaller and comes with much better cables. Cooling is going to depend on your use case. If this is a gaming and general use computer you will be absolutely fine, if you are running extended all core work loads it will run hot. Cooling in the Dan is designed to pull cool air in through the side panels and exhaust out the top, this keeps the GPU cool but you are running the GPU exhaust through the AIO, it will raise your CPU temps a couple degrees but this has been determined to be the best setup.
Okay, thanks.
Are there any other SF PSUs that have higher wattage? It looks like my system sits at 655W, so I think I need at least 850W minimum.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Okay, thanks.
Are there any other SF PSUs that have higher wattage? It looks like my system sits at 655W, so I think I need at least 850W minimum.
And I think I'm going to try to mount a slim fan at the bottom of the case to get some extra heat out.
Just finished doing more research. Looks like cooler master has a 1100W SFX, but reviews are terrible.

PC part picker estimates my system at 655W. Will the Corsair SF750 be enough power for me?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Your 4070 Ti Super draws a max of 285W, they said the same about my 4070 Ti and I never saw over 250W at stock settings, with an undervolt I am only drawing 165W. Even if it did draw 285W there is no way the 14700k draws over 300W, 250W is max. PCPartPicker is way overestimating your wattage. Take a look on r/sffpc, there are numerous people using a SF750 and RTX 4090s with no problems.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
Either going to go with the Corsair SF750 or the Lian Li SP850.

As for the CPU. Several people suggested doing a non K CPU. I like the i9 14900 (non K), but it is quite a bit more expensive. Would that be a much better chip for this build than the 14700K?
The specs for the 14700 (non K) seem so much worse than the 14700K so it doesn't seem worth it to go that route.

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
I'm sorry but how is the i7 14700 so much worse. It has the exact same core count and cache amounts and is just .2 GHz slower for boost clocks but runs at lower power, this would be the better CPU. I would also wait if you can, Computek 2024 is June 3 - June 7 and there have been a lot of rumours that Corsair is releasing a replacement for the SF750 that is SFX. Odds are they will probably bump the power up to 850W and make them ATX 3.0 compliant.

TantalizingMoon

Cable Smoosher
Original poster
May 24, 2024
I'm sorry but how is the i7 14700 so much worse. It has the exact same core count and cache amounts and is just .2 GHz slower for boost clocks but runs at lower power, this would be the better CPU. I would also wait if you can, Computek 2024 is June 3 - June 7 and there have been a lot of rumours that Corsair is releasing a replacement for the SF750 that is SFX. Odds are they will probably bump the power up to 850W and make them ATX 3.0 compliant.
Was looking at benchmark scores of both and the 14700K seems like it performs much better, maybe I overexaggerated. But it's also got a much better base speed spec. Is that a meaningless spec?
Would you still recommend the 14700 over the 14900 for this build?

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
Actually after looking at some benchmarks it looks like the 14700k performs better than I expected, I would have thought these 2 CPUs would have been closer. I would probably stick with the 14700k, here is a build on PCPartPicker that will give you an idea of temps and they aren't bad.