GPU VEGA NANO

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Do you just select it to "Auto Notify" you when they get in stock? Or do you regularly check the site?
definitely set up auto notify and set your email notifications to alert you. if it wasn't for the 1 per customer limit newegg imposed, those would have been gone by the time i posted.

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
@guryhwa

(...or anyone else who might be able to answer...)

Any pics of the Vega 56 Nano stripped down to the PCB...?

Wondering what thermal pads are used & where, also sizes / thickness...

Thinking of doing a re-seat of the stock (vapor chamber?) heat sink using Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut TIM & Thermal Grizzly minus8 thermal pads...

This would be in a CCD MI-6 chassis, along with a Ryzen 7 2700X...

Thanks...!

Last edited:
Reactions: Soul_Est

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
Can someone who owns a Vega Nano talk about performance? My main GPU is the R9 Nano in an LZ7 case and I'm wondering if this is a good enough upgrade. I play at 1440p. From what I've seen the R9 nano is about as good as a GTX 1060. Maybe 5% better when playing anything above 1080p. Looks like the minimum power requirement is a 650W PSU so my 600W SFF Corsair probably wouldn't cut it huh?

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
AMD will probably start getting bored soon and decide to sell a 2-GPU Vega 128.

MARKETING SPOOF:
Do you feel like your PC isn't hot enough? Need to waste more of your money on power bills? Well, AMD has the solution for you! Introducing the new Vega 128! Featuring 1000 watts of power consumption and a TDP of 600W, all your first-world-problems will be solved! Buy with a Bitfenix Enso and a complimentary Costco card for maximum effectivity in gaming and eating!
(goes on with Costco food court pitch)

Get yours today! Totally not a ripoff! (shows a GTX 690 with a Vega Frontier edition cooler on it)

What would be really OP would be if someone took a Morpheus II from Raijintek and cut the rear section off of the thing to mod it to a mini card. I can only imagine the overkill!!!

HOLY CRAP AMD ACTUALLY WILL DO SOMETHING LIKE THAT OMFG

Majestic

Average Stuffer
May 12, 2018
I went ahead and took the plunge. Newegg is still out of stock of the solo Vega Nano, but for some reason the bundle with the Vega nano+ eGFX enclosure is available. I'm hoping I can sell the enclosure for around $180 to recoup the additional $150 spent, but I have no idea if people are really buying into eGFX enclosures.

MOD Edit: Some content removed. Please, no selling outside of the BST subforum.

Last edited by a moderator:

hyp36rmax

Trash Compacter
May 7, 2018
I went ahead and took the plunge. Newegg is still out of stock of the solo Vega Nano, but for some reason the bundle with the Vega nano+ eGFX enclosure is available. I'm hoping I can sell the enclosure for around $180 to recoup the additional $150 spent, but I have no idea if people are really buying into eGFX enclosures.

MOD Edit: Some content removed. Please, no selling outside of the BST subforum.

I bought the bundle and played around with it on my Razer Blade 2017. Works really well. Eventually mounting the VEGA 56 NANO into my Dr Zaber Sentry. I was thinking of selling the eGPU chassis also, but grown to like it as a companion for my laptop. Thining about modding it to support a GPU water loop.

Reactions: Biowarejak

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
The first nano was impressive
This one? Meh...
I'd rather a 1080ti mini

a 1080 ti mini is 300-400 dollars more. this should be compared to the 1070 ti mini. not that it beats the 1070 ti mini in performance or availability. although the vega nano is a fair bit smaller than either of the ti minis.

NinoPecorino

Tweezer Squeezer
Platinum Supporter
Nov 24, 2017
Yet it requires much more power and a much bulkier PSU

everything i've read indicates roughly 30 watts higher on the full-size vega56 compared to the 1070 ti. there's no way a card as small as the nano is going to be as power hungry. it's limited by the size of the cooler.

I, too, am a bit confused as to the efficacy of the Vega Nano. I like that it exists but I don't see it actually being the best choice in many situations

i can't think of almost any scenario where it would be a better option, but i do see it being the best choice in a brickless s4m build with the new hdplex 400 ac-dc. i'm sure, after saying that, someone will make a brickless 1080 ti mini build though.

Reactions: Biowarejak

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
I, too, am a bit confused as to the efficacy of the Vega Nano. I like that it exists but I don't see it actually being the best choice in many situations
I think it's a good competitive time to wait: NVidia will most likely use this as a reason for their future move to HBM2, and NVidia will probably develop better mini cards. For now, one can dream about mini cards using VRMs on both sides of the board ;).
But yeah, with cards like the CERBERUS cards from ASUS and the Gigabyte/ZOTAC mini cards, there is something to be desired.

For better cooling, though, I think a good idea for mini cards in general is to have a heatsink with a hole in the middle (a la iCX from EVGA), and then have an "add in card" that sticks up vertically from the board into the heatsink. The pros would be direct heatsink contact and better airflow, but it would most likely decrease efficiency.

For now, we can hope these come to the consumer market:
https://www.google.com/search?q=mxm...rome..69i57.6026j0j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

EDIT:
Here's a better one:
https://www.notebookcheck.net/Euroc...-your-desktop-with-a-laptop-GPU.241042.0.html

Now what we need is a "full-coverage" (similar to the EKWB product) heatsinks designed to either (or both) all the motherboard and RAM and/or all of the graphics card, tailored for specific motherboard layouts and specific cases.