GPU VEGA NANO

ondert

Airflow Optimizer
Apr 16, 2017
Actually, this card would be the best choice as an external gpu for Mac if you put it in an sff enclosure. However, there is no such case for now. At least Gigabyte is doing really well with its gaming box series.

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
To anyone who is running the Vega Nano, have you been able to undervolt the card while simultaneously boosting performance? Curious to know if an undervolted VNano would sit between the 1070ti and 1080 from nVidia.

Sean Crees

Airflow Optimizer
Jan 1, 2017
Just too much power draw for my taste. I'm already hesitent to put 180w worth of heat from a 1080 in my case, i really don't want to put something even worse in it.

Reactions: loader963

Kmpkt

Innovation through Miniaturization
KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Just too much power draw for my taste. I'm already hesitent to put 180w worth of heat from a 1080 in my case, i really don't want to put something even worse in it.

If you look at the following article (translated from German) you can see how well this GPU can undervolt:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html&edit-text=

Obviously there is an element of Silicon Lottery here as evidenced by the results on this video, but you can see that when undervolted, the card consistently outperforms the Vega 64 on stock settings and routinely trades punches with the GTX 1080. All of this with a reduction in power consumption in the neighbourhood of 75W.

I'm planning to put my Nano in the S4M with the largest stable undervolt I can.

Last edited:

rfarmer

Spatial Philosopher
Jul 7, 2017
If you look at the following article (translated from German) you can see how well this GPU can undervolt:

https://translate.google.de/translate?sl=de&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=de&ie=UTF-8&u=https://www.hardwareluxx.de/index.php/artikel/hardware/grafikkarten/44084-amd-radeon-rx-vega-56-und-vega-64-im-undervolting-test.html&edit-text=

Obviously there is an element of Silicon Lottery here as evidenced by the results on this video, but you can see that when undervolted, the card consistently outperforms the Vega 64 on stock settings and routinely trades punches with the GTX 1080. All of this with a reduction in power consumption in the neighbourhood of 75W.

I'm planning to put my Nano in the S4M with the largest stable undervolt I can.

If you can get that kind of performance with a 75w undervolt and pick it up for the $450 Newegg had it listed at it would be a great deal. I am curious to see how it performs in the S4M.

Reactions: TheHig

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I am curious to see how it performs in the S4M.

I ordered one and had it sent straight to @Josh | NFC. Hopefully we'll have an answer to that question soon.

Provided it works as well as I am hoping in the S4M, my Orangulan Deux build will consist of this GPU, my KMPKT Dynamo Combo, the prototype HDPlex 400W AC-DC, X470 Fatal1ty with 2700X and the KMPKT Curve heatsink prototype : )

Jello

Airflow Optimizer
Nov 15, 2016
Not sure if I posted this before, but it's nice to see they drop DVI, and added some slots for venting.

TheHig

King of Cable Management
Oct 13, 2016
Nice info in the German review site. Showing the power draw down to 321W for the system after the under volt gives some confidence.

Once the card’s sweet spot is found maybe a bios flash with those settings to make it permanent?

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
Once the card’s sweet spot is found maybe a bios flash with those settings to make it permanent?

That's what I'm planning. The OC3D video also suggest that the thermal throttling on the Nano might be set to around 75C. Better cooling and/or a reflash would likely go a long way to improving performance. If you can get the Hardwareluxx performance on the Vega Nano that would be pretty exciting IMO.

Kmpkt

KMPKT
Feb 1, 2016
I'd make my own shroud and power adapted to be paired with two 80 x 15 Noiseblocker fans and used with the stock heatsink.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

el01

King of Cable Management
Jun 4, 2018
Was watching YouTube during lunch, found this:
A goldmine of mini, small, performance-oriented, quiet GPUs. Thought it was cool.

Lupercal

Caliper Novice
Sep 14, 2017
I ordered one and had it sent straight to @Josh | NFC. Hopefully we'll have an answer to that question soon.

Provided it works as well as I am hoping in the S4M, my Orangulan Deux build will consist of this GPU, my KMPKT Dynamo Combo, the prototype HDPlex 400W AC-DC, X470 Fatal1ty with 2700X and the KMPKT Curve heatsink prototype : )

Everything you just said sounds very exciting.

I've never undervolted or OCd a GPU, but I'd really like to do it on my nano. I'm not necessarily after higher performance, but I would like to see temps lowered.

Reactions: NinoPecorino

Boil

SFF Guru
Nov 11, 2015
...X470 Fatal1ty with 2700X...

Please let us know about temps & such, especially the VRM temps on the motherboard & the M.2 temps on the backside of the motherboard...

I really want to put together a Ryzen / Vega Hackintosh build; just swinging back & forth between a small air-cooled (CCD MI-6) build & a larger water-cooled (CI MachOne) build...

Last edited:

E-Rod

Chassis Packer
May 23, 2018
Got mine today from Newegg (via the eGPU enclosure combo).

I’m getting power cuts (PC turns off) when running 3D Mark Sky Diver benchmark. This is both with standard and power saver profiles in Wattman.

My setup is a S4M (Ryzen 5 2600) with HDPLEX 400W + Dell 330w brick. Suspect that undervolting will be necessary.

Going to hook it up to a wattage meter and do some more digging this weekend.